The Filipina And English

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well. SOME realy try, but

1 (one) wrong letter, can make all the difference.  :morning1:   post-2148-0-67705000-1401928291_thumb.jp

Coffee anyone  :rolleyes:

:tiphat:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well. SOME realy try, but

Ooops seems I got a double entry, My bad Sorry.

Edited by Jack Peterson

crad
Posted
Posted

I'm generally forgiving of Filipinas, and their English. I konw that sometimes, they can make a mistake. Like once this Filipina introduced her foreigner boyfriend to me, as 'this is my fiance'.

I knew she meant 'my finance' really, but I didn't say anything.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I'm generally forgiving of Filipinas, and their English. I konw that sometimes, they can make a mistake.

Mistakes we can all, live with I am sure. :thumbsup:

My Wife has somehow Inherited, a saying from my mother (They never met, mores the pity) if words escape her when asking for things, she would say, and my wife says practacally, exactly the same,

" Just pass me, the doins, from the thingy, over there"

• Like 1

alsuave
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the Philippines, the assumption is you can speak more than one language. It is therefore okay to switch from one language to another in mid-sentence or mix words from different languages. Do that in the United States and they will stare at you. So you try to speak Standard American English. Go back to the Philippines and you revert back to your old habit of mixing languages. It's a form of pidgin similar to Louisiana Creole or Hawaiian Creole.

I disagree with this. I grew up in a trilingual household and I was taught not to mix languages. Pick a language and speak it properly. When you start mixing if makes you sound uncultured in all of them. That's how I was raised anyway.

Places like Miami annoy me to no end. Enough with the Spanglish. Speak either English or Spanish, but not both at the same time.

That being said, there are times when certain thoughts, feelings, or actions can more accurately be expressed in a particular language. Or maybe that's just me not knowing all my languages well enough.

Edited by alsuave
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Speak either English or Spanish, but not both at the same time.

I agree with your post on not mixing Languages, unfortunately there are dialects within a Language where it is just impossible, to separate a lot of what is said.  Visiya is one of them, LLaneto from Gibraltar is another, Both have a very strong remaining Spanish influence, Where you have an overriding Spanish influence sentences cannot, be completed in either English or Spanish, so we get the terrible mix that is sometimes just not understood.

I lived in Spain for over 15 years and although my Spanish is not Perfect, I have enough knowledge to Understand the locals here when they talk, as I guess, 30% of the Visayans dialect, is Spanish. Again, there are certain words that are just not translatable and so, they revert to English to finish that section of the sentence. very Few people here in Dumaguete speak TAGALOG and those that do, don't Bother. so why try when the person they are talking to don't Understand.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I disagree with this. I grew up in a trilingual household and I was taught not to mix languages. Pick a language and speak it properly. When you start mixing if makes you sound uncultured in all of them. That's how I was raised anyway

Someone I am married to echoes your sentiments.  The abuse of Taglish makes her cringe.  She hasn't gone so far as to say that it is uncultured though.  She just thinks it makes for sloppy thinking.  Allowing yourself to lapse into another language for convenience does not build discipline.

She also thinks disco music causes brain death.  I know she's kidding...or is she?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

In the Philippines, the assumption is you can speak more than one language. It is therefore okay to switch from one language to another in mid-sentence or mix words from different languages. Do that in the United States and they will stare at you. So you try to speak Standard American English. Go back to the Philippines and you revert back to your old habit of mixing languages. It's a form of pidgin similar to Louisiana Creole or Hawaiian Creole.

I disagree with this. I grew up in a trilingual household and I was taught not to mix languages. Pick a language and speak it properly. When you start mixing if makes you sound uncultured in all of them. That's how I was raised anyway.

Places like Miami annoy me to no end. Enough with the Spanglish. Speak either English or Spanish, but not both at the same time.

Well.

/Liking/disliking mixing languages is one thing

/it's an OTHER thing it's a FACT  :)  it's like JJReyes said.

very Few people here in Dumaguete speak TAGALOG
Well. It's a difference between

/can't

/or don't want to   :)

Many Visayans are GRUMPY, because of Tagalog got "Filipino" status, being the official language together with English, but NOT Visaya/Cebuano, although that's almost as big as Tagalog as the LOCAL language. So many Visayans son't want to Tagalog, although they can speak it good...

---

Yesterday my gf and I agreed to (if we marry, which isn't sure yet) concerning kids:

/she will talk Cebuano with them

/while I will talk English with them

except for some things we will use same words (as e g "lolo"  *.)

Some more complicated how to do, when we talk together, but I suppouse I will not be good enough in Cebuano, so we will have to speak English then.

*Cebuano, English and I believe Tagalog too, are  very bad at one explaining one thing - family relations - in a simple way. E g "great grandfather" mean four DIFFERENT people, and to explain what's the relation, it has to be told long:

English: "Father at the father's side at my mother's side"

Swedish: Morfars far     :dance:

Cebuano:  Similar as English, but I have forgot how to say it.

Filipins make it even worse by calling "everyone" cousin, uncle and such   :)

During conversion with a Filipina:

-Who is that grey haired old woman? I asked.

-That's my grandmother.

-What??? You have allready told me two OTHERS are your grandmothers. How can you have a third???

-This is grandmother to my ex husband.

:hystery:

• Like 1

alsuave
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well.

/Liking/disliking mixing languages is one thing

/it's an OTHER thing it's a FACT :)

I don't dispute the fact that it happens. However, I think it's lazy, it sounds bad, and it cheapens both languages. Edited by alsuave

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

To Alsuave, MacBubba and those language purists:  You've obviously never seen a highly educated, multi-lingual Filipina in full flight at the height of her anger trying to get her point across to you the English only speaker.  Yep in a perfect world what you're saying is probably correct but in normal society but I dare you to confront SAO (degree in English and a post-grad in economics ie maths is her bread and butter) and tell her that tag/cebuan/ish makes her a lesser person. It's all about perspective.  Ivory towers have nothing to do with it.  

• Like 1