Beggars At The Front Door

Miguk
Posted
Posted

I have noticed more beggars here in the States as well. During the day the pros work on or off ramps with a dog always a vet and God bless. Later at night it gets mean. Young men (thugs) hang out at nearly every 7-11 aggressively asking money, some very demanding.

Yup sometimes it is rather scary....afraid they won't take no for an answer either!

• Like 1

Miguk
Posted
Posted

In Baguio I have only had kids beg aggressively a couple of times and their mother was close by. There are many beggars in Baguio but they seem to have the same spot every day. Most are either very old or have very obvious physical problems and are passive. I give a few peso's out once in a while.

Not meaning to change subjects but have you lived in other areas besides Baguio? Just wondering if I should be considering it along with Subic, Tagaytay and Manila as possible retirement spots.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In Baguio I have only had kids beg aggressively a couple of times and their mother was close by. There are many beggars in Baguio but they seem to have the same spot every day. Most are either very old or have very obvious physical problems and are passive. I give a few peso's out once in a while.

Not meaning to change subjects but have you lived in other areas besides Baguio? Just wondering if I should be considering it along with Subic, Tagaytay and Manila as possible retirement spots.

I lived in San Fernando, La Union just down the mountain from Baguio for 5 months. Population around 100K. I didn't see any street kids and very few beggars there. But it was too hot for me down in the lowlands. I like the climate in the highlands much better.

There are many expats who live here in Baguio, also over 10k Korean students who attend Universities in Baguio.

Miguk
Posted
Posted
I lived in San Fernando, La Union just down the mountain from Baguio for 5 months. Population around 100K. I didn't see any street kids and very few beggars there. But it was too hot for me down in the lowlands. I like the climate in the highlands much better. There are many expats who live here in Baguio, also over 10k Korean students who attend Universities in Baguio.

Thank you for the information.  I like the highlands also but the last time I was there (2011) it was just incredibly overcrowded.  I can remember in the 1980s it was so charming and pretty with the smell of pine trees wafting all over.  Now the only thing you smell is fumes from the overabundance of jeepneys and trikes --- and good luck finding pine covered mountains in Baguio anymore :unsure:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I lived in San Fernando, La Union just down the mountain from Baguio for 5 months. Population around 100K. I didn't see any street kids and very few beggars there. But it was too hot for me down in the lowlands. I like the climate in the highlands much better. There are many expats who live here in Baguio, also over 10k Korean students who attend Universities in Baguio.

Thank you for the information.  I like the highlands also but the last time I was there (2011) it was just incredibly overcrowded.  I can remember in the 1980s it was so charming and pretty with the smell of pine trees wafting all over.  Now the only thing you smell is fumes from the overabundance of jeepneys and trikes --- and good luck finding pine covered mountains in Baguio anymore :unsure:

Yeah, Baguio is up over 300k population now. There still are large areas in and around Baguio that are pine covered. This weekend was the Panagbenga flower festival. According to a taxi driver it draws over 70k visitors to Baguio. The parade this morning was like a mini Rose Bowl parade with all the floats made from flowers and plant material.

You might also check out Sagada about a 5 hour drive north of Baguio. I think it has a population of 10-20K. I have heard people say Sagada is like what Baguio was 30-40 years ago.

There are a few expats living in Sagada and it does draw a growing number of tourists.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Now this subject hits me very close to home. When the wife and I arrived home from a business conference in Las Vegas, a guy walked up to us in our driveway. He was asking for gas money to get to the hospital. Claimed he had to pick up his wife who had money. He needed $20 for gas. WTF? Hospital he was going to is less than 2 miles away! Still was dumb and gave him 3 dollars just to get him to go away.

This was in front of my house in a subdivision. Seems everywhere I go now there are beggars. They stand in the streets with signs held up. "Please Help, God Bless". Week after week you see these same people. They do move a few blocks over from time to time. This occurs at most major intersections. We were seeing this in Las Vegas as well.

We cannot help everyone who is looking for a handout. Anyone care to comment on where our social values are going?

I have not yet noticed the "professional "beggars w/the signs yet in the philippines,

maybe that will be the next step.

about social values? it seems that all-over that the ones  we had are no longer being upheld not just in the usa,or aus.buteverywhere.

What JP said.  It amazes me how well most of the beggars speak English - and I tell them that, they usually get the point, and don't target me again, ha.  My biggest irritation is to be panhandled in line or leaving an ATM, especially when there are security guards around, they need to do a better job...

when these little beggars come and start speaking in english. I say"NO SPEAK NO ENGLISH"

if they say "JOE" give me money."ME NOT JOE" ME GOT NO MONEY" in broken english, works most of the time. if that doesnt.

I use PLAN B, bring out the "PEPPER/MACE SPRAY"

that does work wonders   :thumbsup: 

Miguk
Posted
Posted

Yeah, Baguio is up over 300k population now. There still are large areas in and around Baguio that are pine covered. This weekend was the Panagbenga flower festival. According to a taxi driver it draws over 70k visitors to Baguio. The parade this morning was like a mini Rose Bowl parade with all the floats made from flowers and plant material.

You might also check out Sagada about a 5 hour drive north of Baguio. I think it has a population of 10-20K. I have heard people say Sagada is like what Baguio was 30-40 years ago.

There are a few expats living in Sagada and it does draw a growing number of tourists.

Is there anything to do in Sagada besides go to the hanging tombs and watch western backpackers haggle more than a pinay housewife? :lol: I do like Baguio because I get tired of the tropical sameness of the lowlands but the wife insists it is too far, too dangerous with landslides, etc., water issues etc. etc.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Is there anything to do in Sagada besides go to the hanging tombs and watch western backpackers haggle more than a pinay housewife? I do like Baguio because I get tired of the tropical sameness of the lowlands but the wife insists it is too far, too dangerous with landslides, etc., water issues etc. etc.

I only spent one full day and two nights in Sagada as a tourist. Can't really comment on what it would be like to live there full time.

Easy enough to find a place to live in Baguio where there are no water or landslide issues. You just have to be aware of those things when you look for a place to live.

I do recommend that you avoid traveling on the mountain roads during or immediately after heavy rains. They are just too prone to landslides during heavy rains. Some can become almost impassable during the rainy season due to all the landslides and the inability of road crews to get out and keep up with them. I mentioned in another post that on one cement road up in Kalinga province I saw a large 3-4 meter diameter boulder from a landslide blocking most of the road.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We have not had them come to our gate except to sing xmas carols.  But I live in the boonies!  

In the city we have some but most are not very aggressive.  The ones that touch me get a firm "Don't fu@#ing touch me!"  It is not Tagalog or Ilongo but they seem to understand.

Don't they know about the anti-mendicancy laws?   ha ha  :tiphat:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Now this subject hits me very close to home. When the wife and I arrived home from a business conference in Las Vegas, a guy walked up to us in our driveway. He was asking for gas money to get to the hospital. Claimed he had to pick up his wife who had money. He needed $20 for gas. WTF? Hospital he was going to is less than 2 miles away! Still was dumb and gave him 3 dollars just to get him to go away.

This was in front of my house in a subdivision. Seems everywhere I go now there are beggars. They stand in the streets with signs held up. "Please Help, God Bless". Week after week you see these same people. They do move a few blocks over from time to time. This occurs at most major intersections. We were seeing this in Las Vegas as well.

We cannot help everyone who is looking for a handout. Anyone care to comment on where our social values are going?

I remember clearly the first timed I was scammed by a "beggar".  It was probably in the late 70's and I was still young and innocent.   :)  I was at my local Winchell's donut shop in Redondo Beach, CA, and a young healthy looking guy with an empty gas can approached me.  He and his girlfriend didn't have any money to buy gas to get back home.  Could I loan them a few dollars?  Times were tough then, so I gave him a small amount of cash.

I exited the shop from the side door and they did not immediately see me.  I clearly heard them discussing how much money they had made that day.  They did not need gas, it was just their scam.

That forever changed my perception of people like this and I never trusted people like them again.  They are all scammers, in my book.  I know that is not really true, but that one incident tainted me.

In the U.S. we have read stories about the pros.  They don't want to do real work.  They beg and collect welfare, food stamps and anything else they can get.  Some of them do quite well.