Passport

Curley
Posted
Posted

My asawa is still working on her passport and it will be our 3 year anniversary in April. We read all the requirements and went for it only to be turned away. They only told my asawa you need another ID. So she did as told and got another ID and went back again told not good enough still need other ID. Well she went back 4 times only to be told the same thing. So currently she has NBI, police clearance, birth certificate, school ID, BIR ID. On her last attempt she was told have to have voters ID. Well she applied and we have been waiting 2 years and still no ID. Recently she went to get her SSS ID but nothing as of yet.

Now my asawa is not one to ask questions or make problems she is very shy. I know my asawa is not educated and she is very trustworthy with those in power where as I am not. I have stopped pushing her to continue to get it and just figure I'll just nudge her every once in a while.

When I finally get to visit there again ( long story, tore my shoulder up in a fall at work and been through operations and rehab for 2 yrs. workers compensation won't let me leave on a vacation and continue care for my shoulder. ) sorry for being off track. Any how when I get there I'll work my asawa's paperwork for her passport.

I hope not everyone has this experience as it's been very difficult on our relationship, but I love her with all my heart and it will all work out.

Thanks for listening and of anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

HEWY09

Sent from my iPhone. buhay ay mahusay na! magsaya.

Yes, it's probably a similar case, she is quiet and reserved but she is intelligent, a relation works for customs, I have suggested that she take him along with her and let him "persuade" the official of the "error". She is not married so no foreign name but of course any young woman wanting to travel is probably considered to be a target.

Hewy09
Posted
Posted

I didn't come right out and say it before I only hinted. By saying my asawa was from a small island in Samar. But here it is. My asawa's family is very poor! ( shanty town poor) and my asawa did not get a chance to get an education the highest she has is grade 4 when she had to stop as the family needed her to look after her older brothers/ sisters children.

I know her shy ness is due to not wanting to look dumb in others eyes. Slowly this is improving and I encourage her without pushing her out of her comfort range.

What pisses me off though is that the family members she gave up education to help (who have education) won't take time to assist my asawa to get her passport and requirements. Needles to say though none of them have passports either. Even though I have helped to get them all out of shanties and into low cost homes and jobs, no one is willing to help my asawa. I know it's because she has Kano husband who can do it all. Now normally to me this would be a non issue but with my injury and not being allowed to travel out of Canada untill the worksafe claim is over it would be nice to have family help.

One thing I have learned is to relax and except that things are different there. I love the Philippines and will one day retire there. But untill then ( 5-7 yrs) I would like my asawa to experience Canada.

Sent from my iPhone. buhay ay mahusay na! magsaya.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I know her shy ness is due to not wanting to look dumb in others eyes.
What pisses me off though is that the family members she gave up education to help (who have education) won't take time to assist my asawa to get her passport and requirements. Needles to say though none of them have passports either
The reason they don't assist her can be they don't know how to do and they are affraid of lose face themselves  :)    It's common Asians are very affraid of that, so IF that's the reason, don't be to pissed on them...

• 2 weeks later...
Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Update, well at least Manila office is insisting on a drivers licence, first you get a students licence and then sit an exam to get your full driving licence, this can take up to 6 months, however a family member has a contact and my friend should get hers in a month. A cousin of hers is a nurse and is going to Austria to work and has had to also get a driving licence before getting her passport.

When she asked about her 5 year old nephew getting a passport she was told a driving licence is not needed for under 18 year olds. Somebody is sticking to their guns lol

PS She has been offered a "black" driving licence but is afraid she may get caught.

Edited by Curley

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I got Myrlita a passport back in 2011 and they did not demand a driver's license. This was in Bacolod. But then again, I was with her to make sure they didn't try to pull any crap.

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted

Nesa got her Passport last year and had to show her Voters id and postal id and that is all.

• Like 1

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Could be another one of those "hit or miss", "depends on what branch/local office you go to" things...  My wife is a dual citizen, and decided to get her Philippine passport last fall.  Filled out all the required forms and took as much documentation as she had, including her dual citizen certificate w/ all back-up documentation that was required for that, as well as 3 old Philippine passports she once held.  Goes to DFA in Bacolod and stands in line, only to be denied because she didn't have a birth certificate (born at home, Cert. of Baptism only).  No problem, goes to NSO, stands in line, more paperwork, sent to city hall to "register", then back to NSO, and finally, birth certificate ready in about a week, and yes, a few more $, but now we're cooking with gas! 

Not so fast -  back to DFA again, stands in line, is directed to change lines a few times, and now denied because she "did not register her divorce back in 1985", which BTW, was her first marriage in the States, even though she had both her first marriage license and divorce decree!  To add insult to injury, she had her wallet snatched out of her purse (which she had left unzipped, doh!) while standing in line, and lost P1,770, US driver's license, SS card, debit and credit cards, old photos, etc., never to be found or seen on surveillance video.  She basically gives up, but travels to Manila to visit family later the same week, and on a whim, drops by the DFA office near MegaMall with above-mentioned paperwork in-hand, and walks out 80 min. later with a brand new passport, no questions, no problems - go figure!  I don't know, "your results may vary"...  It's more fun in the Philippines!       

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
When she asked about her 5 year old nephew getting a passport she was told a driving licence is not needed for under 18 year olds. Somebody is sticking to their guns lol

Just tell them she is legally blind . .  oops forgot . .  that does not disqualify you from a driver's license in this country

Edit:  Here is a list of the requirements that I found online and I see driver's license is an accepted ID but I don't see a requirement for it.  Its a long list so I will just post the link

http://www.passport.com.ph/requirements

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Requiring a Driver's License is just a stupid person who doesn't know their job.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Nesa got her Passport last year and had to show her Voters id and postal id and that is all.

She says they are saying that it's a new law that came in in Jan this year. yeah yeah

Could be another one of those "hit or miss", "depends on what branch/local office you go to" things...  My wife is a dual citizen, and decided to get her Philippine passport last fall.  Filled out all the required forms and took as much documentation as she had, including her dual citizen certificate w/ all back-up documentation that was required for that, as well as 3 old Philippine passports she once held.  Goes to DFA in Bacolod and stands in line, only to be denied because she didn't have a birth certificate (born at home, Cert. of Baptism only).  No problem, goes to NSO, stands in line, more paperwork, sent to city hall to "register", then back to NSO, and finally, birth certificate ready in about a week, and yes, a few more $, but now we're cooking with gas! 

Not so fast -  back to DFA again, stands in line, is directed to change lines a few times, and now denied because she "did not register her divorce back in 1985", which BTW, was her first marriage in the States, even though she had both her first marriage license and divorce decree!  To add insult to injury, she had her wallet snatched out of her purse (which she had left unzipped, doh!) while standing in line, and lost P1,770, US driver's license, SS card, debit and credit cards, old photos, etc., never to be found or seen on surveillance video.  She basically gives up, but travels to Manila to visit family later the same week, and on a whim, drops by the DFA office near MegaMall with above-mentioned paperwork in-hand, and walks out 80 min. later with a brand new passport, no questions, no problems - go figure!  I don't know, "your results may vary"...  It's more fun in the Philippines!       

That's the office she is using!

• Like 1