Beggars At The Front Door

Carlos
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone, i have only been here for only  three weeks. i am presently staying in Cordova Cebu. i will be moving to Panglao Bohol next week.

I have lived in many third world countries mainly in Latin America and I have been approached by beggars there in the street. As here it is quite normal to be somewhere like the market place and be appraoched by beggars. That is normal to be expeceted of coarse, but today something different happened. Someone came and knocked on my front door where I am renting a house and was begging for money.

I did give in to them for two reasons . ... First they knew where I was living and said that they would not ask again if I could help them this time... and the second reason is what i hope some of you can give me feedback on. I thought that if I gave them absolutely nothing they might come back when I am  not at home and rip me off.

Could you guys give me some feed back on this and also is it handled the same way even in places not so populated like Panglao?

If anyone reading this is living in Panglao it would be nice to make some new friends there.

Cheers,

Carlos

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Someone came and knocked on my front door where I am renting a house and was begging for money.

I have not had that as every house I have rented has some kind of fence or wall around it.  But every house has had beggars come to the front gate and yell AY OOO and when someone goes to the gate they ask for handouts.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Someone came and knocked on my front door where I am renting a house and was begging for money.

It happens here mostly around Christmas and then about once a month after that. When I first moved here, a few came to borrow money. I do not lend money so that has stopped. We do give 5 or 10 pesos to beggars once only.

• Like 1

Miguk
Posted
Posted

Wow that is not good -- bad enough when you are driving or out at the store, etc.

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

What JP said.  It amazes me how well most of the beggars speak English - and I tell them that, they usually get the point, and don't target me again, ha.  My biggest irritation is to be panhandled in line or leaving an ATM, especially when there are security guards around, they need to do a better job...

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Could you guys give me some feed back on this and also is it handled the same way even in places not so populated like Panglao?
I don't have any much "statistics", but from what I know it seem to be like this:

The smaller place, the more the few there will know you. Then it switch to NOT begging as the beggars,

but instead they come more seldom, but asking for MORE money when something bad have happemed (e g hospital fees for some relative).  A friend of mine lived in a simpler house in a village, but he had made some investments in sarisari and mango, so the village people knew he had some money - if they hadn't "knew" it anyway just because he is foreigner   :)         He did like this:

Listened serious, said sorry he don't have money to help that much (which was true) but gave them something, so they at least could afford the bus fee so they could go to ask elsewhere...

i will be moving to Panglao Bohol next week.
Have you bought the house, which was sold cheap, because owner couldn't stand the neighbour had opened a karaoke bar  :)  where they have drunk "singing" outside until close to the morning?
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Beggars are not just the "curse of the Kano". We have beggars coming to the front gate a lot, especially if the Asawa and I are sitting out front in the evening. If I am there alone I pretend not to understand them, or if they do speak English, just hit them with the ole "walang pera". And yes the beggars usually have a story about emergency or kids needing medicine.

Naturally while walking on the street some people (not many)will see me and you can almost see it in there eyes, "white guy" and out comes the hand. I just stroll buy or if I am in a jovial mood I will put on a big smile and reach out and shake their hand and give a big "how ya doing?". Then continue on my merry way.

What does chaff my butt sometimes is the kids who are playing, will see me, stop what they are doing, stick out the hand, put on a sad face and say "give me money" in a demanding tone. Now if someone had taught them to use "please" they might have gotten something.

In fact while writing this, a group of young men came to the door. They are a local basket ball team soliciting, they were presentable, polite and had and envelop with an explanation of their purpose. I gave them P300

• Like 3

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

God Bless you, JP, very well said!

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

We have beggars coming to the front gate a lot

Can't understand why.

I gave them P300