If It Were Legal For Us Expats To Own Guns, Would You Get One?

Would you buy a gun for the house of to carry if it were legal?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. guns, who would want to won one

• I would buy a gun for myself to carry
    • I would buy a gun for home use only
    • I would never want to own a firearm

TheMason
Posted
Posted
It is legal for Filipinos who move to the USA to own a gun and even get a carry permit in some states, once they get a green card, do members think there should be reciprocal laws in the Philippines with countries that allow Philippine citizens rights in those respective countries.
I do not know the rules but if Filipinos are allowed to own guns in the US then we should be allowed to own guns while we live in the Philippines. If I could then I would surely own one or more.
To be fair, wouldn't this reciprocity have to go both ways? Shouldn't Filipinos be able to do all the things in the US that Americans are legally permitted to do in the Philippines?Things like drive vehicles with no regard for emissions or safety of the vehicle, gamble on cockfights, keep stray (often rabid) dogs, and discriminate against short or dark skinned people? It is legal for Americans to do all of these things in the Philippines, so fair is fair, right?The Filipino people, via their elected officials, have decided they do not want foreigners to own guns. Its the law and not likely to change, no matter what Filipinos are permitted to do in the US. Get over it.

Ginamos
Posted
Posted
Yup. owning a gun is not for everyone and especially in the Philippines, if a person did have to shoot someone in self defense, there would probably be the family issue you mentioned, and that might mean having to move away, but I would rather still be alive and have to move, then be dead or have my wife hurt. Of course that is just my point of view and I put this up so others could express theirs and not to impose mine on anyone.
Absolutely agree, it's very much up to the individual. For me the downsides of gun ownership outweigh the benefits, but we're all in different situations and have different value judgements.

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

This is not intended to start a Brit versus Yank war, but would it be fair to say that most of the proponents for carrying a gun are American citizens where gun ownership is part of the culture?Almost nobody owns a gun in the UK or Australia so maybe the question is culture based.Paul

mikejwoodnz
Posted
Posted

It is far safer that everybody knows Kano cannot carry. If we were armed then under the Philippine rules of engagement the Philippine could end any dispute by simply shooting you. The dead have no defense.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
I have never owned a gun and on the few occasions I have fired one, I always missed what I was aiming for.If I had a gun I would probably kill someone I loved rather than the bad guy.Paul
Try a Cricket Bat. Hit with the edge it breaks bones better.

Warlord
Posted
Posted

With all the robberies as of late from banks buses to home invasions I would buy a gun in a heartbeat maybe 2 .... lol Things are not good here in the Philippines Desperate folks do desperate things.Especially when they are hungry!Warlord

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
This is not intended to start a Brit versus Yank war, but would it be fair to say that most of the proponents for carrying a gun are American citizens where gun ownership is part of the culture?Almost nobody owns a gun in the UK or Australia so maybe the question is culture based.Paul
I believe you are correct,it is a culture thing. People who have been bought up with guns are afraid to live without them.Anyone who feels the need to carry a weapon whether its a gun or a knife in the Philippines or anywhere for that matter are running scared of the what "ifs" in life.An alcoholic or a smoker feels better,safer holding onto the bottle or smoke,a person carrying a gun feels the same way. The gun holder wont always be the winner in the event of trouble,its who uses a weapon first has the upper hand,what if someone shoots you in the back of the head with a bow and arrow,never seen it coming so the safety net of a gun hanging from the belt is now useless.So thats my two bobs worth and I know of at least one forum member here will not agree with me ,lol :th_exactly:

johnb
Posted
Posted
I believe you are correct,it is a culture thing. People who have been bought up with guns are afraid to live without them.Anyone who feels the need to carry a weapon whether its a gun or a knife in the Philippines or anywhere for that matter are running scared of the what "ifs" in life.An alcoholic or a smoker feels better,safer holding onto the bottle or smoke,a person carrying a gun feels the same way. The gun holder wont always be the winner in the event of trouble,its who uses a weapon first has the upper hand,what if someone shoots you in the back of the head with a bow and arrow,never seen it coming so the safety net of a gun hanging from the belt is now useless.So thats my two bobs worth and I know of at least one forum member here will not agree with me ,lol :th_exactly:
The culture argument/question is a good one, however the Philippines is not the UK, I know longer live in the UK, haven't done for more than fourteen years, so when in Rome!My wife has a gun license here in the Philippines, we live here full time, even as a Brit I'm formally trained with firearms carried both a yellow and green card in the British Military[ maybe not relevant to USA forces] but will be understood by British ground forces. so I'm happy to support the use of a firearm for home protection [ with suitable training], but I do not see the need to carry a firearm outside of your home. so as a married guy the Philippine law as it stands is fine for me. for those that are not comfortable with firearms, thats understandable and just stay away from them, for those that feel they would like to know more about firearms, there is training available. [a British guy who does support the use of a firearm for home security in the Philippines]John b

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I believe you are correct,it is a culture thing. People who have been bought up with guns are afraid to live without them.Anyone who feels the need to carry a weapon whether its a gun or a knife in the Philippines or anywhere for that matter are running scared of the what "ifs" in life.An alcoholic or a smoker feels better,safer holding onto the bottle or smoke,a person carrying a gun feels the same way. The gun holder wont always be the winner in the event of trouble,its who uses a weapon first has the upper hand,what if someone shoots you in the back of the head with a bow and arrow,never seen it coming so the safety net of a gun hanging from the belt is now useless.So thats my two bobs worth and I know of at least one forum member here will not agree with me ,lol :1 (72):
Tom you are correct, I agree with you that it is a cultural thing......... We are all brainwashed by our own respective countries without even knowing it......... We go to school and are taught what the government wants teachers to teach and what they themselves were brought up to believe, we watch different TV programs and movies, often made in our own countries, or that have been edited by people brought up in our own countries and edited to support our own countries point of view based on what the editor thinks it should be, we read newspapers that only tell us what they want us to know and are often run by people who are from one party or the other in our governments....... For instance, in the states it seems that most major newspaperss and TV stations here are owned by Democrats and will often just give that side of their point of view. Oh and to you people reading that are not from the states, movies you see about the states and with shoot em ups are not real and only the movies and do not in any way depict real life action or what really happens most of the time, even when they are supposed to be about real life things, they are dramatized to make people want to watch the movies.Now, you may say I am crazy, but think about it, if you were brought up in your own country and then you are a teacher or movie maker or whatever, would you not then make things or teach things as you have been brought up to believe them? Now as far as carrying a knife or gun meaning that you are running scared, that is not at all the case with most people who carry guns or knives....... Often a person who has been privy to what really goes on in their own country or in another country, will want to carry or at the very least have a gun at home to protect themselves or their family from a home invasion....... I carry a knife as a tool to be used during daily life, I of course could carry a leatherman tool instead and often do when going out to the provinces, but even in the cities, I have had many uses for a knife to open things or cut off tags or other things that escape me right now, but it was always convenient to have the knife when I needed it and I have carried one most of my adult life and since I also carried a gun, the knife was not just for self defense....... Yes, I can use it for self defense should the need arise and it would be better than nothing in certain circumstances and worse if used in the wrong circumstances and knowing the difference is a matter of proper training........ Never use a knife in a gun fight but should the gun used by your adversary miss fire when they try to kill you for no reason, the knife is handy to have to end his aggression quickly........ I would always rather give up property than take a life, but I will defend my wife, friends and my life should it become obvious that there is no other way but to take the aggressors life. As to the statement Johh made "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" my wife was brought up in the Philippines and had no experience with guns and was sort of afraid of them when she got to the states......... I taught her the proper use and safe handling of a firearm and taught her how to shoot, she has a Florida carry permit for many years now and carries a gun wherever she or we go in the states that she is allowed to, and she often feels naked, so to speak, whenever we go to states or countries that she cannot carry, but when in the Philippines or other countries, neither she nor I carry and she and I feel that we are not as safe as we are in the states because when outside the states, we would not be able to defend ourselves should the need arise........ For that reason, we have to use more due care and stay out of more places and take taxis more than jeepneys, and come home at a reasonable hour, etc, etc, and just be more cognizant of our surroundings and the people around us and so far that seems to have worked and I hope we never encounter a problem when in the Philippines because I love that country and would hate to be deported and never be able to come back for defending our lives.Now you may say, when would anyone need a gun, and I can tell you all that having one has saved my life a few times and saved me from being carjacked when down in Miami a couple of times........ Of course I could have stayed out of those areas, but why should I have to not be able to live my life and visit my friends or go to businesses that have what is not available anywhere else but in those places, just because of low life criminals....... If we were in the Philippines, I would have to avoid those places but here I do not have to and no one should be a prisoner in their own country or even in another country that they pick to live because of fear of criminals. All IMHO

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I believe you are correct,it is a culture thing. People who have been bought up with guns are afraid to live without them.Anyone who feels the need to carry a weapon whether its a gun or a knife in the Philippines or anywhere for that matter are running scared of the what "ifs" in life.An alcoholic or a smoker feels better,safer holding onto the bottle or smoke,a person carrying a gun feels the same way. The gun holder wont always be the winner in the event of trouble,its who uses a weapon first has the upper hand,what if someone shoots you in the back of the head with a bow and arrow,never seen it coming so the safety net of a gun hanging from the belt is now useless.So thats my two bobs worth and I know of at least one forum member here will not agree with me ,lol :1 (72):
Tom you are correct, I agree with you that it is a cultural thing......... We are all brainwashed by our own respective countries without even knowing it......... We go to school and are taught what the government wants teachers to teach and what they themselves were brought up to believe, we watch different TV programs and movies, often made in our own countries, or that have been edited by people brought up in our own countries and edited to support our own countries point of view based on what the editor thinks it should be, we read newspapers that only tell us what they want us to know and are often run by people who are from one party or the other in our governments....... For instance, in the states it seems that most major newspaperss and TV stations here are owned by Democrats and will often just give that side of their point of view. Oh and to you people reading that are not from the states, movies you see about the states and with shoot em ups are not real and only the movies and do not in any way depict real life action or what really happens most of the time, even when they are supposed to be about real life things, they are dramatized to make people want to watch the movies.Now, you may say I am crazy, but think about it, if you were brought up in your own country and then you are a teacher or movie maker or whatever, would you not then make things or teach things as you have been brought up to believe them? Now as far as carrying a knife or gun meaning that you are running scared, that is not at all the case with most people who carry guns or knives....... Often a person who has been privy to what really goes on in their own country or in another country, will want to carry or at the very least have a gun at home to protect themselves or their family from a home invasion....... I carry a knife as a tool to be used during daily life, I of course could carry a leatherman tool instead and often do when going out to the provinces, but even in the cities, I have had many uses for a knife to open things or cut off tags or other things that escape me right now, but it was always convenient to have the knife when I needed it and I have carried one most of my adult life and since I also carried a gun, the knife was not just for self defense....... Yes, I can use it for self defense should the need arise and it would be better than nothing in certain circumstances and worse if used in the wrong circumstances and knowing the difference is a matter of proper training........ Never use a knife in a gun fight but should the gun used by your adversary miss fire when they try to kill you for no reason, the knife is handy to have to end his aggression quickly........ I would always rather give up property than take a life, but I will defend my wife, friends and my life should it become obvious that there is no other way but to take the aggressors life. As to the statement Johh made "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" my wife was brought up in the Philippines and had no experience with guns and was sort of afraid of them when she got to the states......... I taught her the proper use and safe handling of a firearm and taught her how to shoot, she has a Florida carry permit for many years now and carries a gun wherever she or we go in the states that she is allowed to, and she often feels naked, so to speak, whenever we go to states or countries that she cannot carry, but when in the Philippines or other countries, neither she nor I carry and she and I feel that we are not as safe as we are in the states because when outside the states, we would not be able to defend ourselves should the need arise........ For that reason, we have to use more due care and stay out of more places and take taxis more than jeepneys, and come home at a reasonable hour, etc, etc, and just be more cognizant of our surroundings and the people around us and so far that seems to have worked and I hope we never encounter a problem when in the Philippines because I love that country and would hate to be deported and never be able to come back for defending our lives.Now you may say, when would anyone need a gun, and I can tell you all that having one has saved my life a few times and saved me from being carjacked when down in Miami a couple of times........ Of course I could have stayed out of those areas, but why should I have to not be able to live my life and visit my friends or go to businesses that have what is not available anywhere else but in those places, just because of low life criminals....... If we were in the Philippines, I would have to avoid those places but here I do not have to and no one should be a prisoner in their own country or even in another country that they pick to live because of fear of criminals. All IMHO
As to the statement Johh made "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" my wife was brought up in the Philippines and had no experience with guns and was sort of afraid of them when she got to the states......... I taught her the proper use and safe handling of a firearm and taught her how to shoot, she has a Florida carry permit for many years now and carries a gun wherever she or we go in the states that she is allowed to, and she often feels naked, so to speak, whenever we go to states or countries that she cannot carry, but when in the Philippines or other countries, neither she nor I carry and she and I feel that we are not as safe as we are in the states because when outside the states, we would not be able to defend ourselves should the need arise........ For that reason, we have to use more due care and stay out of more places and take taxis more than jeepneys, and come home at a reasonable hour, etc, etc, and just be more cognizant of our surroundings and the people around us and so far that seems to have worked and I hope we never encounter a problem when in the Philippines because I love that country and would hate to be deported and never be able to come back for defending our lives.
Well that proves that you have embedded your culture or fears into your wife,she feels safe with a gun now,did she not feel safe in the Philippines before you met?From what you have written says to me you are scared to go about a normal life in the Philippines,must be home before its late etc.You might have had a reason to need a gun in the states because of your former line of work but in the Philippines you are nobody and the chances of being mugged are much smaller than maybe the back streets of home. In my view if you cant live a normal life in the Philippines without being paranoid about where you are or what time it is then maybe its not the place for you?
If we were in the Philippines, I would have to avoid those places but here I do not have to and no one should be a prisoner in their own country or even in another country that they pick to live because of fear of criminals. All IMHO
But you are a prisoner if you feel you can not go any where with out protection