Requesting New Tourist Visa, How To?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
every other country in the world I know of, also insists on tourists having onward tickets,

I realize that many countries require it but 'every other country'?  For example, have you ever been asked for an exit ticket when boarding a flight to Hong Kong?  I have flown there many times and never been asked for an exit ticket, neither by the airlines nor by the immigration.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Im arriving in Tuesday and heading to Olongapo. Where is the closest location where I can apply for a tourist visa.

no I do not have an outbound ticket. however when I purchased my ticket it said that I will arrive two days later. I leave tomorrow.

sooooo..... they are going to refuse my entry becuase of no outbound?

OK  06, are you here? Did they let you board? What happened?

I guess a lot of us here, may be in suspense   :unsure:

Come, my friend, tell us the story!   :rolleyes:

:tiphat:

• Like 3

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

every other country in the world I know of, also insists on tourists having onward tickets,

I realize that many countries require it but 'every other country'?  For example, have you ever been asked for an exit ticket when boarding a flight to Hong Kong?  I have flown there many times and never been asked for an exit ticket, neither by the airlines nor by the immigration.

but were you flying there on a one way ticket, or with a return ticket which they knew you had without them needing to ask you?

for example I flew into the Philippines in 2006 from Bangkok with Kuwait Airlines, and out again to Malaysia with Air Asia. However, Kuwait did not know about my existing arrangement with Air Asia and wanted to see the onward ticket (which I had anticipated they would, and had already printed out, for them to see). They, Kuwait, only asked me because my onward ticket was with a different airline. Had I had a return ticket to Bangkok with Kuwait they would not have needed to ask me anything as they would have known already I had an onward ticket.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
but were you flying there on a one way ticket, or with a return ticket which they knew you had without them needing to ask you?

My experience, in Hong Kong, is that I always had an exit ticket.  But it was usually on some discount airline not related to the one I came in on (like Cebu Pacific or a now defunct airline whose name I have forgotten.

This I ask for your experience as the 'may' have known that I had an exit ticket but they would have had to be more sophisticated than I give them credit for.

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

My experience, in Hong Kong, is that I always had an exit ticket.  But it was usually on some discount airline not related to the one I came in on (like Cebu Pacific or a now defunct airline whose name I have forgotten..

This I ask for your experience as the 'may' have known that I had an exit ticket but they would have had to be more sophisticated than I give them credit for.

I imagine that now-defunct airline would be Oasis Hong Kong, they had cheapie flights into HK from both the UK (Gatwick) and Canada (Vancouver) before they went bust. I never got the chance to use them.

on travel forums people that are flying into Hong Kong with a 'proper' airline and then on again with Cebu Pacific almost always say they are asked at wherever they checked in to see on onward ticket. I have always been asked, each of the 3 times that I did not have a onward or return ticket with the same airline.

at Heathrow last year I was even quizzed by a junior check in staff that my return ticket was not within the 30 day timeframe and they called a supervisor. I was spooked for about 20 seconds, before I talked my way out of it. They are just pretty strict, about the onward ticket requirement and they are not getting any less strict.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Never been asked by Singapore Airlines in Singapore; I have however been asked by Qantas on their direct Syd-Man service. I err on the side of caution and carry it anyway. Just as an aside, I've never been asked on arrival in Manila.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Never been asked by Singapore Airlines in Singapore; I have however been asked by Qantas on their direct Syd-Man service. I err on the side of caution and carry it anyway. Just as an aside, I've never been asked on arrival in Manila.

Same for me Brett, I always thought it was my honest face. Never been asked to the ticket, mine you I have tons of stamps in my passport.....lol....maybe it is not my honest face :)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

When I traveled with a full itinerary, I mean one travel agent, round trip.  They never asked for my return because it was in the computer system already for them to see.  But when I come with a one way, and a disposable ticket - they ask.  Because the Tiger Air ticket does not show up in their computer.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When I traveled with a full itinerary, I mean one travel agent, round trip. 

I think that about says it all. Call it what ever you like, the more open we are about our travel, the less problems we have. With the BOI being as strict as they are just now, anything that is not 100% apparent at the point of departure is going to be Questioned. 

:tiphat:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

This I ask for your experience as the 'may' have known that I had an exit ticket but they would have had to be more

sophisticated than I give them credit for.

Hey guys,

The above quotation is from Dave's post 24.  I have merged it to enforce Brett's statement I err on the side of caution.

In this modern day technology, do you really trust the computer system?  As Dave puts it -- the airline agents and their

terminals would have to be more sophisticated than I give them credit for.

You travelled thousands of miles for the last 20 hours or so -- you need a shower, a beer, a companion and a bed to

sleep for the next 36 hours.  You approach the immigration counter, smiling at the pretty agent.  She studies your pass-

port and said -- sorry sir, your data is not in stock sir. Does your smile go away?  No....you pull out the hard copies of

your credit card travel documents, including your round trip or outbound ticket to Singapore.  The pretty agent goes to

her supervisor and she comes back smiling, stamping your passport -- welcome to the Philippines.  

Life shouldn't be that hard, if you plan ahead and cover all the contingencies........

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 3