A Heritage Of Smallness

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Just one thing about trikes and jeepneys they work and something I learnt in the army if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Jeepneys are part of the problem an efficient safe public bus system is badly needed.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If they remove jeepneys what goes in their place?  Buses most likely?  Well new buses are expensive!  The cost will be a bit more the p7.5 we pay now.  People making p250 a day can't afford much for transport. 

Public transportation, road repair, etc must be publicly subsidized, ie. everyone pays a share in the form of taxes, whether they use it or not. Even if you don't drive or take transportation you are benefiting from those who do.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

For the past 3 weeks in Negros Occidental, an extra group of LTOs from Isabella has been brought in to Bacolod to do bus inspections. The main bus here is Ceres. For the past 3 weeks, Ceres has taken 90% of their buses off the road until 8:30 PM after when the LTO goes home. The buses are all sitting at the terminal. They have a few that passed inspection doing the long runs down to Dumagette. Soon, the LTO will stop the inspections and then Ceres will put all of their faulty buses back on the road. They should not be issued plates until they pass inspection. As someone here said "You can't fix stupid." The jeepneys and double tires are taking the extra load, on the roof and hanging onto the sides.

On the thinking small topic, they use 500 tricycles to bring the kids to school instead of 10 buses.

The entire transportation system needs an overhaul. Buses should be on a schedule. The way it is now, even though it is not supposed to be, the buses race and then stop where ever to get the most passengers. Sometimes there will be 3 buses in a row and then none for 40 minutes. Scheduled city and highway buses work in the rest of the world, it can be done here too.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Buses should be on a schedule. The way it is now, even though it is not supposed to be, the buses race and then stop where ever to get the most passengers. Sometimes there will be 3 buses in a row and then none for 40 minutes. Scheduled city and highway buses work in the rest of the world, it can be done here too.

Yeah catching a bus in the Province is fun!  We had to catch a particular ro-ro bus with reserved seats.  What time?  when it gets there!   :tiphat:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The entire transportation system needs an overhaul. Buses should be on a schedule. The way it is now, even though it is not supposed to be, the buses race and then stop where ever to get the most passengers. Sometimes there will be 3 buses in a row and then none for 40 minutes. Scheduled city and highway buses work in the rest of the world, it can be done here too.
Well. Few Filipins come at decided them, so it would be odd if buses would arrive at sceduled time  :) 

(Chilenians are similar. When they suggest a meeting time, then I ask "Chilenian or Swedish time?" meaning "Chilenian time" is anytime within 2 hours after the decided time...  :mocking:   E g once the prebought ticket checker arrived LAST to a big party. He had hard checking tickets when people danced and walked around  :hystery:

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted
Buses should be on a schedule. The way it is now, even though it is not supposed to be, the buses race and then stop where ever to get the most passengers. Sometimes there will be 3 buses in a row and then none for 40 minutes. Scheduled city and highway buses work in the rest of the world, it can be done here too.

In the UK scheduled buses are always late or full.  Mostly owned by different private companies so you get 3 turning up in a row.  Expensive.  Here on the Aquinaldo highway Bacoor up to Tagatay even as far as Nasugbu trikes and jeepneys are regulated.  They have to get a licence from the town/city and be a member of he local trike/jeepney owners association.  They also have to do the emission test as normal cars.  And they are cheap, convenient and IMHO as safe as any bus or taxi on the road.  You may gather from my posts that i'm a bit of a fan of the trike/jeepney, you get to meet some amazing people.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

That is an odd quote with my name on it... jpbago said it, not me.   ha ha

I love the jeepneys and think they are fine.  Like I said buses would be too expensive.   And would not be any better maintained.  And government subsidized just means higher taxes...  How about the bus wrecks we've read about lately?  Hell, they can't keep their ferries afloat.  Jeepneys are fine, to me.   :tiphat:

Miguk
Posted
Posted
stack of plastic stools for people to sit on after they ran out of seats.

They are doing that with buses now?  I can't believe how greedy the companies are!  If you sold all the seats that's it...no more people!  They used to do that in the movie theaters.  They just sold tickets.  Had people sitting in the aisles, etc.  Dangerous as hell.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

stack of plastic stools for people to sit on after they ran out of seats.

They are doing that with buses now?  I can't believe how greedy the companies are!  If you sold all the seats that's it...no more people!  They used to do that in the movie theaters.  They just sold tickets.  Had people sitting in the aisles, etc.  Dangerous as hell.

These are the lucky ones, with plastic stools. I have been on some (many) that are full of people standing front to back and down both steps to the doors. Those so called polite Filipinos do not give up their seat to a senior citizen nor pregnant lady either.

alsuave
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yup. I've been in overcrowded buses where people had to stand. I wasn't one of the lucky few to get a seat. Then again, those passengers who were seated would get a face full of someone's ass or crotch every time the bus turned and probably didn't consider themselves to be very lucky at all.

Edited by alsuave