A Heritage Of Smallness

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Just one thing about trikes and jeepneys they work and something I learnt in the army if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Why fix the horse and buggy? Jeepneys and trikes were a stopgap measure that became permanent; basically unregulated, lacking even the most rudimentary safety features - inefficient, dirty, and dangerous. A prime cause of pollution and all the related health problems. It's broke.

The place that sells e-bikes down the road are using the fact that an e-bike is not classed as a motorbike as a selling point. So you do not need a licence, registration or wear a crash helmet to ride one.  Not that many have them with motorbikes. The other thing about e-bikes/trikes they don't like using headlights now but at least you can hear them coming.

alsuave
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just one thing about trikes and jeepneys they work and something I learnt in the army if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

One thing I learned in the Navy is that just because something has always been done a certain way, it does't mean it ain't fu**ed up.

Reasons why jeepneys suck:

1. noisy

2. polluting

3. unsafe

An argument could be made for preserving jeepneys as a uniquely Filipino cultural icon, but I don't think that argument holds much water. They should at least be taken off the streets of metro Manila.

Edited by alsuave

robert k
Posted
Posted

You left out cheap. As long as it is all the people can afford, there will be jeepneys.

I agree with all other points which would also apply to having a horse and buggy. :)

alsuave
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't mind ebikes if they were only used to move people around the neighborhood. But they shouldn't be allowed on the main roads.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't mind ebikes if they were only used to move people around the neighborhood. But they shouldn't be allowed on the main roads.

Why?  IF they are economical in the long run (=need of new batteries) I can want one myself  :)  as second vehicle (behind a simple car).

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You left out cheap. As long as it is all the people can afford, there will be jeepneys.

I agree with all other points which would also apply to having a horse and buggy. :)

Cheap is my concern.  If they remove jeepneys what goes in their place?  Buses most likely?  Well new buses are expensive!  The cost will be a bit more the p7.5 we pay now.  People making p250 a day can't afford much for transport.  To clear up traffic problems they could remove private cars from the downtown area like some US cities tried (don't know the results - but read about it).  1 car = 1 or 2 people.  1 jeepney = 19 people. 

New buses would be able to handle the people load, safer, and more environmentally friendly than jeepneys, I guess.  but how much is the fare?

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Cheap is my concern.  If they remove jeepneys what goes in their place?  Buses most likely?  Well new buses are expensive!  The cost will be a bit more the p7.5 we pay now.  People making p250 a day can't afford much for transport.  To clear up traffic problems they could remove private cars from the downtown area like some US cities tried (don't know the results - but read about it).  1 car = 1 or 2 people.  1 jeepney = 19 people. 

New buses would be able to handle the people load, safer, and more environmentally friendly than jeepneys, I guess.  but how much is the fare?

What makes me crazy is the growing fad of people riding on top buses on the long rides north or south of Cebu. I was coming back from Dannbantayan last week, and passed at least 5 buses with at least 15-20 people riding on top. I hate to imagine what would happen if one of those buses crashed.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Our bus coming back from Boracay (nice bus with aircon, wifi etc)  had a stack of plastic stools for people to sit on after they ran out of seats.  Never seen the expensive bus that full before. If there was an emergency no one but the front row and the driver could get out ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Cheap is my concern. If they remove jeepneys what goes in their place? Buses most likely? Well new buses are expensive! The cost will be a bit more the p7.5 we pay now. People making p250 a day can't afford much for transport. To clear up traffic problems they could remove private cars from the downtown area like some US cities tried (don't know the results - but read about it). 1 car = 1 or 2 people. 1 jeepney = 19 people.

New buses would be able to handle the people load, safer, and more environmentally friendly than jeepneys, I guess. but how much is the fare?

What makes me crazy is the growing fad of people riding on top buses on the long rides north or south of Cebu. I was coming back from Dannbantayan last week, and passed at least 5 buses with at least 15-20 people riding on top. I hate to imagine what would happen if one of those buses crashed.

From what I've seen of the buses after a crash, maybe riding on top might be safer! At least you'd have a chance to jump! Maybe... Possibly... Not very safe but then... Know what I mean?

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You will not believe the concentration of very bright Filipinos who are still in some circles in Manila. They are staying because they are already successful, and have much at stake.

And the typical foreign retiree isn't rubbing shoulders with them. They don't need their money, they don't want their daughters marrying them, they're embarrassed by some of the antics they see. Very closed society, many of them Chinese-Filipino. I think of that every time I read someone saying "they're all this, all that". They probably think the same of us.

This is a fact.

• Like 1