Raining Season, What Do You Do?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I've never visited during the wet season. Just how bad is the weather? I know its not constantly raining and it is still hot. Is it difficult to get around? Do you guys stay home for the most part? What do you do?

My wife has never clearly described this to me. Because our children can't take time off from school we must visit during the July through August summer break.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I still wanted to go places, my Philippino hosts wanted to stay home for some reason. One time I wanted to go to Pinamalayan and I was told no, it's raining there. I checked the weather on my phone and it was barely enough to get the street wet. If it were coming down like a cow peeing on a flat rock, it might be a good day to go to the mall, museum. catch a movie, or stay home. :)

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've never visited during the wet season. Just how bad is the weather? I know its not constantly raining and it is still hot. Is it difficult to get around? Do you guys stay home for the most part? What do you do?

My wife has never clearly described this to me. Because our children can't take time off from school we must visit during the July through August summer break.

Is it difficult to get around?

Boy, you guys know how to get my blood boiling about driving through heavy rain, which is sometimes horizontal.  

One of Judy's cousin taught me most of the short cuts through Metro Manila, including going through a cemetery

and private subdivisions, by bribing the guards.  Hey, what can I say -- when in Rome........   

The problem becomes a migraine nightmare when the rest of the Filipino drivers took those same shortcuts during

a flood condition and guess what, those routes were also gridlocked.  The only movement is this enterprising young  

kid, wading ankle deep in brown water and hawking cigarettes and Stork candy.  By the way, you can slip an extra

100 pesos and he will come back with some cold San Magoo.....he, he.  Hey, what can I say -- when in Manila.......

At the beginning of the hot season (late FEB), public schools let out these millions of kids for their school vacation.

Early JUNE, I believe when classes start again -- perfect timing for the start of the rainy season.  You can imagine

these poor students wading in brown water because the school bus, tricycle, jeepney and family car -- all stuck in

severe and massive traffic jams.    

Best bet is to stock up on provisions (beer) and ride the storm out.  You can kick back in your darken room (due to

brownouts) as thousands of mosquitos recognize you as fresh meat.  

Es mo pun in da Philippines..... 

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

That's what I'm talking about Jake!

The flood water may only be ankle deep but the bacteria and worse is what worry's me especially having children. 

Do a lot of Filipinos just bunker down for a few months do you think Robert?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

It rained a lot in Subic last year and Olongapo City had a big flood.  However, within the freeport there were no major problems and we just went about our business.  Of course, you have to cut back on outdoor activities.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

It may be that the average Filipino has a different perspective than mine and on rainy days it's not worth the effort, if there is not some place you have to be. I would skip my daily 2 mile walk to the river if it were raining lightly, because I went yesterday and hopefully I will walk it tomorrow but frankly if it's not coming down hard, I would have thought they would jump at the chance to do some shopping, have lunch in a resteraunt and grab an icecream. Then too, I like rain and have been living in an area that has been drought afflicted for the last 10 years. Maybe I am just the crazy incomprehensible Kano! :)

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is what the step-daughter-to-be does:  

Apologies to those with slow connections.

bb66fa6262ffe791f49cd46f987724c6aa26e77b5a883d71c2ce56909682bdc5.mp4

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I actually prefer going on long trips on the national high way when there is light rain because there will be very little traffic. For some strange reason most Filipinos are very afraid to let rain drops hit them. They can take a shower but are afraid of rain drops which doesn't make any logical sense.

Brett,

Thanks for the video. If you look closely you will notice that she is wishing her hair with water from the bucket. There's a lot of rain water coming down too but I'm sure a Filipino is afraid to wash with it. Some will even try to cover their head with their cell phone to keep the rain from hitting their head.

During the rainy season you can still do almost anything you like, just choose the best days for the beach or pool.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The main problem with rain is it makes driving even more hazardous. Take a look at some of the tires on these vehicles, especially taxis, buses and construction trucks.

• Like 2