A Heritage Of Smallness

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I asked my wife to read the article.  She is familiar with his work, and finds this one particularly insightful.  She always thought that the reason for the lack of progress in the Philippines can be attributed to divisiveness (plethora of dialects will do that), the very stratified classes, every imaginable natural calamity, and corruption.  Although reading this gave her fresh insight, in the end, it is still only conjecture.

I would like to think that the returning Filipinos will make a difference, but the magnitude will probably not be enough.  After all, a good portion of them will be looking towards a well-earned  retirement.  But, if they work with the current batch of bright minds, who knows what synergy can be produced?

Now, if Filipinos could only get their votes behind suitable politicians, it would be an auspicious beginning.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I believe Manny will be eligible in 2022.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
The essay was published in 1966. Joaquin even refers to Manila as a small city. Many of the points the author makes are still valid today, some even more so.

I thought that the article was recent when I first read it as it relates to current PI. Since nothing has changed in 48 years, don't expect much in the future. In fact, it might be leaning the other way.

• Like 3

Miguk
Posted
Posted
I thought that the article was recent when I first read it as it relates to current PI. Since nothing has changed in 48 years, don't expect much in the future. In fact, it might be leaning the other way.

Yes I too was surprised that it was written in the 1960s.  There really is little hope.  Maybe all the Koreans coming to the Philippines will show the filipinos how it's done:   to raise a devastated country to an industrialized one in one lifetime.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I did not realize it was written in the 60s!  So, yeah some of it is dated but most of it is still true today.  Nothing changes here.  But I am ok with that :tiphat:

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Just one thing about trikes and jeepneys they work and something I learnt in the army if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Just one thing about trikes and jeepneys they work and something I learnt in the army if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

FILIPINO manufacturer and assembler of electric vehicles opened a branch and showroom on A.S. Fortuna St. in Mandaue City last Friday.

The Mandaue branch is the first venture by EMotors, Inc. outside Manila.

Elizabeth Lee, chief executive officer of EMotors, said the company decided to put up an outlet in Cebu, particularly in Mandaue City, because it is a “premier industrial hub.” The opening is also part of its planned nationwide expansion.

She said the company wants to address the three most compelling problems today: a “low-income” workforce, “high cost” of commodities and “high pollution” with their line of “zero-emission.”

Lee was accompanied by company officials and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras, who used to serve as Energy secretary, in the opening of the branch. They unveiled the Zum E-Cruizer, an electric tricycle that can serve as passenger shuttle and roving or security patrol.

The other two are the Zum EZee cargo for delivery and Zum EZee pickup. These vehicles run on electricity and are “pollution-free.”

Environment

“We offer a solution to serve the needs of Filipinos for an affordable, low-cost, low-maintenance, innovative and easy to use vehicle, one that helps increase their income while at the same time, help clean our environment with our Zum Electric Vehicle,” Lee said.

She said pollution-free motor vehicles fit the needs of provinces hit by typhoon Yolanda, noting the effects of climate change to men and their livelihood.

Almendras highlighted the economics and sustainability of EMotors’ products, saying the vehicles are fit to serve as transport in rural and remote areas where diesel is not readily available. Electricity is more accessible in these areas, he said.

Almendras said the Aquino administration is targeting 94 percent of the entire Philippines to have access to electricity before the term of President Benigno Aquino III ends.

“The economics and sustainability of e-trikes is actually very good. It can be a means of transportation that can be used also in rural, remote areas, reaching the people who really cannot afford cars. And, the cost of fuel goes higher as you go to more remote areas due to the high cost of logistics getting the fuel to those places,” said Almendras,

Aside from being environment-friendly, Lee said the cost of electricity or of charging the vehicle is lower than the cost of diesel or gas, which makes it ideal for tricycle drivers who want to increase their income.

“In places where the price of gasoline is even higher, the use of electric tricycles makes even more sense. It results in greater income for the driver, a cleaner

environment for all and is safer for the riding public,“ Almendras said.

Mandaue City Federation of Operators and Tricycle Drivers Organization president Sisinio Seno and the organization’s members, composed of over a thousand tricycle drivers, have expressed interest in purchasing e-trike units but said he and the members will still have to test its efficiency.

“We want to know if we can really save and earn more from this,” Seno said.

The price of an e-trike is at around P200,000.

Peninsula Bank chairman Rodrigo Rivera said PenBank can grant interested e-trike buyers a loan of up to 70 percent of its market price.

Manufacturing

EMotors has a manufacturing facility in Sta. Rosa, Laguna. Lee said the company invested P106 million for the electric vehicle business, which it launched in 2012.

The company said it is the first and only 100 percent Filipino-owned manufacturer and assembler of e-trikes registered with the Department of Trade and Industry and the Board of Investment’s Motor Vehicle Development Program.

Lee said they will consider putting up a manufacturing facility in Cebu if the company sees a high demand from the local market.

EMotors is already in Manila but said the company said they primarily cater to corporate accounts.

One of its major clients is Pepsi Cola Products Phils., Inc., which has integrated the use of electric vehicles in its daily operations

Looks like the trikes will be going electric in the future....LOL....maybe :)

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Looks like the trikes will be going electric in the future....LOL....maybe :)
A year or so ago I did read a test would be made replacing the tricycles in a city. I believe it was in Dumaguete. Anyone knowing the result of  it?

Concerning e-vehicles in general I wonder if it's economical, because of new batteries cost much. Someone being in Phils now told there are many second hand ones for sale just because the first battery are worn out broken.

Do anyone have any electrical motorbike or such and have checked how many km you can drive before battery can't be loaded no more?

An other problem is that the cheaper e-motorbikes has weak motors having problem carrying ONE foreigner  - but they can perhaps carry a whole Filipin family  :)

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Why fix the horse and buggy? Jeepneys and trikes were a stopgap measure that became permanent; basically unregulated, lacking even the most rudimentary safety features - inefficient, dirty, and dangerous. A prime cause of pollution and all the related health problems. It's broke.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well, Thomas, I don't think Chile has anything to do with it, possibly you are thinking Nicaragua?

That ALSO   :)

Chile was before Nicaragua.

Some of my friends  - opponents to junta - managed to get out of Chile, after the junta took over, but it was many years ago, so I don't remember any much of the details, but I remember for sure USA supported wrong side  = AGAINST the democratic elected side. And I remember USA got angry when the democratic elected government nationalized the American own mines. I got the information BOTH from Swedish TV news and my friends.

Lets keep to the Philippines thanks as this forum is about culture (Philippines)