Percentage Of Car Ownership In The Philippines

jon1
Posted
Posted
Yes, some of them are stored and sold in Cebu city. But I think the price need to be extra low if being a repo, because many Filipins don't never change oil even when the cars don't become repo  - except many has to refill oil by the motors are leaking oil  

This is quite true. It seems to me that most hold onto the vehicles for 4 years then sell them. During that time no preventative maintenance is done and you can expect to replace/replenish all fluids, filters, lube points, belts, tires, chassis tightening and possibly the battery. 

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes, some of them are stored and sold in Cebu city. But I think the price need to be extra low if being a repo, because many Filipins don't never change oil even when the cars don't become repo  - except many has to refill oil by the motors are leaking oil  

This is quite true. It seems to me that most hold onto the vehicles for 4 years then sell them. During that time no preventative maintenance is done and you can expect to replace/replenish all fluids, filters, lube points, belts, tires, chassis tightening and possibly the battery. 

Well. If the engine don't get new oil during long time, you can need to replace the ENGINE...

As someone said in an other topic, if a car sell ad put "new oil" as a sell argument, then that's a WARNING SIGN   :)    because then they have never changed it during all the years they have had the car...  :1 (103):

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

As usual with foreigner forums, a lot of stereotypes and generalizations. The few I know that own cars take pretty good care of them because they understand how expensive they are to repair, a lot more then replacing a litre of oil. They're really not all that stupid. The people I bought my vehicle from had all maintenance, even oil changes, done at the Nissan dealership in Cebu City and all the work was logged in the maintenance book so they could prove all required work was done. It took a while to find but they're out there.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The few I know that own cars take pretty good care of them because they understand how expensive they are to repair, a lot more then replacing a litre of oil. They're really not all that stupid.
I know. I know several clever Pinoys.  

But still - many cars are NOT maintained proper. If it wouldn't common, wouldn't rather many of the sell adds say "new oil", because then it would be obvious...

jon1
Posted
Posted

As usual with foreigner forums, a lot of stereotypes and generalizations. The few I know that own cars take pretty good care of them because they understand how expensive they are to repair, a lot more then replacing a litre of oil. They're really not all that stupid. The people I bought my vehicle from had all maintenance, even oil changes, done at the Nissan dealership in Cebu City and all the work was logged in the maintenance book so they could prove all required work was done. It took a while to find but they're out there.

I am not saying they were stupid, I am saying that they were cheap and didn't properly maintain their vehicles. I have bought 2 used trucks in the last 7 years. Both had all lube points dry as a bone, sludge in the engine (I flushed out) and everything was not maintained correctly. The owners that I bought from were Chinoy. The vehicles were both diesel and once I had everything taken care of have been rock solid since.