Daily Pay For Live Out Housekeeper / Cook / Maid

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

There was a recent topic for live-in help costs:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/18737-salary-for-maidhelper/

I know some of you have live out help you pay by the day to come in once or twice a week.  Here is Subic we are paying p350 for an 8 hour day that has been including lunch.  Abby thinks that is high.  I was wondering what others pay.

If you have one or know what someone is paying, can you post the:

Daily rate:

Hours expected to work:

Lunch included?:  Yes/No?

Any other benefits?:

Thanks!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It really depends on the area, ask around to see what the going rate in your area is. Lunch is typically included, no reason not to. How much is rice?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

LIVE OUT MAID:

P3500 per month

P117 per day (30 day month)

8-5 (depending on traffic, or if we need her to stay longer for an event extra pay given)

Lunch and merienda provided

Phil Health and social security paid

13th month pay given.

Having said all that, our maid has been working for my wife's family since a teenager. In fact she is as much a companion to my wife as anything else. Her brothers come and do any heavy lifting jobs I am to lazy to do. Her sister in law (and as many other female relatives we need) come over and help at special occasions. Her grandmother has been hired as the Maid/companion to my brother in laws mother in law. Shocked the heck out of me when I finally figured this all out. It is almost feudal in nature.

Others might disagree but if you do find a good maid I believe it is worth it to pay a bit more and keep them happy and loyal. But that's just me.

Forgot to add she eats what eat and will cook our meals as often as not.

Edited by scott h
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

It really depends on the area, ask around to see what the going rate in your area is. Lunch is typically included, no reason not to. How much is rice?

That is the problem.  The only people I know who have a stay out housekeeper is my landlord, who is my neighbor, and uses the this lady, who we borrow for a day.  My sample size is one!  :)

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Much better deal to have them live in and pay monthly. That's why I have a small room in my house already built heheh. Not ready for a maid / yaya yet but when baby is born towards the end of this year, she will be a necessity

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you pay them the going rate, and they are good, then someone will come along and give them a better offer.  Foreigners do that to each other.  I can not explain why except to surmise that they want someone else to teach the maid and then steal her away.

If you pay them higher than the going rate, and they are good, then others will tell you that you pay too much but you will keep your maid happy and no one will steal her away.

Such was my experience with more maids than I can remember (more than 7 less than 20 I suppose) in both Cebu city and in the boonies.  I have no maid now.  Smaller place and no need.

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

That is the problem.  The only people I know who have a stay out housekeeper is my landlord, who is my neighbor, and uses the this lady, who we borrow for a day.  My sample size is one!  :)

Same maid as your landlord (?). Then it's easy. You better pay SAME as he do to avoid he or the maid geting grumpty  :)

LIVE OUT MAID: P3500 per month
Because of not geting a room and the other benefits a live in maid get, I asume that's to low.

Because of that I would count AT LEAST what the law say about minimum salaries for OTHER jobs. (Minus if they get some extra benefits, which common workers don't get. But it's rather common workers get lunch.) That's much more region specified, but I believe the LOWEST region have minimum around 220p per ful time day plus SSS and such you wrote. In Manila region it's much higher, close to the double.

Much better deal to have them live in and pay monthly. That's why I have a small room in my house already built heheh. Not ready for a maid / yaya yet but when baby is born towards the end of this year, she will be a necessity

For me it's a much biger necessity to have privacy than having a maid  :)

robert k
Posted
Posted

Simple, pay should be according to value of work performed, including if it's done on unscheduled basis, basically on demand, it deserves a premium. Anything else is just a poll of the average pay, as every situation will be different, size of home, numbers of adults and children and the habits of people in the home.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Tomas, a quick google search will show this from the DOLE (department of labor). Below was in the Phil Star April 11 2013.

MANILA, Philippines - Hiring of housemaids remains affordable even for the middle-class despite the implementation of the Kasambahay Law in May.

Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said the minimum pay for workers as provided under the new law is very reasonable.

“Based from our computation, the daily cost of employing a household service worker is only P85, and the amount includes the health care premium so it is very minimal,” she said.

Baldoz said the implementation of the Kasambahay Law will not trigger mass displacement of domestic helpers.

Under the new law, domestic helpers in Metro Manila will get a minimum salary of P2,500 monthly.

Those employed in major cities and municipalities outside the metropolis will be getting a monthly salary of not lower than P2,000 while the minimum pay in other areas is pegged at P1,500.

I highlighted the pertinent information. There are a couple of other required benefits, they are:

Domestic helpers are also entitled to receive 13th month pay, Social Security System (SSS), PhilHealth and Pag-Ibig benefits.

So you can see I pay well above the required minimums. We do this because our maid/cook/shopper/event planner/car washer/just about anything else is a good worker and has been working for our family her whole life.

Now to enter the area of speculation, I believe (I don't know for sure) the P220 you refer to is for unskilled labor such as construction workers, shop clerks etc.

• Like 1