Requesting New Tourist Visa, How To?

Jake
Posted
Posted

You may not even be able to board the plane in the US without an outbound ticket from the RP, the government holds the airlines responsible and the airlines cover their behinds. American Airlines certainly checked my itinerary to make sure I had an outbound flight 6 months ago and they were not even the carrier taking me out of the US, just the first leg to Los Angeles where China Air was carrying me to the RP. I landed in Manila and extended at airport imigration as soon as I arrived since I was going to a remote area where the carabao would do a doubletake when they saw me. :)

As SubicSteve also mentioned: P.S.  You do have an outbound ticket don't you, otherwise you won't be arriving on Tuesday. 

The airline carrier has the ultimate responsibility and final enforcement before you get on that plane bound for PI.  Otherwise,

the same airline will be responsible to fly you back to the states on their dime, if you were not allowed entry. 

Of course you will hear stories that upon arrival, some visitors or expats will be allowed entry without an outbound ticket.  If you

have a round trip ticket, then you're good to go.  It all depends on the immigration officer or in some cases, how deep is your

pocket.....he, he.

In all cases, put on your best behavior and smile, smile, smile.......

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

sooooo..... they are going to refuse my entry becuase of no outbound?

You will almost certainly be refused to board your outbound flight if you don't have a valid ticket to leave the Philippines. The Bureau of Immigration levies huge fines against airlines who carry such passengers.
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Go to something cheap like tiger air and buy the cheapest ticket you can find (Singapore, Hong Kong, whatever).  I had to show my exit ticket before they would give me a boarding pass in the US.  You just buy a super cheap ticket and throw it away.   I have heard of people buying a refundable ticket and cashing it in - but I have never bothered.

The airline told me that immigration will fine the airline if they let us in without an exit ticket.  I never checked on the validity of that... but I make sure and have a disposable ticket ha ha  :tiphat:

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
You will almost certainly be refused to board your outbound flight if you don't have a valid ticket to leave the Philippines. The Bureau of Immigration levies huge fines against airlines who carry such passengers.

In my experience you wiil not be able to check-in. A couple of years ago I had a round trip e-ticket Beijing-Manila-Beijing booked with Cebu Pacific. To every other destination I have flown to from Beijing an e-ticket is just that - no paper required since the flight booking is linked to your passport number.

So I gave them my passport and the gate agent pulled up my booking. Then he asked me for my onward ticket.

The conversation then went along the lines of:

NSOCH "But I have a round trip booked."

GA "I need to see your onward ticket."

NSOCH "But isn't it [my booking] in your system?"

GA "I must see your onward ticket."

NSOCH "But you can see my e-ticket. It must be in your computer system."

GA "Sorry sir but without an onward ticket I can't let you board."

NSOCH Long pause. Pulls laptop out of bag, wakes it up, finds booking confirmation.

NSOCH "Here's my onward ticket."

GA Long pause. "Just a moment sir."

GA Calls his supervisor. Long conversation in Chinese.

Supervisor "Have a nice flight sir.."

NSOCH "Phewww."

Now I always take a hard copy with me.

Cheers Terry

• Like 2

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

99.9% of the time you will be asked to show your outbound ticket out of the Philippines when you check in for your flight TO the Philippines.  If you don't have it, they won't let you board and fly to the Philippines.

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

it is much likelier that you will be not be allowed to board the plane without an onward ticket than get hassled at customs upon arrival, IF they allow you on the plane (which they very likely won't).

the Philippines is not being spoilsports here, every other country in the world I know of, also insists on tourists having onward tickets, the United States included, although with some exceptions (I don't think Canadians need onward tickets for the USA, but I as a Brit definitely do). You had better look, right now, for a cheap Cebu Pacific onward ticket to an overseas destination, with Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur/Kota Kinabalu being the likeliest for a cheap flight. It doesn't have to within the period of your 30-day arrival stamp. It could be six months from now.

Jake
Posted
Posted

In my experience you wiil not be able to check-in. A couple of years ago I had a round trip e-ticket Beijing-Manila-Beijing booked with Cebu Pacific. To every other destination I have flown to from Beijing an e-ticket is just that - no paper required since the flight booking is linked to your passport number.

So I gave them my passport and the gate agent pulled up my booking. Then he asked me for my onward ticket (and then the hassles begin......)

Now I always take a hard copy with me.

Cheers Terry

Hey Terry,

This is boots on the ground experience when travelling in that region with language and cultural issues making your

conversation with the immigration officer more difficult.  This topic has been previously discussed but it wouldn't hurt

to mention it again, especially for new travellers.

It is strongly recommend to bring hard copies of all the advance ticketing with itinerary, car rentals, hotel and tour

packages.  Often times, they will ask you to produce your credit card to match all those purchased documents.

These days, modern technology has all the data associated with your passport.  But when you get to your final

destination of a very remote and exotic beach resort, your name is not on their computer.  Possibly caused by

constant brownouts or the internet signal is weak. 

But you pull out your credit card copy of the confirmed reservation and saved the day.  They may compliment you

and your lovely GF free rounds of pina coladas or margarita for the trouble they have caused you.

Thank you Terry for your insights in travelling in that region.

Life is good, if you plan ahead........ 

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

You can buy a full fare ticket to a nearby place, and cash it in upon arrival in RP, or so I hear.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Air Asia is now flying K.L - Cebu direct, promo price was $29 AUS. You can book an A,A flight Cebu to Kota Kinabula $25 or Cebu to Miric $19 Aus. I was refused boarding at Singapore Airport without on outward ticket from the Phils, was never asked for the ticket by customs or immigration at Cebu Airport and that was in January this year, my daughter same same April 2014

robert k
Posted
Posted

I was not asked for my exiting ticket on arrival in the Philippines either, probably because it would be a waste of time because the airlines have had it drummed into them that you can't board to go to the Philippines without the outbound ticket. I'm not saying you couldn't get away without an onward ticket if you paid $3,500 for a 1 way to the Philippines, but if you are flying anything less than business class, I think they will ask before you board. I would have a throw away ticket, if not a R/T with a distant return date, as far out as the airlines will allow. You never know, that ticket may come in handy so even my throwaway is going to be for a date as far in the future as I can manage. If you are in and out of the country, It might be good for 6 months of multiple entries. :)

• Like 1