Best Electric Generator For Back-Up Power.

Americano
Posted
Posted

I never worry about my freezer since its usually full and can go all day and night without power.  The problem is no aircond and especially no electric fan. When there's a brown out in Carcar Gaisano is packed full of people trying to escape the heat. Some places even the local Filipinos can't stay in without a fan. When sweat is pouring out of someone they naturally look for a cooler place.

Every month or two there's a planed brown out for 10 to 12 hours during the day to do maintenance. During these planned brown outs we usually go to a beach, pool or waterfall. The biggest problem is when a brown out comes at night. Its very hard to sleep when you're sweating all night.

I have seen several gas and diesel generators for sale but haven't seen a propane fueled one yet, A propane fueled generator would be better. Recently I let my motorcycle sit to long without riding it so now I need to remove the carburetor and clean it.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Recently I let my motorcycle sit to long without riding it so now I need to remove the carburetor and clean it.
If you buy a suiting GENERATOR part, a handyman can make so you can use your motorbike to the generator, so you need to bother about one instead of two seldom used engines  :)
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Recently I let my motorcycle sit to long without riding it so now I need to remove the carburetor and clean it.
If you buy a suiting GENERATOR part, a handyman can make so you can use your motorbike to the generator, so you need to bother about one instead of two seldom used engines  :)

Are you sure a handy man could do that. Sounds more like a mechanical and electrical engineer to me.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
Are you sure a handy man could do that. Sounds more like a mechanical and electrical engineer to me.

Sorry, wrong word  :)   It would need some metal work including some welding so the generator can be connected to the motorbike chain.*       I suppouse a structure made of wood would be to weak.

*Easiest and cheapest (?) to build, but you would need to take off the rare motorbike wheel each time.  A construction, which don't need demounting of the wheel, I suppouse would cost much more, if not some suiting junk to build of are found.

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

most Filipino places not only do not have aircon but even when they have fans, they do not bother to switch them on. They are too noisy close by the bed in a boarding house. On the ceiling, if there a fan up there on the ceiling in a 500 peso a month boarding house, that is not so bad. Can sleep. Aircon is irelevant.  90 million Filipinos manage to get a night's sleep, without any aircon any day, every day without aircon. They go into the malls during brownouts, because it is a social event, not to keep cool.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Every month or two there's a planed brown out for 10 to 12 hours during the day to do maintenance.

The 12 hour planned maintenance blackouts that affect all of south Cebu island are generally done once a year and affect everything from Carcar south. That's what I was told anyway. They schedule them from 6am-6pm, we just had one a couple months ago, the previous was a year before. Our blackouts almost never last more than an hour, usually much less. If you're experiencing 10 to to 12 hr blackouts every month or 2 for maintenance I would talk to CEBECO. That would be one more reason not to live in Carcar.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

You would also need a fan for the aircooled engine, or a watercooled engine with fans or a powerful scooter where the engine was already fan cooled. I could build something probably a stand with rollers for the rear wheels a 200 amp diesel truck alternator rectified to 220 v and let the rear wheel drive the alternator with a custom large pulley, box fan with partial shroud to cool an aircooled engine. Personally I think it would be easier to buy a generator.

You could fit an extra capacity alternator to a car and use an inverter if you can get the car close to your home. If you use a permanent magnet alternator, be careful not to kill yourself. The permanent magnet alternator would save energy two ways, they spin easier and they don't have to generate an electromagnetic field before they can ever start making power. Powerful electromagnetic fields are power hogs. The more energy you need to generate, the stronger the field will need to be.

You can build almost anything if you have some junk and a machine shop but we are talking 3rd world and not beyond thunderdome, so you probably dont have to.

I thought of making permanent magnet alternators for multicabs to free up a few horsepower, as a hobby that might bring a little cash but decided against it with the whole customer electrocuting himself liability thing. 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

You would also need a fan for the aircooled engine, or a watercooled engine with fans or a powerful scooter where the engine was already fan cooled. I could build something probably a stand with rollers for the rear wheels a 200 amp diesel truck alternator rectified to 220 v and let the rear wheel drive the alternator with a custom large pulley, box fan with partial shroud to cool an aircooled engine. Personally I think it would be easier to buy a generator.

You could fit an extra capacity alternator to a car and use an inverter if you can get the car close to your home. If you use a permanent magnet alternator, be careful not to kill yourself. The permanent magnet alternator would save energy two ways, they spin easier and they don't have to generate an electromagnetic field before they can ever start making power. Powerful electromagnetic fields are power hogs. The more energy you need to generate, the stronger the field will need to be.

You can build almost anything if you have some junk and a machine shop but we are talking 3rd world and not beyond thunderdome, so you probably dont have to.

I thought of making permanent magnet alternators for multicabs to free up a few horsepower, as a hobby that might bring a little cash but decided against it with the whole customer electrocuting himself liability thing. 

Knowing Robert K's military background as a US Army grunt working on tracked and wheeled vehicles

that has a barrel that goes boom-boom, I'm sure him and his group are very inventive in modifying a

Humvee to power their beer coolers at some remote FOB base.  Jury rigging is the name of the game.

Respectfully -- Jake 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Actually Jake, back in the day, I just acquired someones unattended 5kw generator that was trailer mounted. I couldn't just leave it there unsecured now could I?

:rolleyes:

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2