Best Electric Generator For Back-Up Power.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Yes Robert, you are correct with everything you stated.  I was just giving some ideas I had in the past.  It could still work in areas where there is no electric service at all and as you stated, the wireing runs would have to be short as posibable.  The batteries should be located as close to the place mot electric would be needed, the kitchen.   If for lighting, light gauge wire could be run if using LEDs.  Again, only if you have no electric available.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I'm just throwing out a thought here.

If there is a loss in power in the inverter's voltage step up phase, and if 12 volt appliances are not cost effective, would there be less loss using 24 volts of battery power stepped up to 110 volts and thus using common 110 volt appliances that can be brought from Canada or US. ? ?

(I googled and yes there are 24 -  110 volt inverters available on line).

robert k
Posted
Posted

Dave, you are absolutely correct, there are even 48V setups also.

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Hi Terry

to answer your questions this is the way I have set them up,it varies a little depending on the customers request.

Q 1- by using an automotive type battery charger=240volt a/c to 12 volt d/c charger amp output varies as per customer request but a 15amp charger seems around the mark.

Q 2- 3-5 kva gen set petrol powered like you I prefer honda power inverter preferred  but once again -customer option,as for fitment ,I create a cavity in the r/v body work externally  build a slide out shelf and a lockable panel fit the gen set and hard wire the set to the r/v with a removable plug socket so the gen can be removed for service and refuelling .It is law here that petrol or diesel cannot be used in confined spaces where people are living like in an r/v so the set must be outside the r/v.

Q 3- The fridges fitted to most r/vs here are 3 way lpg 12 volt and 240 volt they vary in size from about bar fridge size to 3/4 full fridge size.

Q 4- yes all batteries are charged off the engine when it is in operation such as driving,a one way diode is used  so the main engine battery cannot be discharged once the engine has stopped.

Q 5- I use 120amp hour deep cycle gel batteries [not wet batteries] so no fumes inside the r/v when charging.

Terry I hope that this info is helpful should you want more info feel free to contact me via this forum.

For me this forum is about learning and helping fellow members.

Cheers Mate

lyndon

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
the hot water produced from any excess energy I produced would not be wasted
Part of my personal plan to stay out of trouble is to limit the points of contact between myself and any utility entities, like electric company, water, cable or internet.
Well. I plan to reduce the contacts by settle far enough from others  :)   Water I will get from own well/spring.

But some hard/expensive to solve Ineternet without supplier   :)

Concerning electric, I use to much to solve it any good with "camping" type of solutions, but perhaps I will have some utencilities being driven by gas instead of electric. So I find it inconvinient/to expensive to try to produce a suiting amount minute by minute, that's why I want to have access to the public grid, so they solve the it - when it isn't brownout   :mocking:

Geting rather warm water is rather EASY to solve, if having space enough, just put a water tank in the sun   :)   so it would be rather waste to use electric surplus to that.  (The water can be a bit cold if want to shower early in the morning, but I want to sleep late anyway   :mocking:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
If there is a loss in power in the inverter's voltage step up phase, and if 12 volt appliances are not cost effective, would there be less loss using 24 volts of battery power stepped up to 110 volts and thus using common 110 volt appliances that can be brought from Canada or US. ? ?
I have no idea about inverter use losses.

but a reason to have higher voltage is lower voltage lose much more by LENGTH of cable.  (I don't remember why, but I remember I have learned that   :mocking:

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

My junk had a 24v system. I had a 12v to 220v inverter.

One reason was the extra grunt it gave when starting the main engine - a hefty Perkins turbo diesel. The other advantage is that it reduces wiring costs since smaller diameter cables could be used.

In haste

Terry

• Like 1

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

The r/vs I have set up are Mercedes benz long wheel base high roof  sprinters all 12volt .

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
My junk had a 24v system. I had a 12v to 220v inverter.

Darn I rushed and did not check before posting. I had a 24v to 220v inverter. Sorry for any confusion caused.

I guess virtually all private vehicles use 12v but I believe 24v is common on commercial and military vehicles.

To enlarge on my earlier posting I prefer 24 volt systems for a number of reasons.

1) Reliability. I nver had starting problems with the main engine even when the battery charge was low.

2) Robustness. In my experience 24v appliances are generally made for commercial users and are more robust than 12v appliances which are aimed at the leisure market. I equipped the junk with kit bought from outlets that supplied appliances for trucks or commercial fishing boats. These were rated for continuous use and often cost no more than flimsier but flashier 12v items targeting the leisure boat market. For example I bought four 24v fans designed to be used in truck cabs. These were run up to 12 hours a night for most of the year and were still going strong when I sold the junk three years later.

3) Cabling costs. Thinner wires reduce cabling costs. In essence one is using half the copper that would be required for 12v. By foregoing some of the cost savings the voltage drop can be reduced resulting in greater efficiency in devices such as incandescent light bulbs. (LED based lights were not generally available then.)

The only downside I can think of is that there is not such a wide range of 24v appliances. For example my VHF radiotelephone was 12v. The previous owner (HM armed forces HK) had solved this by tapping into the middle of a 24v battery bank. One of the first things I did was to rewire the radio through a solid state 24v to 12v converter.

Photovoltaic (PV) systems designed for homes seem to favour 48v, however these then feed through an inverter into 110v or 220v systems so the household appliances would be normal 110 /220v ac.

Cheers Terry

Terry

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Some very good information here but how much applies in the Philippines since we are very limited on choices of generators, inverters and batteries?