A Heritage Of Smallness

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I know some retired OFW's.  Most live in gated communities and do little a charity work to make themselves feel better - but no real improvement. 

If they can pay for their kids education and keep them in the PI's that may help.  But as I have selfishly said in other threads I don't really want to see much improvement here.  The prices would go up and I would have to move ha ha   :tiphat:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The OFWs that came later (most, not all), are less educated and skilled than the aforementioned, and are filling far less lucrative jobs.

I know of a few OFWs, maybe 20, who are no longer OFWs. The ones in Macau, Singapore, England, and the Americas continue because their wage and life is better but the ones that work in the Middle East for 10,000 to 20,000p per month, nothing for the first 6 months while paying the placement fee to an agency that advertises "no placement fee", sleeping on the floor, after sending most of their wages back to PI, after seeing that it is all wasted, well they return and do not go back. It is better to stay in PI to work for 168p per day and be home with the family.

Yes, many go home, missing home

but many stay too, because if they stay at least 2 years, they still earn more than they earn at Mindanao - if they get any jobs there... 

(E g a Filipina I know have a computer College exam, but didn't got any work at Mindanao, so she went to Kuwait to work as nanny. Her salary is around 10 000p/month plus room and free food - and she eat much  :)    But she is lucky how she is treated, many OFW are treated very bad.)

Thomas, I don't think we are on the same page here. They don't have to kick the corporations out but if I were trying to sell the idea to a politician....... :thumbsup:

They could always pull a fast one like Mexico with the oil fields and nationalize everything once they are fully going and then kick the corporations out :thumbsup:.

Nationalizing is kicking the owners out, isn't it?   :)

I don't remember the history for sure, but I believe USA supported the military dictators in Chile against the Chile people and the DEMOCRATIC elected goverment because the later had nationalized the copper mines...

Oh Thomas, please! US companies were allowed to help Saddam Hussein build great chemical weapons so his tiny army could kill tens of millions of Iranians, kill so many, that towards the end, the Iranians were sweeping the streets for any male between the age of 15 and 60. The US didn't speak up because Iran had held a couple dozen Americans hostage for over 400 days. The US government holds quite a grudge. :tiphat:

I don't recall US dropping any airborne troops into Chile but I guess there could have been some sharp words.

The Chilenian military dictator junta was the side USA SUPPORTED, so no need to send soldiers, because that side had all soldiers and military weapon anyway, but USA supported at least by having "military advicers" there.

The believing part only refered to the last part, USA supported the junta FOR SURE against the democratic elected government...

I suppouse USA got their copper mines back because of that support...

((What Saddam did with these chemicals weapons against Iraqians, when they did as USA recomended them to do, but then DIDN'T support them as they expected, is an  other scandal, but I don't write any more about that, because it has nothing to do with nationalization.))

robert k
Posted
Posted

Well, Thomas, I don't think Chile has anything to do with it, possibly you are thinking Nicaragua?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
They probably think the same of us.

That's right. They do. Where I live, all foreigners are called Americans and all are considered to be rich.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I know some retired OFW's.  Most live in gated communities and do little a charity work to make themselves feel better - but no real improvement. 

If they can pay for their kids education and keep them in the PI's that may help.  But as I have selfishly said in other threads I don't really want to see much improvement here.  The prices would go up and I would have to move ha ha   :tiphat:

Much OFW money go home to Phils to invest in businesses, but normaly it's typical Filipin mini businesses as a sarisari, tricycle or breed a few pigs, so seldom any big difference...

I know of one rather big scale Filipin project though. No money back during the first years, but claim it will give good money in the long run, so it's common OFW buy small shares there as "retirement investments" to live of when they return to Phils.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

All Filipinos do not think small. Three fisherman brothers from down the street are using the vacant lot next door for their roosters. They built a 3 foot by 8 foot bamboo cage to keep the roosters off the ground because there is a large komodo dragon living there also. They don't have the key for the gate and the side door is only 2 feet wide and now the 3 foot cage will not fit through the doorway. For 2 days now, the cage has sat outside the doorway. Doh!!!

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well, Thomas, I don't think Chile has anything to do with it, possibly you are thinking Nicaragua?

That ALSO   :)

Chile was before Nicaragua.

Some of my friends  - opponents to junta - managed to get out of Chile, after the junta took over, but it was many years ago, so I don't remember any much of the details, but I remember for sure USA supported wrong side  = AGAINST the democratic elected side. And I remember USA got angry when the democratic elected government nationalized the American own mines. I got the information BOTH from Swedish TV news and my friends.

Miguk
Posted
Posted
That's great but I doubt that the retired population is going to be the spark behind the cultural change this country need.

I don't know.  If my wife is any indication of the tens of thousands of Filipinos who will be reaching retirement age and going back home, there is some hope.  She is a living example of making something of yourself and also not settling for mediocrity or nonsense.

alsuave
Posted
Posted

That's great but I doubt that the retired population is going to be the spark behind the cultural change this country need.

I don't know.  If my wife is any indication of the tens of thousands of Filipinos who will be reaching retirement age and going back home, there is some hope.  She is a living example of making something of yourself and also not settling for mediocrity or nonsense.

That's great. The Philippines needs more people like that.

Still though, I don't see the retired community raising the country up from mediocrity. That has to come from Filipinos who are still in the workforce. 

• Like 1

alsuave
Posted
Posted

That ALSO   :)

Chile was before Nicaragua.

Some of my friends  - opponents to junta - managed to get out of Chile, after the junta took over, but it was many years ago, so I don't remember any much of the details, but I remember for sure USA supported wrong side  = AGAINST the democratic elected side. And I remember USA got angry when the democratic elected government nationalized the American own mines. I got the information BOTH from Swedish TV news and my friends.

Many bad things happened during the Pinochet years. A lot of good came out of it too. Pinochet initiated the economic reforms that are the reason Chile is a developed country today. If not for that, Chile would probably be just as fu**ed up as it's neighbors.