May Come As A Bit Of A Surprise To Some

Markham
Posted
Posted
So, other than being called on for being insulting to the members, their wives, the Philippine people and country, your main complaint is that prices have gone up? Good reason, sir! I commend you!

You may not like the message but Brock speaks the truth; you will not truly understand this country or see it for what it is until you have lived here for some time. You will then realise that they only right you have is to spend your foreign currency; everything else is subject to the whim of an official, including the ability to leave the country.

Has Brock made the right decision? He believes he has and has the benefit of eleven years' experience of living in this country. But I think the shine of the comparative positives of life in the UK will fade just as the shine of life here has become tarnished for him. In other words, nowhere is perfect.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Has Brock made the right decision? He believes he has and has the benefit of eleven years' experience of living in this country

Maybe he will stay in the Netherlands for a few years, then Spain, or Germany. Maybe he will buy the houseboat and go from country to country. It is a big world out there.

• Like 1

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

"I want to be able to walk on the pavement with out the fear of falling down a 6 foot hole"

Had to laugh. Reminded me to much of India, Thailand, Cambodia. Just today I walking in the CBD of Auckland and thought to myself at least I don't have to worry about falling into an open sewer. LOL.

• Like 1

efigy
Posted
Posted

not to bash bob,,,but its not easy to sleep at night here mate,,,after all my stuff was stolen while we slept,,,to defend my self and protect my partner and son i will have an illegal hand gun this week,,,no use calling police,,,you have to defend your self,,,hope to have container to load my stuff for return to aust this week,,i would say also that people exist here,,they dont live,,,,also scared of reprisals,,

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
no use calling police

What gets my goat is when you do drive to the police station, pick up a couple officers, and bring them around to 'investigate', then they say things like:  "Well these people are poor so breaking in and stealing things is what they do" and "By the way, you have a beautiful wife" and "Also my brother in law needs a job, maybe you need a security guard",  and "We know who took your things but we have no evidence and no money to investigate" and then later a friend drops by and says the cops told her confidentially that they could lock the guy up for stealing my stuff if I went to them with a small sum of money and 'witnessed' that he was the one I "saw" break into my house.

If you are a victim of crime or of the police, you are xxxx!

• Like 4

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

no use calling police

What gets my goat is when you do drive to the police station, pick up a couple officers, and bring them around to 'investigate', then they say things like:  "Well these people are poor so breaking in and stealing things is what they do" and "By the way, you have a beautiful wife" and "Also my brother in law needs a job, maybe you need a security guard",  and "We know who took your things but we have no evidence and no money to investigate" and then later a friend drops by and says the cops told her confidentially that they could lock the guy up for stealing my stuff if I went to them with a small sum of money and 'witnessed' that he was the one I "saw" break into my house.

If you are a victim of crime or of the police, you are xxxx!

Agreed getting the cops to help is almost pointless unless you want to see them hit on your wife 

But if you grease their palms stuff happens fast   (this can work against you BIG TIME)

• 2 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

not to bash bob,,,but its not easy to sleep at night here mate,,,after all my stuff was stolen while we slept,,,to defend my self and protect my partner and son i will have an illegal hand gun this week,,,no use calling police,,,you have to defend your self,,,hope to have container to load my stuff for return to aust this week,,i would say also that people exist here,,they dont live,,,,also scared of reprisals,,

Not sure but you seem to think that break and enter only happens in the Philippines while one is at home. On the radio here in Australia they are saying 26% of break ins happen when someone is at home. In the Philippines or anywhere for that matter could depend on where one lives, what style of accommodation or even basic security measures one has. A condo would probably be the most secure in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Not sure but you seem to think that break and enter only happens in the Philippines while one is at home. On the radio here in Australia they are saying 26% of break ins happen when someone is at home. In the Philippines or anywhere for that matter could depend on where one lives, what style of accommodation or even basic security measures one has. A condo would probably be the most secure in my opinion. 

Well. Police is bad in other places too. Not concerning murder and such, but concerning break ins and such is the Swedish police crap too.

A week ago I got decision in their "investigation". They SKIPED it "can't be proven" although they HAVEN'T even made any interrogation with the man I told it's probably, because I SAW him acting very suspicios, and I told them where he is!!! :1 (72):

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I wish that the PI had a record like Peel in solving crimes:

But it was no surprise to those who know the reputation of Peel Regional police's homicide department. Its clearance rate (the number of cases closed) is one of the highest in Canada. Detectives in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon have solved 100 per cent of the region's murders in three of the past four years, and are close to doing it again in 2009 (a warrant has been issued in the remaining case).

It's an almost unheard-of record.

Peel's success is even more impressive, given the rising number of homicides in the region. The three most recent years have seen the most homicides in the Peel force's history, with a record-setting 27 in 2008 and 21 in 2009 as of Wednesday. This trend is partly due to sheer population growth, and partly the result of gentrification and police pressure pushing crime out of central Toronto.

"There's been a suburbanization of homicides. The suburbs of yesterday have become the inner cities of today," says Michael Chettleburgh, founder of Astwood Strategy Corp., a crime and social justice consultancy group.

Many of Peel's homicides this year fit this trend of difficult-to-solve, gang-related, drug-related or stranger-on-stranger killings:

Andres David Buritrica-Marin, 25, was killed during a botched drug drop behind a Mississauga condominium building June 2.

Jermaine "Peter" Scott, a 29-year-old father of one, was stabbed to death March 15 after an alleged fight with strangers in a bar.

George Kalogerakis, 38, a computer store employee, was tied up and shot dead in the basement of his Brampton house during a drug-related home invasion Nov. 12.

But as the killings have risen, so have the resources devoted to solving and preventing crime. Every year, the Peel force adds about 27 officers.

"We talk to the chief to make sure police have enough people to respond to incidents, to get witnesses," says Emil Kolb, chair of the Peel Police Services Board, adding the region has also placed police officers in schools.

Deploying large numbers of officers quickly to a murder scene to interview witnesses and gather potential evidence is one of the keys to Peel detectives' success – what police refer to as "front-end loading" an investigation.

"We have a large amount of manpower dedicated to the investigation for the first period of time," says Const. Wayne Patterson. "There's critical evidence to be captured early in the investigation. We gather as much information as we can as early as we can."

That's how police made the arrests in the Hughes-Palmer slayings. Detectives canvassed the area and used surveillance footage to get licence plate numbers for people who had fled the party. Tracking down these reluctant witnesses eventually led them to suspects.

Officers also found a cellphone at the scene that contained photos of the party shortly before the shooting began, which helped investigators figure out who had been there.

Unlike a traditional homicide department, which has detectives working in pairs, Peel uses a team approach.

Each homicide is assigned a lead detective and a file coordinator. Under them is a group of detectives and other officers – sometimes more than 20 – that canvasses for witnesses and runs down leads. The whole group is overseen by a senior officer.

Tradition may also help explain Peel's success. In a Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics report on homicides from 1976 to 2005, the department had the fourth-best clearance rate in the country for forces policing over 150,000 people, with nearly 95 per cent of homicides solved.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

We know that crime happens everywhere, especially in poor area. But the main difference is the police response. There's a book called "For the Love of My Son" written by a British woman, Margaret Davis, about the murder of her son (by the wife and b/f) in Manila in 2003 and the hell she went through to get justice. The police don't care, if not for her efforts there is a 100% certainty they would have gotten away with it. Interesting read for anyone considering living here.

• Like 1