If It Were Legal For Us Expats To Own Guns, Would You Get One?

Would you buy a gun for the house of to carry if it were legal?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. guns, who would want to won one

• I would buy a gun for myself to carry
    • I would buy a gun for home use only
    • I would never want to own a firearm

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is legal for Filipinos who move to the USA to own a gun and even get a carry permit in some states, once they get a green card, do members think there should be reciprocal laws in the Philippines with countries that allow Philippine citizens rights in those respective countries.

Edited by Mr. Lee

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Maybe... I would own a gun.If ever I move to Philippines full time then reluctantly I would consider a tactical autoloading shotgun in my home strictly for self defense. I would not carry a hand gun on my person in the Philippines even if it were legal to do so.In a perfect world I would hope to have trustworthy family members living with me or very nearby and would not need a gun.FWIW I am a gun guy here in the States but things are very different living in Philippines.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Maybe... I would own a gun.If ever I move to Philippines full time then reluctantly I would consider a tactical autoloading shotgun in my home strictly for self defense. I would not carry a hand gun on my person in the Philippines even if it were legal to do so.In a perfect world I would hope to have trustworthy family members living with me or very nearby and would not need a gun.FWIW I am a gun guy here in the States but things are very different living in Philippines.
One thing that really needs to be taken into consideration when owning a gun, it would have to be used as a very last resort, full well knowing that it would probably end up with you being deported, even if it was a 100% good shoot, but your life and the life of your family should be paramount to any other thoughts.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a carry permit in Florida and carry all the time and I would like to get a carry permit in Cebu and I do not have to worry if I shoot someone of being deported because I am Filipino, I just have to make sure I am right in my actions.

Edited by Mr. Lee's wife

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
One thing that really needs to be taken into consideration when owning a gun, it would have to be used as a very last resort, full well knowing that it would probably end up with you being deported, even if it was a 100% good shoot, but your life and the life of your family should be paramount to any other thoughts.
A gun is not a toy. I would never point one at someone unless I had already made up my mind to pull the trigger. If you see my gun expect a loud boom to follow immediately. So if it's gone that far I've run out of options.

Ginamos
Posted
Posted

Even if owning a gun was legal, I'd still be very wary of owning one, because it wouldn't change the potential for a shakedown or a scam from the police/legal profession/ANother. Also, you risk becoming the victim of a revenge attack, if you shoot an assailant who has a family that believes they were wronged.One of the lessons I've learned about the Philippines is that legality isn't necessarily a guideline as to whether you should do something. It's a society that is bound by relationships and status. If you are high enough in the pecking order, you can get away with a lot, foreigners will always come down the status list. Don't think that by obeying the law and by being in the "right" everything will be peachy.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Even if owning a gun was legal, I'd still be very wary of owning one, because it wouldn't change the potential for a shakedown or a scam from the police/legal profession/ANother. Also, you risk becoming the victim of a revenge attack, if you shoot an assailant who has a family that believes they were wronged.One of the lessons I've learned about the Philippines is that legality isn't necessarily a guideline as to whether you should do something. It's a society that is bound by relationships and status. If you are high enough in the pecking order, you can get away with a lot, foreigners will always come down the status list. Don't think that by obeying the law and by being in the "right" everything will be peachy.
You are correct about that but I only have to worry about that if I kill him instead of him killing me. At that point it is a chance I am willing to take.

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have never owned a gun and on the few occasions I have fired one, I always missed what I was aiming for.If I had a gun I would probably kill someone I loved rather than the bad guy.Paul

Edited by ancienrocka

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Yup. owning a gun is not for everyone and especially in the Philippines, if a person did have to shoot someone in self defense, there would probably be the family issue you mentioned, and that might mean having to move away, but I would rather still be alive and have to move, then be dead or have my wife hurt. Of course that is just my point of view and I put this up so others could express theirs and not to impose mine on anyone. Also, that is another reason why we live in a condo, hopefully not having to deal with issues like that, but if and when we move to Cebu full time, then we might consider a home and that would no doubt make me buy a gun as well.Also, Paul ancienrocka, I fully understand and a person should always know themselves and their own limitations before even thinking about owning a gun. In other words, never buy a gun for self defense, if you think you could not use it for self defense should you have to, but a trained person would never place a family members life in danger once they understand the proper use of a firearm.

Travis
Posted
Posted

I do not know the rules but if Filipinos are allowed to own guns in the US then we should be allowed to own guns while we live in the Philippines. If I could then I would surely own one or more.