So Who Wants To Leave And Why, Or Who's Staying For Life?

robert k
Posted
Posted

If you have kids going to school in the US, you will be picking up the slack at home. It's amazing what they don't tech these days. I hear they are dropping the requirement to teach algebra 2 here in Texas. I'd be home schooling here as well as there because the little ones have to learn. :1 (103):

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I wasn't coming back. But I probably will because we have a baby and the educational standards, lack of opportunities and many other things have me leaning in that direction. For them, not me. I have no misconceptions about going back, there's nothing there for me.

Probably a bit off topic but I'm not sure about your reasons, there are a lot of born and raised, educated successful people in the Philippines. I think opportunities are connected to will, the will to find and to conquer an opportunity. The will to learn in the first place.

I also think it has to do with how a child is brought up, living standards and perhaps financial situation of the parents. In first world countries we might have a better education system but still not everyone will become a genius, not everyone will be successful.Those children with a poorer standard of living, welfare drug addicted family's most likely wont prosper in a first world country and those in the Philippines that struggle to put food on the table perhaps wont get an opportunity for good education and the parents wont see it as a priority in life either.

Who knows, if you take the child to the states there is no guarantee that child will have any interest in learning or finding those opportunity's in the future. Hard decision I'm sure.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  WELL SAID  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Not to drag this off topic but, as I said in my post, educational standards are just one of many concerns. 

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not to drag this off topic but, as I said in my post, educational standards are just one of many concerns. 

This from the off-topic police ;-)  I don't believe it's off topic, it is a valid concern.  I look at education in PI this way when discussing it with SAO in relation to my 16yo soon-to-be step-daughter:  If after completing a Bachelors Degree at university in PI, you have to undergo any further training to get you up to par in a western country other than local licensing/administrative exams/training revenue gouging, it's probably not a course you want to do.

This is a little off topic:  Interestingly enough and to put it into perspective, some professions in the US have to undergo further training to be able to work here in Australia over and above said revenue gouging, the same applies for some Australians working in the US.  I know this somewhat invalidates my above comment but in PI, there are many degrees that don't cut it in the West, unless they're from specific institutions.  But even having said that, there are many more that are valid or give the holder very advanced standing. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

We have been here three years and I would leave for the US today if I could. The things that make me want to leave are the tastelessness of the fruits and veggies, the way they treat their children and animals, and the lack of medical care here. My three year old daughter cut herself very badly awhile back. It took 20 minutes for the emergency room doctor to show up, and when he did he looked like something out of a civil war battlefield, with blood all over his clothes. The examining room was dirty, and everybody and his brother, including the guard from the front door was there to make sure the doctor didn't make any mistakes. That was the clincher for me.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Just for S&G's Lord, I can understand those very good reasons for your child. So why stay?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

When comparing knowledge level after exams in High School or higher education, remember Filipin High School ends 2 years earlier. So examed Filipins have additional 2 years to add knowledge before it's a fair comparing.

= Although it's complicated and messy, I believe there are MORE future opportunities in Phils than in USA/Europe.

Yes Thomas, But also more opportunity to lose everything too.   ,Buyer beware,,

Yes a biger percentage scamers (at least compared to Sweden, not sure compared to USA  :)

But I ment starting a business from SCHRATCH. A problem though - IF minimizing the risk by investing LESS money in the business, then it's a BIGER risk failing, because then can much more Pinoys afford to copy   :)       (But copying is no big problem if selling for export anyway as long as there are enough of cheap raw materiail close.)

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I go back and forth between the PI and Canada. The longest i stayed in cebu was 13 months. My average is about 3 or 4 months in the PI and then i have to leave cuz I just can't take it anymore. I could never live there full time.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I go back and forth between the PI and Canada. The longest i stayed in cebu was 13 months. My average is about 3 or 4 months in the PI and then i have to leave cuz I just can't take it anymore. I could never live there full time.

Because of unnecesary mess or what?