Woken Up At 2Am By Massive Bass

davewe
Posted
Posted

It's now 2.37am and I've been awake half an hour after a nearby bar increased the bass and volume on their sound systems. It's beyond a joke. I usually go to bed before 11pm and it woke me up last Friday night as well.

I'd really like to hear suggestions except "it's useless, noise problems never get solved in the Philippines".

Respectfully, I've ALREADY heard that too much and it's absolutely useless advice. Any other suggestions are welcome.

It's in Alona beach area of Panglao, Bohol.

It's now 2.37am and I've been awake half an hour after a nearby bar increased the bass and volume on their sound systems. It's beyond a joke. I usually go to bed before 11pm and it woke me up last Friday night as well.

I'd really like to hear suggestions except "it's useless, noise problems never get solved in the Philippines".

Respectfully, I've ALREADY heard that too much and it's absolutely useless advice. Any other suggestions are welcome.

It's in Alona beach area of Panglao, Bohol.

Sorry, but it's Alona Beach. It's party central. Dealing with a bar on Alona Beach is not the same thing as having loud Filipino neighbors. You can certainly try asking but...

We were there a month or two ago and one of the advantages of renting a place a few blocks away was we weren't bothered by the noise or other beach distractions. But then again I am old and this is always my strategy. When I was in Boracay I made sure I got a place pretty far from the main activity for the same reason.

Good luck. Don't know if you are there with a girl but when I was younger there were advantages to getting awakened late at night :) Now that I think of it, it hasn't much changed in my old age. So you could learn to move to the bass beat lol

Sorry for teasing you. Ultimately, I'd trade places with you in a heartbeat - I like Alona.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Good luck. Don't know if you are there with a girl but when I was younger there were advantages to getting awakened late at night Now that I think of it, it hasn't much changed in my old age. So you could learn to move to the bass beat lol

Very good point  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

sandwichmaker,

When I read your title, "Woken Up At 2Am By Massive Bass"  I thought you were night fishing when you fell asleep and suddenly caught a very big Bass Fish. Bass is one of my favorite fish to eat in Alabama.

When my wife and I moved into our current apartment in November of last year there was an old building near us that looked like a Ghost House with grass, bushes, and vines grown up all around it so we didn't pay much attention to it when we decided to rent the apartment.  After a few months the church owners returned with a very loud sound system. Some days the preacher would arrive at 5:00AM to begin practicing his singing, drum beating and preaching. It would only be one or two other people there with him but he always had the sound system at full volume with no doors on the front of the church and the speakers aimed towards us about 50 meters away. We stay up late each night and sleep late each morning so this was very unacceptable to us. We allowed this to go on for a few weeks to see if it would improve but nothing changed.  She even told our Landlord so he could complain to the church owners but evidently he was a coward and said nothing. One morning he woke us up very early with his very loud noise. I was completely feed up with this excessive noise so I told my wife I will go over there and cut off his damned head and she knew I was serious so she walked over there with flames coming out of her eyes and told them what we thought about their very loud noises very early in the morning. We haven't had any more problems from them so don't tell me that nothing can be done. Even a Filipino can learn how to operate a volume control.

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Me too Americano,  no bass in Fil eh?  Here they imported an Asian carp, it got loss in La or Ms and has gone up the Mississippi into the Ill river.  The authorities are afraid it will get into  Lake Michigan. It is attracted to  noise an will make prodigious leaps sometimes knocking out boaters and landing in boats.  So while the bass in the Philippines keep you awake the carp in the US will put you to sleep.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

just around christmas time i could feel the vibration through the walls from the t----ts next door welcome to the world all over

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

If you don't complain, the problem won't get resolved. Start by talking with the owner using a very low voice. He will think his hearing is already being affected by the loud music. Next. Talk to someone in authority. Anyone will do. Just pump up his ego by explaining you decided to ask for his help because he is someone important. He will at least tell the establishment's owner, "The Kano is asking for you to lower the volume." If nothing happens, at least you tried. 

If you are game, visit the bar during nighttime and start sprinkling holy water. When asked, explain you are trying to exorcise demons from the loud music. They will lower the volume because Filipinos are afraid of demons and foreigners who exhibit erratic behavior.

Finding a solution might as well be fun. Better than keeping things that bother you bottled up.

JJ you are the man!!!! 

Sandwichmaker, I empathize with you, but take it from someone who took matters into his own hands and marched nextdoor and pulled the plug! It is not a good idea, no matter your age here in the Philippines.

I think the best suggestion I heard was getting a Filipina, one who is respected in the community to walk in and have a word with the owner or manager....., I know this might not help much and I am sure you wish there was an easy solution but I fear, you will be waiting a very long time for a better solution.

I hope you find a solution and enjoy your stay.

Papa Carl

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I LIKE loud bass - but only when I want to be awake...   :lol:

If you are game, visit the bar during nighttime and start sprinkling holy water. When asked, explain you are trying to exorcise demons from the loud music. They will lower the volume because Filipinos are afraid of demons and foreigners who exhibit erratic behavior.
  I have started to make them scared of quarell with me by saying I have some wak-wak friends   :hystery:

(But IF there are any "wak-wak" activity where the scared ones are, then it's almost allways souls from dead in their OWN family anyway, being there to keep an eye on them   :dance:   and protect them if needed, so nothing to be scared of - if they didn't treat that family member very bad   :mocking:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Here's a funny story on this subject. A few days ago the church very near us was making loud noise very early in the morning again, 4:30AM to be axact. Looking out our bedroom window, my wife said, " I will cut those wires tonight."  There were 2 power wires coming from the church building to the power pole in our yard. Being a mountain girl from Mindanao I knew she could climb the pole and she was serious, so the next morning I took a good look at the wires and noticed that the wires coming to our pole was supplying power to us and our entire apartment building. The church was receiving power from the other side of their building. When I told her that if she cuts those wires she will be cutting off our power. Both of us got a good laugh out of it.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Here's a funny story on this subject. A few days ago the church very near us was making loud noise very early in the morning again, 4:30AM to be axact. Looking out our bedroom window, my wife said, " I will cut those wires tonight."  There were 2 power wires coming from the church building to the power pole in our yard. Being a mountain girl from Mindanao I knew she could climb the pole and she was serious, so the next morning I took a good look at the wires and noticed that the wires coming to our pole was supplying power to us and our entire apartment building. The church was receiving power from the other side of their building. When I told her that if she cuts those wires she will be cutting off our power. Both of us got a good laugh out of it.

Do you have an ISSOLATED cable cutter?

Not fun if you would be out of power AND your wife being fried   :)

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
JJ you are the man!!!! 

Thanks Papa Carl. When there is a problem, I try not to complain about it. The preference is to find a solution. If it does not work, at least you tried and feel better about it.

• Like 1