Best Electric Generator For Back-Up Power.

robert k
Posted
Posted

The math is fairly simple I think. If you have two big marine batteries that that have 100 amp hours to contribute each. I would not run them dead so -10% leaves 180 amp hours. if you average 20 amps I would say it could last you 7 to 8 hours. Why not 9? because the inverter will not have perfect conversion efficiency. the lower the voltage, it will take more energy from the battery to maintain the same output dropping from 13.25 volts down to 11 or less will make a difference. The inverter's fan will also draw energy. It might only be 6 hours. I have an 800W inverter in my vehicle but they advertise it as only 88% efficient and I don't think that includes the inverters fan load.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hi, as a new member of the forum I hesitate to make such a long post but here is my ten-cents worth based on a steep and often expensive learning curve.

I lived aboard a junk in Hong Kong for four years. With no mains supply I was totally depandent on generators as my primary power supply. I used an inverter/charger to supply 240 volts during periods of low demand.

I had a 5kva diesel generator and a Honda 2kva petrol (gasoline) generator as backup. I also had a high capacity alternator on the main engine which could be used to recharge the battery bank more quckly than the two generators.

Cheers Terry

Triple LIKE Terry, great advice especially about sinewave vs squarewave outputs.  Perhaps, at another time

with a new topic, I would love to hear more about living on board a Chinese junk.  You're the man!

Respectfully -- Jake (an avid sailor -- windsurfing and Hobie Cats)

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Great report, China Hand.  I get the feeling, from your report, that many of us would be able to supply our needs from a combination of a small honda generator with a set of batteries and inverter.

Correct me if I am misunderstanding here, but in a totally off grid situation or extreme power failure you could run the generator for 4 hours, using that power supply while you recharge batteries, and then run off the batteries for the rest of the day?  Would you say the Honda Generator runs on about a liter of gas an hour?  So about a gallon a day using it for 4 hours?

I suspect this would keep a person with enough power for minimal use but would it run a fridge?

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Jake, Thanks for your kind words. (Blush)

Inevitably there is one glitch. In 6) I should have said "car batteries and many so-called heavy duty marine batteries AREN'T truely rated for deep discharge".

I need to learn how to edit posts post posting.

Cheers Terry

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Great report, China Hand.  I get the feeling, from your report, that many of us would be able to supply our needs from a combination of a small honda generator with a set of batteries and inverter.

Correct me if I am misunderstanding here, but in a totally off grid situation or extreme power failure you could run the generator for 4 hours, using that power supply while you recharge batteries, and then run off the batteries for the rest of the day?  Would you say the Honda Generator runs on about a liter of gas an hour?  So about a gallon a day using it for 4 hours?

I suspect this would keep a person with enough power for minimal use but would it run a fridge?

Hi Dave

Yes you are correct. One advantage of inverters is that they can handle heavy start up loads for a short period. If your fridge is kept full (use bottles of water for example) the motor is not running that much but there is a heavy load for a short time each time it needs to cool down.

If you are on the grid you could do without a generator at all if you only need the back-up for a short time or for a small load for a long time. RV's (motorhomes to us Brits) do this - pulling into a campsite every few days to recharge the batteries and running off the batteries the rest of the time.

If you go for this solution the battery bank needs to be sized carefully. An earlier poster touched on this although if I were using a system all the time I would not discharge the batteries below 50%: even with automotive batteries.

If you need a to support a heavy ac load for many hours eg air conditioning (kWatts rather than a few hundred watts) then a generator plus charger/inverter is the way to go.

A gallon for four hours would be about right for 2kVA petrol gennie.

Cheers Terry

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave

Yes you are correct. One advantage of inverters is that they can handle heavy start up loads for a short period. If your fridge is kept full (use bottles of water for example) the motor is not running that much but there is a heavy load for a short time each time it needs to cool down.

If you are on the grid you could do without a generator at all if you only need the back-up for a short time or for a small load for a long time. RV's (motorhomes to us Brits) do this - pulling into a campsite every few days to recharge the batteries and running off the batteries the rest of the time.

If you go for this solution the battery bank needs to be sized carefully. An earlier poster touched on this although if I were using a system all the time I would not discharge the batteries below 50%: even with automotive batteries.

If you need a to support a heavy ac load for many hours eg air conditioning (kWatts rather than a few hundred watts) then a generator plus charger/inverter is the way to go.

A gallon for four hours would be about right for 2kVA petrol gennie.

Cheers Terry

Keep going guys.....I love this chit!

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

I need to go offline for a bit now. My original reply was more focussed on using a gennie (or inverter) for back-up during brownouts.

Going off the grid is potentially a hugh topic, but one close to my heart since sailors do it everytime they leave harbour. Or in my case even when I was in harbour...

Is this best covered here or in a new thread.

Cheers Terry.

PS I answered the questions posed without looking to see if this topic has been covered elsewhere on this forum. Will do what all newbies should and look through old posts.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

I need to go offline for a bit now. My original reply was more focussed on using a gennie (or inverter) for back-up during brownouts.

Going off the grid is potentially a hugh topic, but one close to my heart since sailors do it everytime they leave harbour. Or in my case even when I was in harbour...

Is this best covered here or in a new thread.

Cheers Terry.

PS I answered the questions posed without looking to see if this topic has been covered elsewhere on this forum. Will do what all newbies should and look through old posts.

Hey Terry,

I think the notion of a backup generator is of a temporary nature.  However, off the grid usually means

total independence from any power grid.  Whenever you're ready, go ahead and start a new topic.  I

believe you will be first one describing that type of lifestyle.  And living on a junk boat would be an icing

on the cake.  My favorite playground has always been in or near the water.  

Respectfully -- Jake 

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi, as a new member of the forum I hesitate to make such a long post but here is my ten-cents worth based on a steep and often expensive learning curve.

Good you stoped hesitating  :)  No reason for that. We want MORE people to post, and it DON'T need to be as good posts as yours, which is a candidate to the best post this year  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  

If we would have demand for such standard as minimum to post, then we would have very few posts   :)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 5