Where To Retire?

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
I am too, but many foreigners will tell you its a 'sh&t hole'

I visited there once and found it to be a nice place on first take. My only concern was the raw sewerage being pumped into the ocean along the ocean walk in the town centre. I haven't seen that in Cebu...yet 

Jeff R
Posted
Posted

I would like to weigh in on this topic as it is very important to me. First! I have never been to the Philippines. I am just 7 weeks away from retiring there. We oringinally chose to settle in and around Dumaguette until we heard from a number of Filipino's about a small city called Puerto Princesa on the island of Palawan. Being one of the most beautiful places in the Philippines, it also meets all of your requirements which are the same as mine. Just minutes north of the city is the Palawan Adventist Hospital. You are also with minutes of a new Robinson Place Mall which has a movie theater, including 3D. No pollution and the air doesn't get any cleaner. Puerto Princesa is a very clean, very green, very safe city. Of course this info comes from months of research and word of mouth as I have never been. We will also rent to make sure we have made the right decision. I would be most interested on the opinions of others about Puerto Princesa.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Weather: I am good with hot and humid Philippines; Janet might like a bit cooler. She's been asking about Baguio, which sounds nice but might actually be too cool for me. The older I get the more I like it hot. Health/Medical: While I am approaching my dotage, I am in excellent heath with no issues but I don't think it would be wise to be 10 hours from the nearest hospital either.
Heat can be adjusted by chosing altitude. Perhaps you and your wife can find a compromise height both find ok, plus you can be in the sun while your wife is in the shadow  :)

An other factor, which can be interesting to add, can depend of what VISA you will use = Is it important for you to be close to such office, and can the closest handle the VISA type you want.

Needed distance to family depend much of how good/bad they are. Some even like to live in same house while others feel they need to live on an other continent...  :)

Summary: Perhaps a bit upphill in province of Carcar or Sibonga can suit you?

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

Southern Leyte along Sogod Bay is nice and meets what you are looking for. It is rural, Sogod is the closest larger town but not that big at all. No medical facility's to speak of.

I would love to visit Southern Leyte. Unfortunately Janet just left there - 5 years of school and work in Maasin - and is not anxious to return. Maybe she will warm up in a couple years.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

I'm a big fan of Dumaguete and Negros Oriental in general as well.  Spent a lot of time there, it's about 2 hours by bus South of where SAO and I are renovating a house.  Dumaguete is a University town so the infrastructure across the board is solid.  Water is clean, scenery wonderful, city is clean with a population of about 120k so all the facilities you mention are there.  Admittedly I'm biased but traveled PI a lot and I fell in love with Dumaguete almost immediately and being provincial cost of living is lower than somewhere like Manila or Cebu.

I believe our fellow forum member Peter Jackson lives in Dumaguete proper so could probably fill you in on the detail. 

Dumaguete sounds like it's definitely worth a visit. I think I will try to avoid mentioning the several universities there since Janet may assume it's the co-eds I want to see :)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
raw sewerage being pumped into the ocean along the ocean walk in the town centre. I haven't seen that in Cebu...yet 

In Cebu, just off the wharf, round about pier 3, when I came in on a ferry that put the motor into reverse (to slow down on approach) I noticed the propellers stirring up a literal sh&t storm of raw sewage.  It stunk worse than any day along the boulevard in Dumaguete and I suspect that is one place raw sewage is going, fortunately it is deep enough that the residents don't notice it.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I liked Dumaguete. As just a visitor living in a hotel, I did notice that when I did not have plans I was making a great circle that included Robinsons mall, either shopping, seeing a movie or getting some lunch, I would go there every day :) whether I thought I should or not. It would be different if I had a home of my own to putter about with my own business. I walked every day, yes there is sewage draining at the Boulevard, my girl didn't believe me until I pointed the pipe out. I still liked the city and have recommended it to a friend. It's a bustling little city. I could live there I think if it were closer to Bacolod, sometimes I just need a big city. I just missed meeting Jack Peterson which I feel was my loss.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
In Cebu, just off the wharf, round about pier 3

Yes I'm sure that it is around and probably more places too. It's just a pity that the raw sewerage was very noticeable when Mimi and I had a bit of a photo shot along the boulevard in Dumaguete. Spoiled what was otherwise a lovely place. Oh well, you get that 

Edited by Fred & Mimi

jpbago
Posted
Posted

In Cebu, just off the wharf, round about pier 3

Yes I'm sure that it is around and probably more places too. It's just a pity that the raw sewerage was very noticeable when Mimi and I had a bit of a photo shot along the boulevard in Dumaguete. Spoiled what was otherwise a lovely place. Oh well, you get that 

All the resorts and hotels on Mactan Island pump raw sewage to their man made beach fronts as does Boracay and most if not all cities/resorts in PI.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Philippine government is starting to designate certain municipalities as priority areas for the development of residential communities for both domestic and international retirees. The example is Talisay near Bacolod City. The idea is to have a first class hospital, shopping mall, recreational facilities, etc. within 15 to 45 minutes to a 2nd tiered city. I believe Dumaguete or some place close to it is another one. Dumaguete is a "de facto" host to an expat community numbering around 2,000. Most are Germans. The community grew without the government realizing its existence.  

• Like 2