Percentage Of Car Ownership In The Philippines

Thomas
Posted
Posted
There are an awful lot of people who ride from the small villages and farms for church on Sundays.
Well. In many rural places they WALK even kilometers daily to school. 

(Similar to how it was in Sweden 70 years ago.)

crad
Posted
Posted

My apologies. I didn't realize you are only speaking of cars - no private jeepneys, vans, pickups, or motorcycle. Just cars.

entire islands do not have any form of public transport at all, except motorbikes. Like the Camotes, which has nearly 100,000 inhabitants. Very few cars, probably less than 100. Maybe even less than 50. There are also not even hardly any trikes. Only motorbikes. And no jeepneys or vans either, except a very few that are there to serve the tourists on resorts and for ferrying agricultural workers about. They are not for public transport like jeepneys and v-hires are in cities.

those figures I quote about vehicle ownership per capita are for all non two-wheeled vehicles including vans, buses and jeepneys, not just cars, but the rate of car ownership in the Philippines is not going up. Although there are more cars in the Philippines than than there were 10 years ago, that does does not mean that the actual rate of car ownership is going up. That figure of 30 per 1000 is pretty much the exact same as it was when I first looked at the figures maybe eight years ago whereas the Thai figure per 1000 has shot up 25% from 165 per thousand to over 200 per thousand in that time. As usual it is all down to the high Filipine birth rate, so even though the absolute number of cars in the Philippines is increasing, the number of people is increasing the same or more, so the rate of car ownership per capita is not moving. Whereas with the Thais, who have got their birth rate down to not much more than half that of the Philippines, their car ownership rate is increasing quickly.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I took a look to see where you got your numbers from. I take it you are using World Bank? They are pretty well word for word in your explanation. They also give 30 vehicles per 1000 people. 2010 figures. Now if you looked at NationMaster (who get their numbers from the UN), they show 31 vehicles per 1000m people. 1997 numbers. I'm sure the economy has gotten a bit better since then... So what does the UN say? Hmmm... 2012 numbers. 31 cars per 1000 / 42 vehicles per 1000 - excluding 2 wheel vehicles. And, yes, many of each group of 1000 is made up of kids too young to have the money to pay for a car. Why would they when public transportation is so cheap?

• Like 2

crad
Posted
Posted

it is all to do with demographics, Malaysia used to be even more miles ahead of Thailand, whose car ownership rate has shot up at the same time their birth rate has fallen. Malaysia and the Philippines do not do as well, because their birth rates are still quite high.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

:unsure: mmm All very interesting. I sit here on a Sunday morning :morning1: coffee in hand, wondering, what  the Asian % of car ownership ( which can be manipulated, to ones own interpretation of facts and Agenda) or Air Conditioning, has to do with "Wearing a crash helmet in Bohol" come on people, we are a long way Off Topic here.

:tiphat:

Well. If more people can go by car, less people need to go by motorbike. Not even "safety freaky" Sweden demand helmet when go by car   :lol:

crad
Posted
Posted

I took a look to see where you got your numbers from. I take it you are using World Bank? They are pretty well word for word in your explanation. They also give 30 vehicles per 1000 people. 2010 figures. Now if you looked at NationMaster (who get their numbers from the UN), they show 31 vehicles per 1000m people. 1997 numbers. I'm sure the economy has gotten a bit better since then...

this is what you seem to have trouble understanding. So what if the economy has got bigger when the population has risen as well. There are 20 million more Filipinos now than there were 20 years ago.  It seems the per capita rate of car ownership is the same now in the mid 2010s as it was in the mid 1990s. There are more cars than before, true. Anybody that was coming to the Philippines 15 years ago would agree with that. There are more cars now. Maybe there is 20% more cars now than there were in 1997, which sounds like a lot. But if there are 20% more people as well, then that the rate of car ownership will be unchanged, and Juan and Jen up the mountain will still have to wait until they are 20 years old before they ever get to see the inside of one if they are lucky and get off the mountain and into the ghettoes in town to get a job or go to college.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I'm sure the economy has gotten a bit better since then

The economy "getting better" applies to statistics, it has little or no effect on the life of the typical Filipino. A lot of money goes in a very few pockets. A hundred years from now the great grandchildren of the same people who don't have cars now will probably be in the same situation - riding beat up, hand me down motorbikes. 

• Like 2

crad
Posted
Posted

The site that was referenced only lists the registered vehicles for the country. Several other sites have suggested that unregistered cars may raise this to almost 5 out of 10. Include other private forms of transportation and the number sits at 7.5 without unregistered vehicles.

care to explain why car ownership in Thailand is over 200 per thousand, when in the Philippines it is 30? Is it only in the Philippines where it is not totally unknown for people drive unregistered vehicles? Why is the Thai figure so high, and increasing whereas the Philippines figure is low, and staying the same?

Why would they when public transportation is so cheap?

it is only cheap if you are a rich foreigner like us. A jeepney ride is 8 pesos which does not sound much does it. However it is a fifth of the 39 pesos an hour workers in Jollibee get paid. And a job in Jollibee is very well paid and highly sought after. Most people in those kind of jobs in the Philippiones, like waitress in a carinderia, get paid a lot less than the 39 pesos an hour people get paid in Jollibee. More like 20 or 25 pesos an hour. And that is if they have a job at all. If you are being paid 25 pesos an hour, then that means a jeepney ride of 8 pesos represents like 3 US dollars for a short ride in the time it takes you to earn the money (i.e. about 20 minutes work) at minimum wage type level. 8 pesos might be cheap to you. But it is not cheap if you are the Siomai girl at the stall on Mango Square.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

To put this in perspective the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) tried to push through a jeepney fare rate increase from p8 to p10 (about 5 cents) and there was so much protest they backed down. They just approved an increase from 8 to 8.5 (about a penny) and a 10 centavo (1/5th of a penny?) for every succeeding km. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

To me, you can use all the %'s and Statistics gleaned anywhere about this and still go round in circles. The fact of the  matter is, against the cost of Buying and running your own vehicle, the Public Transport system here is cheap.

:tiphat:

• Like 1