Not Sure Where To Start On A Visa...

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was just starting to post that link.  You beat me to it. 

From talking to others and reading the website looks like I have to have a domicile in the US  - which I do not.

And make above the poverty level - which I do not.

So it seems that the tourist visa is our only option. 

Goldberg dispelled perceptions that Filipinos have difficulty obtaining tourist visas to visit the United States. He admitted that the US Embassy compound in Manila may look intimidating with its high walls and strict security but, in reality, the procedure for visa application is “friendly.”

“The vast majority of people who apply are approved for visas. [We have] a standard and easy process: You make an appointment, you go in, you have an interview. As long as you are a stable resident of the Philippines, you’re going to get your visa and enjoy the United States,” he said.

I will take this with a grain of salt...  And what do they mean by "stable resident"?  Maybe that is the major caveat...  we will give it a shot!

jon1
Posted
Posted

Yes you can help, but it is very easy to do yourself. It would be great if paid agents could get you moved up in the process but that is impossible so i personally would not waste my money. Its like hiring a lawyer you might get a good one but you might also get a dud. If an agent tells you they can get it done in three months you are dealing with a con. If you get an agent that tells you they will help you get the needed documents and file the forms correctly and that you will be then moved thru the process according to when your application is received then you have a trust worthy agent, because that is the way it works.

Speaking on the forms make sure you have everything ready in advance, i persaonally have cerified copies of everything i need at all times. Example i see on the forum that memebers have a hard time getting a certified copy of their marraige certificate. My suggestion is to request extra certified copies at the time of your marraige. i got six certifeid copies extra, gave one to my wifes mother , one to my wife, one to my daughter and kept a copy and the original for myself. it is a lot easier getting them right then then waiting months for them later.

Later Pokermike

It's not getting a certified copy, it's getting an NSO CERTIFIED COPY on their security paper is the issue. A local certified copy (where the marriage took place) is not accepted in obtaining a new passport or changing her name on her existing passport. Very frustrating experience.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was just starting to post that link. You beat me to it.

From talking to others and reading the website looks like I have to have a domicile in the US - which I do not.

Goldberg dispelled perceptions that Filipinos have difficulty obtaining tourist visas to visit the United States. He admitted that the US Embassy compound in Manila may look intimidating with its high walls and strict security but, in reality, the procedure for visa application is “friendly.”

“The vast majority of people who apply are approved for visas. [We have] a standard and easy process: You make an appointment, you go in, you have an interview. As long as you are a stable resident of the Philippines, you’re going to get your visa and enjoy the United States,” he said.

I will take this with a grain of salt... And what do they mean by "stable resident"? Maybe that is the major caveat... we will give it a shot!

Stable... Hmmm... Members of this forum? Well, we are all nuts... So somebody married to us? There goes the Tourist Visa idea!!! :) Just kidding, ladies!!!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

This is in today's news:

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/99781/us-embassy-trumpets-programs-easy-visa-processing-americana-in-mall-tour

He says the visa process is easy and friendly. (the stable part might be the out)

MANILA, Philippines—The United States Embassy in Manila on Saturday launched a multimedia event to celebrate Philippine-US ties and showcase the embassy’s programs and services, including “friendly” tourist visa processing.

300x169xus-embassy-philippines-1122-300x

US Embassy in Manila, Philippines. AP FILE PHOTO

Dubbed “America in 3D: A Road Show in Diplomacy, Development and Defense,” the weekend-long multimedia, entertainment and education activity was launched at SM Mall of Asia, highlighting the favorite activities of Filipinos and Americans such as shopping, food and music.

Ambassador Philip Goldberg described Philippine-US ties as “very strong and very rich,” pointing to the four million Americans of Filipino descent living in the US and the 350,000 US nationals living in the Philippines.

“This [event] shows our deep commitment to each other, which is people-to-people. We have our people here to help explain what the embassy does and help demystify some our services,”

the ambassador told reporters in an interview.

Another presentation also showed the step-by-step process of applying for a tourist visa.

According to the presentation, the embassy processes around 1,000 applications every day and 80 percent of the applications are granted.

At the presentation site, US embassy staff and employees of the US Peace Corps,

US Agency for International Development, Millennium Challenge Corp.

and agencies of the US agriculture and veterans affairs departments manned booths to answer queries from the public on various matters ranging from consular matters to locating missing World War II veterans’ remains,

and from humanitarian aid to education opportunities in the US.

The event also featured performances by Jed Madela, Charice Pempengco, Luke Mejares, Razorback,

the US Navy 7th Fleet Band, gospel singers and hip-hop groups.

There were also free food samplings from American companies, a film screening, football and baseball clinics, and an exhibit of American vintage cars.

Part of the embassy’s “Best of the USA” presentation regaled Filipino audiences with film clips and green screen photo opportunities featuring famous historical and scenic American landmarks such as Mount Rushmore,

the Grand Canyon, the Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty and the New York City skyline.

for those who attended it was a nice experience,
 1 embassy official stated as i asked about "tuka ram" situation.
 that getting a "b1.b2visa" for a gf or wife is "based" on the merits of the person filing.
 it was hinted not suggested that 1 may try to obtain services of a us immigration lawyer if 1 feels that they may not obtain a visa for their gf/wife is they dont meet the criteria $$

jon1
Posted
Posted

It is just stupid, they will always speak the double speak. It is false advertising plain and simple. I will go thru the motions on our filing but i give it a 40% chance at best and will be pleasantly surprised if she gets a tourist visa. They have no logic.

The DOS/USCIS do not take into account US citizens married to foreign spouses who do not wish to repatriate but rather "visit" for life events (funerals, marriages, etc.). 

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It is just stupid, they will always speak the double speak. It is false advertising plain and simple. I will go thru the motions on our filing but i give it a 40% chance at best and will be pleasantly surprised if she gets a tourist visa. They have no logic.

The DOS/USCIS do not take into account US citizens married to foreign spouses who do not wish to repatriate but rather "visit" for life events (funerals, marriages, etc.). 

More than likely, the rules are based on what has happened in the past with thousands of Filipinas not returning. Both Canada and USA have millions of illegals in the country working under the table, paying no taxes yet getting most of the benefits of living there. I am sure that some people did go to the USA for a wedding and are still there. It is very difficult to track them down. The US Embassy in Manila does give 800 visas everyday to those that they make a judgement that they will return. PI has requirements that foreigners have to meet to live here. If no visa was required to go to Canada or USA, we would be flooded with immigrants and not able to sustain them. It is not easy for Filipinas to get a visa to go to most European countries too for the same reasons. If all travelers would be honest and return to their home countries when required, we would have a perfect world.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

In a perfect world there would be no economic necessity to leave, the government would protect her own citizens in times of calamity without engaging in disgraceful political pissing matches, there would be no corruption, and so on. So much for that. As I understand it there is big disparity in cost and time for a tourist visa vs one of the other, more permanent options. Bureaucratic agencies have to do something to justify their existence. 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

This is in today's news:

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/99781/us-embassy-trumpets-programs-easy-visa-processing-americana-in-mall-tour

He says the visa process is easy and friendly. (the stable part might be the out)

Well, OK, the visa process is easy and friendly as per that article above, but.......when you get there and want to stay in the land of the free, they hit you with this:

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/99832/new-us-citizenship-application-form-criticized-as-tedious

Alby
Posted
Posted

I was just starting to post that link.  You beat me to it. 

From talking to others and reading the website looks like I have to have a domicile in the US  - which I do not.

Tuka,

A good number of Americans who live outside the US don't have a US address? It's not a crime!

When I move to the Philippines for good, I will use whatever my mail forwarder has given me. I won't have a US residency address either!

I don't have job either. I don't need one. Should I? :)

• Like 1