If It Were Legal For Us Expats To Own Guns, Would You Get One?

Would you buy a gun for the house of to carry if it were legal?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. guns, who would want to won one

• I would buy a gun for myself to carry
    • I would buy a gun for home use only
    • I would never want to own a firearm

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
No question I would get a hand gun for home use.
Marko, you can get a gun in your wifes name if you really wish to have one in the home but if you live in a safe community such as a condo such as where we live in, or a gated development, then it is my opinion at this point that a gun would not be needed. It seems like too much of a hassle to own one here and then you always have to make sure that your wife also knows how to use it properly and since you have a child in your home, you would also have to make sure it was locked away so she could not hurt herself or anyone else by accident. All in all, I guess it will depend on where you live and if you feel you have set your home up to prevent home invasions. As for owning one to carry while in the Philippines, I feel that will probably never happen for us and with all the security at just about everywhere we go here, it would be almost impossible to carry one unless we were going to leave it in the car every time we got out to go into any sort of business, so that just about defeats the purpose anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
love2winalot
Posted
Posted

Hiya: My brotherinlaw modified a BB Gun, and turned it into a 22. This is in our house in Morong. I am bringing a 775,000 volt stun gun with me next month. It is Legal, and only cost $90. It is pretty easy to just Ignore, "Yankee go home, and F%#^&* ", you and the like. I was at the Night Market on Subic Bay freeport shortly after the Subic Rape Case was going on, and 1 guy was sure i must be involved somehow, and just kept shouting at me. Security stopped him. But, just in case, having a way to defend yourself is a good idea. imhop.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hiya: My brotherinlaw modified a BB Gun, and turned it into a 22. This is in our house in Morong. I am bringing a 775,000 volt stun gun with me next month. It is Legal, and only cost $90. It is pretty easy to just Ignore, "Yankee go home, and F%#^&* ", you and the like. I was at the Night Market on Subic Bay freeport shortly after the Subic Rape Case was going on, and 1 guy was sure i must be involved somehow,

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I just carry a really big knife, but only if walking at night. It is up close and personal, and does not kill those innocent people unfortunate enough to be downrange. A good field-dressing can permanently cure a criminal mind of bad habits.A iron wood walking stick is also suggested, one can even fend off machete attacks, and has a heavier striking power of that of a lead pipe. You can carry them anywhere, even on a ferry or a plane, so it is excellent protection.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
I just carry a really big knife, but only if walking at night. It is up close and personal, and does not kill those innocent people unfortunate enough to be downrange. A good field-dressing can permanently cure a criminal mind of bad habits.A iron wood walking stick is also suggested, one can even fend off machete attacks, and has a heavier striking power of that of a lead pipe. You can carry them anywhere, even on a ferry or a plane, so it is excellent protection.
Especially of you taper one side to a rounded edge so it is shaped like a teardrop. A good hit with the narrow edge will break a bone every time. thumbs-up-smile.gif

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

A gun should be a last resort tool.. If there was a break in at the house for example its more than likely warning shots even with a starter pistol would get the message across before it got to the need to actually put someone down. The other thing to remember if your not bothering anyone its unlikely you will fall foul to someone that will kill you. Even if robbed on the street its the goods they are after not a killing. Although could do with more cases actually dealt with being high profile and high manpower on some murder cases to actually get the point across that it isnt ok to shoot people here.. currently there is a very good chance someone would get away with it even if witnessed and that won't change over night. But the average retired person (which seems to be the majority here) have little to worry about. Its normally people that are either at risk of armed burglars or involved in business here that get the headaches..

• 1 month later...
Washingtonian
Posted
Posted
It is legal for Filipinos who move to the USA to own a gun and even get a carry permit in some states, once they get a green card, do members think there should be reciprocal laws in the Philippines with countries that allow Philippine citizens rights in those respective countries.
I would prefer that no one in America or The Phiippines own a gun, but I am in the minority, and I accept that many people want to own a gun. I live part time in China, and although there are limits on my freedom, and it is not where I want to spend the rest of my life, I do know that I will probably not get shot. Guns are illegal here in China, and the government does a good job of keeping guns away from all citizens.Washingtonian

• 2 weeks later...
tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Washingtonian one thing to remember in the Philippines as well though is that you can buy an illegal pistol for around P1,000 if your at home while robbers come into your house there is a very high chance they will kill everyone in the home. I think the most I have heard of being killed in one home is 16 people while being here because they also killed all the staff. There is a bit of a wild west culture here in the Philippines which is part of the problem the other is that Foreign = money.

• 2 months later...
joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I do not believe in guns. Once you pull it out you better use it. Then someone gets the bullet. In both cases your life is destroyed.What do you have in your house that would be so valuable if you loose it so to defend it with death (yours or others)? Your flat screen TV or a few thousand dollars? These you can remake, life not.If one intends to kill you so to rob you, he will do it irrepsective if you have gun or not. You might be able to shoot back, if you have the time to pull your gun from where you had it hidden, unless if you walk around like rambo...If one intends to rob you and kill you if you resist, you live through it but a life is lost if you use a weapon. Once you live in a society that you need to spread fear due to your gun, is that a life or what? Leave.The gun is to shoot. If you use it, do the purpose of it, otherwise you better not have it, will kill you.There are smarter ways to protect your property from everyday thieves. Get a couple of dogs, buy a few cameras, keep a helper in the house at all times, do not scream your wealth to poor people.In 8 years in PI i never never felt the need to own a gun. I have been robbed (less than i had in the western world) i have beed threatened, i dealed it all without a gun and no further complications. Did i had to shoot the guy who snatched my wife's cellphone and runned? Does an iphone worths ones life and/or all my ordeal with courts and jails etc?I have been to war, i have killed in fight, i am good on it too. No to guns.Never forget there are more guns in PI than people, they know you have it they come with a dozen of them.

No name
Posted
Posted

I would carry it. Using it, in the current climate, would cause a horde of other problems but at least you can deal with those if you're still breathing.I don't think I need one in Bogo City, but I still would carry. I have carried a stun gun. I fell one night and busted it. :th_need_vac: Was very cool as it looks like a flashlight, actually it was a flashlight LOL Aww I just ordered stuff from the states, I should have got a new one. :bedtime2: Maybe next time.