Beggars At The Front Door

jpbago
Posted
Posted

On the topic of fakes:

icon1.gif The Shaky Lady!
Have any of you guys heard of the infamous Shaky Lady? She is an old woman who begged for money on the streets of downtown Toronto until recently. She would just sit in her wheelchair and shake, holding a cardboard sign that said "Please help me. I'm sick and poor. I will pray for you." 

She was recently spotted by a reporter for the Toronto SUN, who spent a few hours watching her. She made $500CDN in about 5 hours. She then got up, stashed her wheelchair in an alleyway, sat into a brand new car and told her chauffeur to drive her home. The reporter followed her to her apartment, which was complete with a big-screen TV and leather couches. After the story made the front page of the paper, the Shaky Lady disappeared. Only to reappear with a prestigious Bay St. lawyer who is now trying to clean up her image. 

Think of that next time you give money to a homeless person, you gullible softies.

And before you ask, no, there aren't any pics. But how about a video

And finally, her so-called "thyroid condition" is completely fake. A doctor who watched the video already told that to the papers.

----------------------------------
And another bunch:

• Like 1

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Begers are everywhere. From the Roma that infest the metros in Europe to the windshield cleaners in the states and New Zealand or Australia.

I never give, except....

I have given pocket change to some of the horribly disfigured beggers in India.

I much prefer to give to folks like the land mine victims bands that play near the Cambodian temples. They at least have pride enough to learn a skill and make the effort.

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

We do give 5 or 10 pesos to beggars once only.

Here is the reason that I give 5 or 10 pesos once only.

Before my regular work, I used to be a barber so during Easter Holy Week, for my Mission Service, I would go to the local barber shop during my lunch hour to give free haircuts. One day an American came in so when he offered to pay, I said no that this was my Mission Service. Next day, the American came in with a dozen donuts to show his appreciation. I then was giving a haircut to a British man who also was surprised and pleased when I told him that the haircut was free as it was my Mission Service. Next day, he brought in a dozen roses to show his appreciation. I then was giving a haircut to a Filipino. When he left, he too was pleased that it was free. Next day, the Filipino came in with a dozen Filipinos to get free haircuts!!!

When you give them something free, they want more and expect it all the time.

This is one reason I don't like most Filipinos. Most of them expect you to give them something for nothing. As some foreigners have said, if a Filipino, even a family member wants something from you then make him or her work for it. There's always work that needs to be done around your house or apartment.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

One of my requirements for a place to live in the Philippines has always been a security fence with a locked gate. I was able to find that requirement at all 3 places I have lived. I don't want anyone knocking on my door without my permission and especially not beggars. Beggars may be begging outside my gate but I can't hear them. Many of you may not know that its illegal to give money to a beggar in Cebu. Its not worth getting arrested over. The reason its illegal is the government has a program to help the homeless.

I have been to Panglao three times but don't remember ever seeing a beggar there. Its a very popular tourist area so maybe the beggars are kept out of there by the Tourist Police who are present there and by other security guards. Don't leave anything sitting out side though or you will be like my sister in laws American husband who didn't listen to me and my wife. One day he decided to air out his new hiking shoes he bought in America, his new tennis shoes for jogging also from America and he set his flip flops out there too. The next morning he woke up to discover that the thief had left him bare foot. And, of course he never found out who stole them.

I don't think beggars will be bothering you on Panglao but of course Christmas carolers are everywhere in the Philippines. They start long before Christmas and continue long after Christmas. A good security wall and locked gate is the only thing that will keep them from singing outside your door.

Edited by Americano

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

A good security wall and locked gate is the only thing that will keep them from singing outside your door.

Do not forget to embed the rusty nails and broken glass on top of the wall.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I remember not so long ago, doing a job early one sunday morning(6am) in the city centre of Perth in Australia, I was there for maybe an hour there was this down and out sleeping in the doorway next door, I thought  he was dead or drunk as he hadn't moved, ask him if he was ok, gave him ten bucks for a big Mac, don't know if he got it. Last week at a local restuarant in Tamiya, little girl maybe 8yo hit me up, said no, but if she wanted I would happily buy her a meal, looked at me like I was an idiot and walked off. Now never give.

Edited by Frosty

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Last week at a local restuarant in Tamiya, little girl maybe 8yo hit me up, said no, but if she wanted I would happily buy her a meal, looked at me like I was an idiot and walked off. Now never give.

This is why most charities give out food and clothing only, provide shelter etc.

There's a thought, might make up some pamphlets directing them to the nearest charitable organisation.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I have been to Panglao three times but don't remember ever seeing a beggar there. Its a very popular tourist area so maybe the beggars are kept out of there by the Tourist Police who are present there and by other security guards. Don't leave anything sitting out side though
It was at Panglao a foreigner told he didn't need any garbage fetching, because if he put out a plastic bag with garbage it was stolen soon  :hystery:
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

A good security wall and locked gate is the only thing that will keep them from singing outside your door.

Do not forget to embed the rusty nails and broken glass on top of the wall.

A garden sprinkler might help too.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We were eating in town today and had 3 beggars come up to us in the restaurant!  Market day brings in all the riff raff.  :tiphat: