May Come As A Bit Of A Surprise To Some

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Well I have decided I will never live in the Philippines again, I do not want to live in a country were I dare not express my opinion or argue with someone and make them lose face and hope they do not come back with a gun and shoot me, Or dare not complain about the noise at 3 in the morning from my neighbor incase he hires a hitman for 10 quid to kill me, If I have an accident I want medical attention right away, Not wait until I recover consciousness for them to see if I have any money, I want to have the feeling that I am not going to be ripped off every time I go out the house, I want to be able to get things done without all the bullsh&t that goes with it, I want to be able to walk on the pavement with out the fear of falling down a 6 foot hole, Or ride my bike with out wondering if their will even be a road round the next bend.

I could go on and on but I wont as it may offend some people who think the Philippines is Paradise,,,,But in truth, It isnt, unless you love the smell of piss.

The Philippines will never be a major tourist destination,,,Thats not my opinion,,,Thats a fact.....Thats my rant over....

If you hate it so much, why did you bother to stick around the Philippines? Was there anything about the Philippines that you ever liked? Seriously - people don't have all those problems as quickly as you did... Nobody ever said the Philippines doesn't have their own unique set of problems. But to be as bad as you said? So sad... So bon voyage and enjoy your life back in the wonderful perfect Great Briton. What's that? They aren't letting you back in? How could they do that to you? What a wonderful country, don't you think?

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

The Philippines is a place that if you let it, It will wear you down. We are use to a certain way of life and to come to a place that is totally different is hard to adjust to. I understand Brocks frustrations and seems he has had enough. There are a lot of good things about the Philippines and a lot of bad. You have to take the bad with the good.

I spend 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the Philippines and they both have their good and bad points. As for safety here in the Philippines, Yes it can be dangerous but mostly if you go looking for it. I have not encountered any problems in the 5 years I have been coming here, But yes lots of frustrations.

This has to to be the best place to get your ego boosted and the weather is great, Except for the last 3 weeks. Im still waterlogged.

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted

Bob, Have you ever lived in the Philippines ?,,, Can I ask you how many times you have been there ?,,, You seem to think that the Philippines is some kind of wonderful Paradise, But it isnt, I speak as I find it, Some people may think its the best place on earth, I just dont, its not for me.

Why did I bother to stick around the Philippines,,,,,,,,,, because I have Family there.

Was their anything I liked about the Philippines,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes some things,,,But for me the bad far outweigh the good in my eyes.

People don't have these problems as quickly as I did ?,,,,,,,,,,, I first came to the Philippines about 20 years ago,,,I have lived there 11 years.

To be as bad as I said ????,,,,,If you say it isnt ,Then obviously you have never been to the Philippines,,,,Can you point out anything I have said that isn't  true ?.

Guys go on the internet and get chatting to a young girl who wouldn't give them the time of day in their own country, Then they start reading about the Philippines and see all the beautiful holiday resorts and lovely beaches, And think yes I want to live there,,,They seem to close their eyes to all the sh&t , Because they now have a girl who is probably much younger than they are and they are in love.

wonderful perfect Great Briton. What's that? They aren't letting you back in?,,,,,,,No Briton is not perfect, Far from it, But I know where I would sooner be if ever the sh%t hit the fan,,,,,I can come and go as I please, No restrictions on me, It is when you want to bring a Filipina into the country that you have to jump through hoops, Most probably the same as you would have to do in Canada and any other Western Country, Because they know that if a Filipino enters the country Most of them wouldn't want to go back to that Paradise.

What a wonderful country, don't you think?,,,,,,,Yes I do think its a wonderful Country,,,,,Perfect,,No.

At one time the Philippines was a very cheap place to live or visit, Now it is much more expensive, Their are not many things that are cheaper there than England, That is a fact.

When people take off their rose colored glasses, They will see that what I have said is true because I have lived there,,,Not something I have read about.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Bob, Have you ever lived in the Philippines ?,,, Can I ask you how many times you have been there ?,,, You seem to think that the Philippines is some kind of wonderful Paradise, But it isnt, I speak as I find it, Some people may think its the best place on earth, I just dont, its not for me.

Why did I bother to stick around the Philippines,,,,,,,,,, because I have Family there.

Was their anything I liked about the Philippines,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes some things,,,But for me the bad far outweigh the good in my eyes.

People don't have these problems as quickly as I did ?,,,,,,,,,,, I first came to the Philippines about 20 years ago,,,I have lived there 11 years.

To be as bad as I said ????,,,,,If you say it isnt ,Then obviously you have never been to the Philippines,,,,Can you point out anything I have said that isn't true ?.

Guys go on the internet and get chatting to a young girl who wouldn't give them the time of day in their own country, Then they start reading about the Philippines and see all the beautiful holiday resorts and lovely beaches, And think yes I want to live there,,,They seem to close their eyes to all the sh&t , Because they now have a girl who is probably much younger than they are and they are in love.

wonderful perfect Great Briton. What's that? They aren't letting you back in?,,,,,,,No Briton is not perfect, Far from it, But I know where I would sooner be if ever the sh%t hit the fan,,,,,I can come and go as I please, No restrictions on me, It is when you want to bring a Filipina into the country that you have to jump through hoops, Most probably the same as you would have to do in Canada and any other Western Country, Because they know that if a Filipino enters the country Most of them wouldn't want to go back to that Paradise.

What a wonderful country, don't you think?,,,,,,,Yes I do think its a wonderful Country,,,,,Perfect,,No.

At one time the Philippines was a very cheap place to live or visit, Now it is much more expensive, Their are not many things that are cheaper there than England, That is a fact.

When people take off their rose colored glasses, They will see that what I have said is true because I have lived there,,,Not something I have read about.

So, other than being called on for being insulting to the members, their wives, the Philippine people and country, your main complaint is that prices have gone up? Good reason, sir! I commend you!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Bob once you come to the country and the rose colored glasses wear off you will see it different 

I believe you have never spent any time in country and your fantasy is far from the real day to day that expats put up with .

I have been visiting for 6 years with at least 3 boots on the ground and you remind me of myself at first

At first i could not believe the friendly people and the beautiful girls and wanted to move and retire ASAP

After 6 months I could not wait to go home after 6 months at home i could not wait to get back

In my 6 years I have seen about a 50% loss of my friends back to there home countrys because of the bullsh&t encountered 

If you never have to deal with any government agency you will stay longer itswhen you build a house or try start a business that you get the frustration

levels to new highs 

When you live here and see home invasions,Old guys getting half beat to death , young woman get murdered for the smallest slights,corruption at every government agency ,And the FACT you have no rights to anything including a fair trial 

From my experience the guys that last long term have isolated themselfs from the locals for the most part and the guys who don,t go home shaking there heads .

I know you have in the past said I,m negative about the Phils but that is not true at all In fact I love it for the most part BUT as a tourist not as a expat

I have found that the day to day life of living in one place and dealing with the guy next door etc drives me nuts 

I have heard all the arguments that i,m not assimilating into the culture And I agree but I,m not going to start a ton of bad habits just so I can be a local

We all experiencethings in a different manner but the reality of the Philippines is far far from a tourist guide or a online forum 

The truth is here waiting for you to come and get some   

In the end I always say what do you expect its a 3rd world country  you have to lower your standard on everything 

• Like 5

brock
Posted
Posted

Bob, Can you please show me where I was insulting to the Members and their wives ???.

All I have said is the truth, From my eyes and nothing else.

You seemed to be the one that was being a little sarcastic towards me, But that doesn't bother me one little bit.

You still haven't said how many times you have been over to the Philippines.

Until you have lived over here, Don`t believe everything you read in travel brochures.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Bob once you come to the country and the rose colored glasses wear off you will see it different 

I believe you have never spent any time in country and your fantasy is far from the real day to day that expats put up with .

I have been visiting for 6 years with at least 3 boots on the ground and you remind me of myself at first

At first i could not believe the friendly people and the beautiful girls and wanted to move and retire ASAP

After 6 months I could not wait to go home after 6 months at home i could not wait to get back

In my 6 years I have seen about a 50% loss of my friends back to there home countrys because of the bullsh&t encountered 

If you never have to deal with any government agency you will stay longer itswhen you build a house or try start a business that you get the frustration

levels to new highs 

When you live here and see home invasions,Old guys getting half beat to death , young woman get murdered for the smallest slights,corruption at every government agency ,And the FACT you have no rights to anything including a fair trial 

From my experience the guys that last long term have isolated themselfs from the locals for the most part and the guys who don,t go home shaking there heads .

I know you have in the past said I,m negative about the Phils but that is not true at all In fact I love it for the most part BUT as a tourist not as a expat

I have found that the day to day life of living in one place and dealing with the guy next door etc drives me nuts 

I have heard all the arguments that i,m not assimilating into the culture And I agree but I,m not going to start a ton of bad habits just so I can be a local

We all experiencethings in a different manner but the reality of the Philippines is far far from a tourist guide or a online forum 

The truth is here waiting for you to come and get some   

In the end I always say what do you expect its a 3rd world country  you have to lower your standard on everything 

As for me, I don't know if I will ever live here full time. On account of the work I do in the Philippines, I must admit I see the ugly side of Cebu and surrounds from time to time. So I know if I ever plant roots here, at least it will be with eyes open. Until then I will continue my visits every 8 weeks or so. I heard someone say once "You belong to the community that you serve". I must admit I really feel that bond when it comes to Cebu. :)

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Well I have decided I will never live in the Philippines again,  I do not want to live in a country were I dare not express my opinion or argue with someone and make them lose face and hope they do not come back with a gun and shoot me, Or dare not complain about the noise at 3 in the morning from my neighbor  incase he hires a hitman for 10 quid to kill me, If I have an accident I want medical attention right away, Not wait until I recover consciousness for them  to see if I have any money, I want to have the feeling that I am not going to be  ripped off every time I go out the house,  I want to be able to get things done without all the bullsh&t that goes with it, I want to be able to walk on the pavement with out the fear of falling down a 6 foot hole, Or ride my bike with out wondering if their will even be a road round the next bend.

I could go on and on but I wont as it may offend some people who think the Philippines is Paradise,,,,But in truth, It isnt, unless you love the smell of piss.

The Philippines will never be a major tourist destination,,,Thats not my opinion,,,Thats a fact.....Thats my rant over....

Your comment about the 6 foot hole reminds me of a fall I had late last year. In the end it was my fault, because I know road works are never marked or lit like they would be in Australia. Anyway, back to the story. We were responding to an unconscious child across from the SM Mall back in November last year. I jumped out of the ambulance and was running over to the lad, when I got knocked on my asre so hard.....lol....there was a piece of rope tied between a electric light pole and the fence line....I went running in the darkness...and did not see it. I guess I am lucky it caught me at belt level instead of higher. Man of man was I sore the next morning. Glad I brought some Voltarin with me :). I know I am an idiot :)

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

It's all a bunch of ifs.  While I do see how frustrating and inefficient matters can be in the Philippines, how often do I need to be exposed to it?  Probably not that much, unless I dwell on the unpleasantness and let it linger.  

I also frequently hear the Philippines pegged as third world or sometimes fourth world, yet when I am surrounded by friends and family in Manila, the conversations are conducted more intelligently than here in the first world.  When I dine at a great restaurant there, I ask myself why food doesn't taste as good back home?

While I don't doubt what other forum members say, I want to express that there is a whole other side.

Bottomline is, for all the comforts and conveniences of living in a first world country, it is not my paradise.  Will I find my paradise in the Philippines?  I think I already have, but have to wait almost five years before I enjoy it.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
We were responding to an unconscious child across from the SM Mall back in November last year. I jumped out of the ambulance and was running over to the lad, when I got knocked on my asre so hard.....lol....there was a piece of rope tied between a electric light pole and the fence line....I went running in the darkness...and did not see it.

About a year ago a much-loved and respected police commander, on duty on a motorcycle, was killed in that same area across from SM when he ran into some construction equipment after dark. Someone had moved the barricades blocking the obstruction. The govt announced an investigation.