May Come As A Bit Of A Surprise To Some

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

After this still relatively recent bus episode in the Philippines tourist disaster stories with no guarantees that they can prevent another plus all the kidnappings and fighting in Mindanao, the general but well informed tourist would be frightened to come here. The slogan says it's fun in the Philippines, as a whole not just parts of it so it could be easy to believe that it's unsafe everywhere in RP.

I saw a family of 4 in Manila on my first trip in RP at the same place I had my fine gold chain snatched off my neck and they looked so vulnerable to me. Perhaps the key to a great holiday in RP for the average tourist is ignorance mixed with lots of luck.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

After this still relatively recent bus episode in the Philippines tourist disaster stories with no guarantees that they can prevent another plus all the kidnappings and fighting in Mindanao, the general but well informed tourist would be frightened to come here. The slogan says it's fun in the Philippines, as a whole not just parts of it so it could be easy to believe that it's unsafe everywhere in RP.

I saw a family of 4 in Manila on my first trip in RP at the same place I had my fine gold chain snatched off my neck and they looked so vulnerable to me. Perhaps the key to a great holiday in RP for the average tourist is ignorance mixed with lots of luck.

As a Canadian living on the border with the USA, I get to hear all the horror stories coming from south... If I listened to them, I would never ever talk to an American for fear of my safety or even my life! Honestly, after reading the news for both daily? I'd rather go to the Philippines than the US... It sounds much safer!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Do not kid your self Bob the Philippines can be a very very dangerous place

At least in the states if you have a problem you can phone 911 and have some help on the way

I am sure every member here can tell a story or 2 about how dangerous it can be here but street smarts keep you safe here not any kind of police force

This country is not safe for unseasoned travellers and that is why travel agents do not

Promote it

The only people promoting the phils are old guys and we know why

Take away the beautiful willing woman and theres very little reason to retire here

As for a tourist destination its so far in the future we may never see it so many problems to address before people will give up places like Thailand or Mexico

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Take away the beautiful willing woman and theres very little reason to retire here

Much as I have grown to love the place, I would never have given it serious consideration without them.  And the second best part is they understand English well enough.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Just saw this on MSN Travel: http://travel.ca.msn.com/10-sunny-spots-for-canadians-to-escape-winter

For white sand beaches and pristine reefs, Philippines did not make the top 10. Australia did.

Dave and Cebu R, you forgot to mention the cheap booze.                        

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Well if you want honest

Cheap booze , smokes , and young girls willing to put up with fat old men for the love of there familys its a bonus some can speak s little english

I also see the other side great weather and well thats it

I do love the Phils and its people for the most part but you need to keep both eyes open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Since this thread was first started, I have looked at every Travel Agency I have walked past.   A total of 7 scattered and random companies between Niagara Falls, St Catharines, Hamilton and Mississauga.  I missed Toronto by 2 blocks.  Sorry.  6 of the 7 had at least a large poster of the Philippines in a predominate place.  3 had posters and/or other information in their windows and elaborate presentations made to catch the eye.  Two were pushing Sinulog / Cebu and 4 were pushing the beach destinations.  Not one said much about Manila.  Oops!  So I would have to say that local Travel Agencies are in fact promoting the Philippines quite extensively.  And we all know that there is little difference between that you will get locally now compared to online...  I would have to say the Philippines is becoming a very popular spot for tourism!

As for the Philippines being dangerous?  It would appear that some people have a tendency to either put themselves in danger or have not put much thought into how to make their lives safer.  Unfortunately this is a vast majority of the tourist class.  But it also seems to be a number of Expats who live in the Philippines as well.  It does not matter what country or city you are in - you will be facing some inherent danger depending on where you are and how prepared you are.  If you can't accept that, you really have no business travelling to other countries.    :no:   Seriously, we all know there are dangerous places to go and, yes, that applies to every city in every country throughout the entire world.  Please, just present the facts in relation to the thread.  Please don't make every post sound like the whole country is a lawless mess - for it is not.  If it was, some of our more anxious members would have, through their actions, caused themselves to cease to exist long ago.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Since I wrote the above, I have calmed down over something that happened outside the forum.  Unfortunately I also lit into what some will infer to be some of our members.  In case anyone is wondering, no, there is nobody in particular I was speaking about or to - just blowing off a lot of steam over because somebody knowingly slammed the Philippines for no good reason.  Unfortunately his wife is also Filipino.  So I am apologizing to everyone here for my words (though please listen to them as there is a lot of truth in them) and then I am going to let this person's wife know what he said.  May he rest in peace when she is done with him.

Somebody may ask...  Why don't I delete the above?  It's already out there and I won't hide it but I will apologize for my mistakes.

brock
Posted
Posted

Well I have decided I will never live in the Philippines again,  I do not want to live in a country were I dare not express my opinion or argue with someone and make them lose face and hope they do not come back with a gun and shoot me, Or dare not complain about the noise at 3 in the morning from my neighbor  incase he hires a hitman for 10 quid to kill me, If I have an accident I want medical attention right away, Not wait until I recover consciousness for them  to see if I have any money, I want to have the feeling that I am not going to be  ripped off every time I go out the house,  I want to be able to get things done without all the bullsh&t that goes with it, I want to be able to walk on the pavement with out the fear of falling down a 6 foot hole, Or ride my bike with out wondering if their will even be a road round the next bend.

I could go on and on but I wont as it may offend some people who think the Philippines is Paradise,,,,But in truth, It isnt, unless you love the smell of piss.

The Philippines will never be a major tourist destination,,,Thats not my opinion,,,Thats a fact.....Thats my rant over....

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
As for the Philippines being dangerous?  It would appear that some people have a tendency to either put themselves in danger or have not put much thought into how to make their lives safer.  Unfortunately this is a vast majority of the tourist class.  But it also seems to be a number of Expats who live in the Philippines as well.  It does not matter what country or city you are in - you will be facing some inherent danger depending on where you are and how prepared you are.  If you can't accept that, you really have no business travelling to other countries.

Unfortunately, you missed the part about trying to call 911 when you need help. That was the gist of the point.