Best Electric Generator For Back-Up Power.

Americano
Posted
Posted

I'm planning to buy a back-up generator soon but since there are so many available in the Philippines I'm wondering if any of our readers have any good or bad experiences with a particular make or model. Also, is it better to buy a gas or diesel one?  I think 3 or 4 kilo watts would be enough to operate everything needed during a power outage.

Jake
Posted
Posted

I'm planning to buy a back-up generator soon but since there are so many available in the Philippines I'm wondering if any of our readers have any good or bad experiences with a particular make or model. Also, is it better to buy a gas or diesel one?  I think 3 or 4 kilo watts would be enough to operate everything needed during a power outage.

Hey Phillip,

I'm not at all familiar with any back up generators.  However, I do start asking questions about availability of repair

or spare parts.  Or this question about which part(s) have high failure rate and buy them for ready spares.  

You don't want to have your beers get warmer and warmer.  Get that thing repaired ASAP.....he, he.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would buy a propane fueled generator if it's going to sit a month or more at a time without use. You don't have to worry about the fuel going bad or gummed up carburetors or black mold growing in the diesel fuel and filter, adding fuel stabilizer. Most I have seen are quieter also. Where to find one would probably be the problem.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

It will cost you but getting one with a Honda gas engine would be good.  However, as Robert said you have to be on top of adding fuel stabilizer when not in use.  When I lived in Florida I didn't use stabilizer after the first use of the generator and I had to get the carb cleaned out on my almost brand new unit.  The hot weather will ruin the gas very fast.

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

even some business owners I have spoken to have not considered having a backup generator necessary, considering their expense. And this is when they may have 200,000 pesos worth of gear in the freezer to protect. It still takes a long time for a freezer packed full of frozen gear to spoil. Plenty longer than any power outage they have ever experienced over years has lasted. They can think that however inconvenient and irritating they may be, power outages just never last long enough to be a serious concern. The earthquake and typhoon last year which caused such lengthy loss of power on Bohol and Leyte may have changed attitudes somewhat. Because it could be anywhere the next time there is a really lengthy power outage. A big quake can happen anywhere. Having them just to ensure your aircon works during the small number of hours almost all power outages last is a bit silly. If you have a lot of gear to protect in freezers like somebody with a restaurant does, then they make much more sense. But even then, some people who are not stupid, think twice about having one.

• Like 1

Stillpoint
Posted
Posted
Having them just to ensure your aircon works during the small number of hours almost all power outages last is a bit silly. If you have a lot of gear to protect in freezers like somebody with a restaurant does, then they make much more sense. But even then, some people who are not stupid, think twice about having one.

I volunteer as silly cuz I just bought a 5000 kVA diesel. Just too uncomfortable in DC lately with the drought induced rotating blackouts.  People fill the malls to get relief; I can afford to stay home.  110,000 P Kimpor brand.

• Like 3

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

I happened to be on the west side of Cebu when the typhoon happened. i know several business owners around there. Two of them have bar resto type places. Another one has a guesthouse, as well as bar/resto/videoke place. Of those three, only the one with the guesthouse bothers with a generator and that is because of the guesthouse customers. It is not because of his own personal needs as most people who have been living in the Philippines as long as they have (each of them over 10 years) bother much, if at all, with aircon. In the event the guesthouse owner did not need to use his generator even on the typhoon day, because power was only down in Balamban for 12 hours until 6pm even on that day. He could not afford to have the customers running a/c anyway from a generator. He would have to go round room to room and disable the aircon. He would have to raise his prices if he did not do that. That is what at least some hoteliers did on Bohol after the quake. When the power went they put their generators on and then a day or so later turned round and said to the guests, ok you lot are all paying 500 pesos per day extra in rent. The guests complained. So next thing they said was right you lot, out you go on the street. We're closing down.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Just too uncomfortable in DC lately with the drought induced rotating blackouts.

Where is DC?

Stillpoint
Posted
Posted
most people who have been living in the Philippines as long as they have (each of them over 10 years) bother much, if at all, with aircon.

If the natives are running to the malls, it's probably  v uncomfortable for someone from a northern latitude like me.  Anyway..this is what I got here...I hired an electrician experienced with generator installation, but he couldn't start the generator.  It turns out the battery was dead from the store...but the electrician had checked the battery...said it was 11.7 volts...then the store came and said that that was just the capacity he checked, not the amp charge...so they are charging it now..what the???  Why didn't my electrician figure out that the battery was dead in the 1st place???

I mean, he's a good electrician, but...???

Stillpoint
Posted
Posted

DC = Davao City