Raining Season, What Do You Do?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
Drink beer. It has no medicinal benefits, but you will feel better while waiting for the rainy season to end.

Start drinking gin and tonics too - there's quinine is most good quality tonic water but not the extent there was historically, it helps stave off malaria.  There's a reason in days of Empire (as early as the 1700s), the Poms used to issue all their soldiers serving in tropical regions G and T rather than rum.  To make up for the lesser amount of quinine these days, drink more!  :cheersty:

Mine with Bombay Sapphire and lime please!

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the video. If you look closely you will notice that she is wishing her hair with water from the bucket. There's a lot of rain water coming down too but I'm sure a Filipino is afraid to wash with it. Some will even try to cover their head with their cell phone to keep the rain from hitting their head.

LOL nah mate, that's rain water in the bucket.  Our girl is a pragmatic one  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

The main problem with rain is it makes driving even more hazardous. Take a look at some of the tires on these vehicles, especially taxis, buses and construction trucks.

You are correct Mike. I guess there is no thread depth limit for tires in the Philippines and if there is no one is enforcing it. I think most people keep going until the tire blows out.

Slick tires have almost no traction on wet roads.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the video. If you look closely you will notice that she is wishing her hair with water from the bucket. There's a lot of rain water coming down too but I'm sure a Filipino is afraid to wash with it. Some will even try to cover their head with their cell phone to keep the rain from hitting their head.

LOL nah mate, that's rain water in the bucket.  Our girl is a pragmatic one  :thumbsup:

That's good to hear. My wife doesn't believe in any of that nonsense either. We are in no harry to get out of the rain. A few drops on your head won't hurt you. I can't count how many times we rode our motorbike in the rain. A few times we were wet down to our underwear and never got sick.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

You need to purchase one or more dehumidifiers before the start of the rainy season. Otherwise, your leather goods will be covered with a fine while mold. The same with your camera lenses. The stench in the closet are your clothes starting to rot.

Shower once a day. Some foreigners develop fungus growth on their skin because of the high humidity. Drink beer. It has no medicinal benefits, but you will feel better while waiting for the rainy season to end.

When will you know the rainy season is over? As soon as you hear Bing Crosby singing, "I am dreaming of a White Christmas." on the radio.

Triple LIKE JJR!  That Bing Crosby reference killed me, you owe me another keyboard!  That is so true!

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Raining Season, What Do You Do?

I think Filipinos stay at home and make babies. The country is so over populated something has to be causing it.

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

You need to purchase one or more dehumidifiers before the start of the rainy season. Otherwise, your leather goods will be covered with a fine while mold. The same with your camera lenses. The stench in the closet are your clothes starting to rot.

Shower once a day. Some foreigners develop fungus growth on their skin because of the high humidity. Drink beer. It has no medicinal benefits, but you will feel better while waiting for the rainy season to end.

When will you know the rainy season is over? As soon as you hear Bing Crosby singing, "I am dreaming of a White Christmas." on the radio.

He's very correct about the high humidity during the rainy season. A couple of years ago we had some relatives visiting us for a while. They kept the window open most of the time in the room they were using. In the room was a tall metal stand fan and a TV table with chrome legs from the US. Both of them rusted and so did the chrome legs on the coffee table we bought here. There was even rush on the electric fan. Nothing rusted in the rooms where we use our air-cond. After that experience we don't allow them to open any windows. If they can't take the air-cond then they need to go back home. The high humidity will rust metal and cause mold to grow on cloth if you don't take preventive measures.

High Humidity mixed with High Temperatures is the perfect environment for old and mildew to grow. When you here someone say its Winter and cold here don't believe it. We are in the Tropics where it never gets cold. They just think its cold if they have never been to a country where its really cold. Cold is a relative term so what is called cold here will still be hot to you if you are coming from a country that is not in the tropics.

Filipinos have a high skin temperature so just a 2 degrees C drop is cold to them but you may not notice the difference.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's what I'm talking about Jake!

The flood water may only be ankle deep but the bacteria and worse is what worry's me especially having children. 

Do a lot of Filipinos just bunker down for a few months do you think Robert?

Brown Water?

Oh boy, another vivid reminder of my days in Cavite City (1990's) when a super typhoon slammed through the area.  We

were looking for another rental in Rosario, Cavite and Judy persuaded this nice Filipino OFW gentleman to rent out one

of his homes.  It was a family owned compound -- very private.

The cemented 3 bedroom, single story home was slightly elevated (for a good reason) overlooking a narrow road to a

local beach resort.  The asphalted road was full of pot hole and dog chit and other bio hazard materials.  You know, you

can never walk a straight line anywhere in PI.  You either dodging pot holes or freshly dropped ka-ka.....he, he. 

Even though that raging typhoon missed our area by more than 50 miles, that road in front of us became a superhighway

of brown water, reversing directions affected by surges and tides.  And yet at waist deep, these kids ate it up -- playing

in a water park for free.  Actually I was very curious how those same kids dodge those same biohazards swimming towards

them.  And it's a fresh load every couple hours, the surge now emptying to Manila Bay.  I guess animals don't stop chittin'

just because it's raining.

In that type of environment where warm, humid and now liquid conditions becomes an excellent breeding grounds for all

kinds of germs and bacteria (Google urine from rats).  I was very strict enforcing my own kids to stay healthy by washing

your hands and face at least several times a day.  Any cuts or even a slight opening of skin -- they don't go out, not even

to the sari-sari store within the compound. 

But stupid me, I go out anyway during inclement weather when the winds are strong.  I was the only stupid one out there

in open water, wind surfing at rippin' speeds, dodging those same biohazards, including floating diapers and floating dead

piglets.  I had so much fun that day.  Until I get my annual pneumonia.....that pink powered amoxicillin from Mercury Drugs

works pretty good.  And so was the TLC (tender-loving-care) I got from Judy.....he, he.  

BoBo ako -- Jake  

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

JJ, the christmas music actually starts in September. As soon as the "ber" months come it's Christmas prep time. So the Bing Crosby barometer does not work here.

I tried to use an AC as my dehumidifier my first rainy season here in Subic. I still got mold in my closets. I ended up buying Damprid and a dehumidifier per room. The dehumidifiers suck out 4-5L every 12 hours.

Last year we had only 4 or 5 rain free days in July. Now with this monster typhoon heading for Okinawa we will be having some good rain every day for the next 4 or 5 days.

For me I choose to read a little more, drink a little more (have to keep flushing my system out), water in the morning and beer in the afternoon. I download the movies/tv shows that I want to watch and also brew my beer. So that keeps me busy whenever I don't have silly ankle biter stuff to do around the house (fix this broken widget, etc.)

I like the G&T idea. I usually keep tonic water on hand for whenever someone gets a bad case of stomach issues. The quinine in it is good for that. Also, here you should make your own ice with bottled or purified water, unless you are pouring straight alcohol (whiskey) as you could end up with some quality time in the CR.

• Like 3