The Filipina And English

Markham
Posted
Posted

If a foreigner who is an English speaker goes to a doctor, lawyer or dentist he or she will not need a translator. Eve if you go to court the court session is held in English. If you cannot speak English then your words or testimony will be translated into English for the Court and for everyone in attendance to hear and for the official record. I make this statement after sitting in court through several court cases. If anyone has a different experience please state your experience here.

your experience shows that even though English is supposed to be the language of the law in the Philippines, it obviously isn't if a foreigner needs his testimony translated in court. May I ask if a foreigner was involved in the cases you mention. Because I have a friend who is a prosecutor in Manila and she says she has never been at any court where whether Tagalog was not spoken in court at some point in the session. Witnesses almost never give evidence in English, but in Manila, they give evidence in Tagalog. How could anybody expect a Filipino taxi driver to give evidence in English, if they are required to give evidence in a trial. Just sometimes, she told me, they have a witness whose Tagalog is so bad, that they give evidence in their native dialect, whatever it is, and a translator is provided.

Whippy, Americano is quite correct. English is the official language of the Law and is the lingua franca of the Courts. For example, there have been numerous hearings over the last 3 years in the "Ellah Joy Pique" murder case and each and every one was conducted in English. Witnesses were examined and cross-examined in English and where necessary, their answers were translated into English. Furthermore, all  court records are in English.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Removed a couple off topics.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Removed a couple off topics.

Seems someone,  may have used the back Door ???  :unsure:  post-2148-0-50396300-1402362034.jpg

at least 3(Three) of us seem to think so :rolleyes:

:tiphat:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

OK, everyone is entitled to an opinion and if a member is not breaking the rules then all should allow that member to have his/her say and respect the fact of that's how forums are and we are all adults so from now on if anyone posts then stick to the topic and we are not going to start another which hunt on who is who.

And further more I think this topic has ran its course and will close it now.

:1 (103):

• Like 1