Where To Retire?

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I would like to weigh in on this topic as it is very important to me. First! I have never been to the Philippines. I am just 7 weeks away from retiring there. We oringinally chose to settle in and around Dumaguette until we heard from a number of Filipino's about a small city called Puerto Princesa on the island of Palawan. Being one of the most beautiful places in the Philippines, it also meets all of your requirements which are the same as mine. Just minutes north of the city is the Palawan Adventist Hospital. You are also with minutes of a new Robinson Place Mall which has a movie theater, including 3D. No pollution and the air doesn't get any cleaner. Puerto Princesa is a very clean, very green, very safe city. Of course this info comes from months of research and word of mouth as I have never been. We will also rent to make sure we have made the right decision. I would be most interested on the opinions of others about Puerto Princesa.

I have been to Palawan several times. It also meets all my retirement requirements. I am a real water person, so the secluded reefs are a real attraction for me.

• Like 1

Hewy09
Posted
Posted

When I retire I too am considering Palawan or Tagapul-an Samar. The reefs and waters around Palawan are very attractive as I am a PADI IDC staff instructor and can't stay away from water. It's been killing me for the past 2 years to be out due to shoulder surgery.

Tagapul-an is beautiful but nothing there no electricity no shopping no roads, just basic living.

Sent from my iPhone. buhay ay mahusay na! magsaya.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

When I retire I too am considering Palawan or Tagapul-an Samar. The reefs and waters around Palawan are very attractive as I am a PADI IDC staff instructor and can't stay away from water. It's been killing me for the past 2 years to be out due to shoulder surgery.

Tagapul-an is beautiful but nothing there no electricity no shopping no roads, just basic living.

Sent from my iPhone. buhay ay mahusay na! magsaya.

You will really like the area. I have dived some of the more remote areas around the island. Very cool.

• 2 weeks later...
Miguk
Posted
Posted

The Philippine government is starting to designate certain municipalities as priority areas for the development of residential communities for both domestic and international retirees. The example is Talisay near Bacolod City. The idea is to have a first class hospital, shopping mall, recreational facilities, etc. within 15 to 45 minutes to a 2nd tiered city. I believe Dumaguete or some place close to it is another one. Dumaguete is a "de facto" host to an expat community numbering around 2,000. Most are Germans. The community grew without the government realizing its existence.

Do you know of any places on Luzon?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I met with a group of Philippine medical doctors and a visiting delegation who are officials with the Federation of Philippine American Chambers of Commerce. A picnic was arranged for the group that included roasting a free-range turkey. That was one tough bird. The flavor was excellent if you enjoy chewing.

We are looking at Tanauan, Malvar and Lipa City in Batangas as the ideal location for Fil-Am retirees. Reasons include:

1.The location is accessible using the South Luzon and STAR expressway from Metro Manila. Travel time is about one hour fifteen minutes.

2. Property values are more reasonable than Santa Rosa and Tagaytay.

3. Elevation is 600 to 900 feet above sea level.

4. Excellent hospitals in the area. Asian Hospital is a world class facility that is accessible for those who need specialize care.

5. Abundance of fruits and vegetables. Fish comes from Talisay Lake and Port of Batangas.

We did not consider recreational activities because our market are elderly seniors who need assisted living, skilled nursing and memory care services.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Where is Asian Hospital JJ?  The reason I ask is because we pretty much thought our only option would be to go to Manila (from Marinduque) if we require world class health care.  We also heard about some hospitals in Laguna, but are unsure as to how they compare with Makati Med or St Lukes (in Q.C.).

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Asian Hospital is in Alabang, South of Manila along the Southern Luzon Expressway.

Miguk
Posted
Posted (edited)

I met with a group of Philippine medical doctors and a visiting delegation who are officials with the Federation of Philippine American Chambers of Commerce. A picnic was arranged for the group that included roasting a free-range turkey. That was one tough bird. The flavor was excellent if you enjoy chewing.

We are looking at Tanauan, Malvar and Lipa City in Batangas as the ideal location for Fil-Am retirees. Reasons include:

1.The location is accessible using the South Luzon and STAR expressway from Metro Manila. Travel time is about one hour fifteen minutes.

2. Property values are more reasonable than Santa Rosa and Tagaytay.

3. Elevation is 600 to 900 feet above sea level.

4. Excellent hospitals in the area. Asian Hospital is a world class facility that is accessible for those who need specialize care.

5. Abundance of fruits and vegetables. Fish comes from Talisay Lake and Port of Batangas.

We did not consider recreational activities because our market are elderly seniors who need assisted living, skilled nursing and memory care services.

Thanks.  I am almost in my dotage so I will have someplace to perhaps call home.  BTW I used to live in Makakilo.  Did they ever move the government out there like they were planning?

Where is Asian Hospital JJ?  The reason I ask is because we pretty much thought our only option would be to go to Manila (from Marinduque) if we require world class health care.  We also heard about some hospitals in Laguna, but are unsure as to how they compare with Makati Med or St Lukes (in Q.C.).

They also have a St. Lukes in Global City.  It is top notch. Asian Hospital is one of the few places that takes Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans from the U.S.

Edited by Miguk

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Thanks.  I am almost in my dotage so I will have someplace to perhaps call home.  BTW I used to live in Makakilo.  Did they ever move the government out there like they were planning?

No. But they did spend millions doing studies. The consultants were "friends of friends."

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
No. But they did spend millions doing studies. The consultants were "friends of friends."

Ah, good to see nepotism is as healthy in PI as it is in the rest of the world :thumbsup:

• Like 1