If It Were Legal For Us Expats To Own Guns, Would You Get One?

Would you buy a gun for the house of to carry if it were legal?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. guns, who would want to won one

• I would buy a gun for myself to carry
    • I would buy a gun for home use only
    • I would never want to own a firearm

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Well that proves that you have embedded your culture or fears into your wife,she feels safe with a gun now,did she not feel safe in the Philippines before you met?From what you have written says to me you are scared to go about a normal life in the Philippines,must be home before its late etc.You might have had a reason to need a gun in the states because of your former line of work but in the Philippines you are nobody and the chances of being mugged are much smaller than maybe the back streets of home. In my view if you cant live a normal life in the Philippines without being paranoid about where you are or what time it is then maybe its not the place for you?
My wife used to live in a small village, then a small town outside Cebu City and then Cagayan de Oro before it became a larger city, and not a big city like Cebu City is now or where we live in the US. She still feels perfectly safe when out in her village without a firearm. Also a lot of time has passed since then and times are not getting better anywhere in this world that I know of. Since marrying me, and listening to the communication devices that I have set up in our home in Florida, because I am an amateur radio operator and help in emergency communications here during emergencies, and which the average person does not have, she has been able to hear what really goes on in the county and town we live in and what makes it to the paper. There is a vast difference between what really goes on and what the public is made aware of as most crimes never make it to the papers or TV news, so because of that, she has a much better insight to the real world than most people and therefore has changed how she feels for that reason and not because of her living with me or the culture in the US. Most people in the US and other places blissfully go about their lives with their heads in the sand and have no idea what goes on around them unless it makes it to the newspapers or TV. I actually think most people are better off that way and not knowing something IMHO is often is better than knowing and not being able to do anything about it.
But you are a prisoner if you feel you can not go any where with out protection
My prisoner comment was how a lot of people feel because there are a lot of places that not everyone should go. Heck there are many places that the average Filipino will not go, like Tondo in the Manila area where crime is rampant from what I have been told.IMO people should not have to avoid areas because of crime and crime should be stopped totally or people should be allowed the tools to defend themselves and their families, because the government and civilization refuses to do what is necessary to make the world a totally safe place to live. I think the rights of the many should overrule the rights of the few who continually choose to break the law, and since governments will not do it, all people who want to, should be able to have the tools to protect themselves IMO...I guess I will never change your mind and that would never be my goal, but at the same time I think it should not be people who grew up in anti gun countries right to think that their way is the only way or the right way. What is right for them, may not be right for me and what is right for me, may not be right for them.Anyway when I started this thread it was for both sides to state if they would own a gun or not and not for me to knock them for their views or them to knock mine or others reasons, but instead for everyone to state if they would or wouldn't. The title is "If It Were Legal For Us Expats To Own Guns, Would You Get One?" So while I respect your feelings, I think it should only be normal for you and others from countries that do not allow guns to respect the views from people from countries that do and I am not sure the US is the only civilized country and not think that everyone who owns guns to defend themselves needs to be paraniod because they feel the need. :1 (72): Last, let me bring up that John is from a none gun culture yet he owns guns because I believe he also has more knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes and not what the public is told. So it may be more about knowing more than the average person is allowed to know IMHO.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I would like to say there is a difference between being paranoid and being prepared. I don't own a gun myself though I have in the past. you don't have to have a gun to defend yourself you just have to be willing to. If you rely on others to do it for you (Like the police) then you will certainly not be prepared. Guns do require adequite safety trtaining and practice to be sure you don't shoot yourself or your family. You shouldn't just pick it up and blast away.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
This is not intended to start a Brit versus Yank war, but would it be fair to say that most of the proponents for carrying a gun are American citizens where gun ownership is part of the culture?Almost nobody owns a gun in the UK or Australia so maybe the question is culture based.Paul
That is a valid point Paul, but Filipinos are allowed to own guns and from what I have seen and heard, it is also a Filipino cultural thing. Many Filipinos that can afford guns own guns and even many who cannot afford one seem to own one anyway. Back to the topic, it is all up to the person and not the place they come from, there are always exceptions in every country. People who come from States in the US that do not allow guns, are usually also of the same opinion as people who come from countries that do not allow guns, but this was not meant to be a discussion on who should or should not, but sort of a poll of who would want to if they could. I think it is fair to say that Americans seem to be out numbered in the Philippines by people from other countries, at least from what I have personally seen in the malls and at meetings etc, so I really expected this poll to go against gun ownership in a huge way.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

That is not what your numbers seem to be showing at this point. Its like 12 to 4 in favor. I would like to add that while I would consider owning a gun if an intruder was not armed with one I probably would not use mine either. Too easy to shoot someone you didn't intend to. A baseball bat or one of those war clubs the Maori in New Zealand used would be better at close quarters. Both will easily break bones and certainly take your opponents mind off hurting you.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I would like to say there is a difference between being paranoid and being prepared. I don't own a gun myself though I have in the past. you don't have to have a gun to defend yourself you just have to be willing to. If you rely on others to do it for you (Like the police) then you will certainly not be prepared. Guns do require adequite safety trtaining and practice to be sure you don't shoot yourself or your family. You shouldn't just pick it up and blast away.
I would like to say there is a difference between being paranoid and being prepared.
Yes being paranoid is not going out after 10 PM in the Philippines because you are not allowed to carry a gun.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
I would like to say there is a difference between being paranoid and being prepared.
Yes being paranoid is not going out after 10 PM in the Philippines because you are not allowed to carry a gun.
I usually don't go out after 10 because I am sleeping, but I have in the past. I stay aware of what is going on around me and move on if things don't look right. Personally if I need to be armed to feel safe somewhere the first thing I do is think about whether I really need to go there. If I do then I exercise due caution.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

Owning and carrying a gun is a choice I made, becoming a victim is not.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Tom,You referred to Lee as a 'nobody'. I assure you that he is the biggest Kano 'target' around Cebu most of the times. That means he is a 'somebody'! Somebody to hide behind if the bullets are flying! We (damn) foreigners in the Philippines simply can't do the sardine thing and blend in and hope the other guy gets eaten. We stand out, we are assumed to have money. T A R G E T ....... But all kidding aside, I carry a gun and so does Lee for a reason you may not think of at first. Most people think that a person carries a gun for protection. Which is true, but not always for their own protection. If 'something' happens in front of Lee (or myself) involving violence against someone else, there is a good chance we would act. Once you act, then YOU become the target. Times are changing and others mentioning the UK and other Queen's posessions are a great example of a raising tide of violence matched with a decreasing RIGHT of the citizen to protect himself and his property. It is only going to get worse. Guns are ugly to some, beautiful to others, but to most of us, simply a 'tool'. Like a jack in a car, you carry it for years and never use it until you get a flat tire. Further, those of us who carry for long periods do so without any problems. No paranoia or related issues. Simply being prepared 'if' something presents that a gun might be able to settle if there is no other way.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Tom,You referred to Lee as a 'nobody'. I assure you that he is the biggest Kano 'target' around Cebu most of the times. That means he is a 'somebody'! Somebody to hide behind if the bullets are flying! We (damn) foreigners in the Philippines simply can't do the sardine thing and blend in and hope the other guy gets eaten. We stand out, we are assumed to have money. T A R G E T ....... But all kidding aside, I carry a gun and so does Lee for a reason you may not think of at first. Most people think that a person carries a gun for protection. Which is true, but not always for their own protection. If 'something' happens in front of Lee (or myself) involving violence against someone else, there is a good chance we would act. Once you act, then YOU become the target. Times are changing and others mentioning the UK and other Queen's posessions are a great example of a raising tide of violence matched with a decreasing RIGHT of the citizen to protect himself and his property. It is only going to get worse. Guns are ugly to some, beautiful to others, but to most of us, simply a 'tool'. Like a jack in a car, you carry it for years and never use it until you get a flat tire. Further, those of us who carry for long periods do so without any problems. No paranoia or related issues. Simply being prepared 'if' something presents that a gun might be able to settle if there is no other way.
Yes I like hanging out with big guys for just that reason. :3_12_31[1]: Also because fewer people mess with them in the first place. I agree with you a gun is a tool and can be very effective in the right hands. Just because you don't have a gun however doesn't make you helpless. That is all I was saying. I prefer other means first. Like I have said before before I would even show the gun I will have already decided someone is getting shot. My dad used to say a gun is not a toy. Never point it at anyone unless you have already decided to use it. Then use it. Waving and threatening with it is what will get you killed.

• 8 months later...
United Army
Posted
Posted
Yes I like hanging out with big guys for just that reason. biggrin.gif Also because fewer people mess with them in the first place. I agree with you a gun is a tool and can be very effective in the right hands. Just because you don't have a gun however doesn't make you helpless. That is all I was saying. I prefer other means first. Like I have said before before I would even show the gun I will have already decided someone is getting shot. My dad used to say a gun is not a toy. Never point it at anyone unless you have already decided to use it. Then use it. Waving and threatening with it is what will get you killed.
No question I would get a hand gun for home use.