So Who Wants To Leave And Why, Or Who's Staying For Life?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Just genuinely curious here guys

Just curious or having second thoughts??

Don't worry. Jump in with both feet but don't burn any bridges.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just genuinely curious here guys

Just curious or having second thoughts??

Don't worry. Jump in with both feet but don't burn any bridges.

Nope, no second thoughts, just trying to pin down the negativity sometimes seen on here and wondering why some are in PI at all.  Also want to see some full-time expats view on why they stay.  Already Jumped mate, but yep, there's a safety net. 

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I decided right then and there I wasn't coming back. (/To Florida/) But I probably will because we have a baby and the educational standards, lack of opportunities and many other things have me leaning in that direction.
Well.

Concerning education:

Yes, AVERAGE education quality is much lower in Phils, but there are good educations there too. But they cost, so I plan to solve that by compleeting the public school with some homeschooling.

I don't know if USA has such too, but Sweden has DISTANCE elementary and high school educations following the Swedish school plan ment for kids to Swedes who work abroad some years, so the kids suit to switch between distance and normal school different years. If having good enough Internet, then such distance education can be needed. (BUT for my case it don't function with the Swedish alternative, because I don't plan to learn them Swedish enough to studying in Swedish.)

Concerning higher education:

Some depending of subject, A FEW are so complicated so tutor is needed regularly  =After reading is learned, most subjects can be learned by SELF studying reading. E g the best computer related developers have learned themselves, some even WITHOUT BOOKS, when being in the frontline so there are no books  :)    (E g the best software developers, who I have worked with, had learned the hardest parts by themselves.) 

I started at Swedish College, but I SKIPED it after the first semester, because in one subject they didn't teach the BEST method (which I knew allready by self studying) and in the other subjects I found them teaching to slow   :)    So I quit and have studied by myself instead, sometimes doing tests to get grades, when I have bothered to get documents. By references/showing I have got some rather high jobs anyway.)

=IF the child/grownup is interested, they can learn ANYWAY if just giving them access to useful information.

Opportunities: 

In Phils it's more COMPLICATED, and less opportunities as EMPLOYED,

BUT I say for investments and business there are MORE OPPORTUNITIES in Phils   :)    Yes, I know many have failed, but I guess most of them hadn't business experience or not even related handling knowledge for the business type they started...  There are several examples of foreigners SUCCEEDING in Phils. (E g within Call Centers or some production. There is a reason e g Adidas and Toshiba have production in Phils.)  The potential is high because of the very low costs for staff...

During the last 10 years the Philippine economy has developed much BETTER than the American and European. Because of the salary differences  - IF the Filipin politicians and officials don't screw it up to much  :)   - I claim the "western" economies are "dead" comparingly concerning improvement in the long run. That's one of the reasons I move from Europe to SouthEast Asia    :) 

= Although it's complicated and messy, I believe there are MORE future opportunities in Phils than in USA/Europe.

brock
Posted
Posted
= Although it's complicated and messy, I believe there are MORE future opportunities in Phils than in USA/Europe.

Yes Thomas, But also more opportunity to lose everything too.   ,Buyer beware,,