The Filipina And English

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

This is for you long married guys. Have you found that after moving back to the Philippines your Asawa seems to loose the fluent English (or applicable language) she picked up? My wife is very fluent and was a federal employee, TSA agent in fact. And yes they do need to know more than "empty your pockets and take off your shoes" :mocking: . But now that she has moved back to the ole country after 20 years, I can just see the wheels turning when she is trying to express herself to me. (there are times when that is an advantage though).

Jake, I know this doesn't apply to you, you can understand your wife's scoldings in two languages and at least one dialect, you poor sod.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This is for you long married guys. Have you found that after moving back to the Philippines your Asawa seems to loose the fluent English (or applicable language) she picked up? My wife is very fluent and was a federal employee, TSA agent in fact. And yes they do need to know more than "empty your pockets and take off your shoes" :mocking: . But now that she has moved back to the ole country after 20 years, I can just see the wheels turning when she is trying to express herself to me. (there are times when that is an advantage though).

Jake, I know this doesn't apply to you, you can understand your wife's scoldings in two languages and at least one dialect, you poor sod.

:thumbsup:   en Huno percentocorrecto

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I long for the day my wife uses the wrong word in the wrong tense.  Then I can tease her about it!  See how she likes being on the receiving end!

Seriously though...I can't see it happening because most Filipinos who meet her think that her English is better than her Tagalog.  They'll say something like...oh, so you understand Tagalog?

It makes her laugh because her Tagalog vocabulary is as broad as anybody else's.  What she doesn't have is a "punto" or accent. 

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

You know Scott, besides Judy rapid firing those P words at me, it's her body language that will beat the

evil out of me.  One look at her flaring nostrils, my most safest distance would be at the next county.

Speaking of body language, I also like her expression of moaning ay yan na -- ay yan na.  Go ask your

wife what that means......he, he.

Good boy ako -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have been together now for almost 12 years. Her english continues to improve and I am starting to pick up her dialect (chavacano). We can have some pretty in depth conversations now. There is also a lot of nonverbal communication too.

Like Jake, I get the stuff in several languages (English, Tagalog, Chavacano and sometimes even Bisayan).  :thumbsup:  :cheersty:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Even though we've only been together a relatively short time compared to the time you guys have been with your ladies, I have noticed that SAO's English is decidedly more accented when she's in PI.  An effort to fit in at home?    When particularly riled at me I get it with both barrels in 4 languages in the same blasting that I can identify LOL!

Slightly off-topic but I've also found that a lot of Filipinos have a problem with the Aussie accent more so than the American. Had a conversation a few years ago that went something like this at the sari-sari nearest my ex's place in AC:

"Packet of Marlboro lights please"

"What??"

"Packet of Marlboro lights please"

"Whaaaat????"

(Slowed right down) "Packet of Marlboro lights please"

"What's your (insert at the time unknown word due to unfamiliar context)"

"Pardon?"

Look of extreme impatience from the vendor and in a tone normally delivered to a mental cripple "Whaaat is youuuur slaaaang?"

"Eh?"

"Whaaat is youuuur slaaaang?"

"Oh, my accent?"

"What??"

"I'm Auuussstraaaaalllliiaaaan"

"mutters something in tagalog that ended in Kano"

I conceded defeat and pointed at the smokes in question.  

It's more fun in the Philippines!

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

It's cuz you Aussies don't speak proper English mate! hehehe

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

My ex had extremely good english, but when she caught me carrying a pail of water or tying my shoes, it was "I be the one"!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

"I be the one"!

The one that gets me is "Later only" but later, never seems to come and when it does, it is normally too late and they are Closed or Out of stock now!  :unsure:  Bless them BUT! :rolleyes:

:tiphat:

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

"I be the one"!

The one that gets me is "Later only" but later, never seems to come and when it does, it is normally too late and they are Closed or Out of stock now!  :unsure:  Bless them BUT! :rolleyes:

:tiphat:

Me, I like when you ask some one about something and they say "soon" as in when will you arrive. Could mean an hour or five hours, so now when they ask me I just say soon and they seem to understand. :hystery:

• Like 1