Raining Season, What Do You Do?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Last rainy season we lived in a bamboo nipa house and it was about like living outside.  Everything was growing mold (and I mean everything, Jake!)   We are just getting into a new rainy season and are in a brick apartment., (not to be confused with the proverbial brick sh&thouse). 

One of the biggest problems is the jeepneys put the plastic over the windows to keep out the rain but it makes them SO hot!  You pack 20 people in there with no ventilation.... 

Mostly we still get around ok.  You wait for the rain to stop, usually only a few hours a day, and then go about your business.  When it rains for 3 days straight - just hope you don't run out of rice, or rum!    :tiphat:

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

We go fishing, fish are wet any way, and we got a bag full, funny talking about tyres, we were on a tryc the other day on a muddy part of the new road works here, the guy couldn't get any traction with his rear bald tyre, he had a full load, we all just sat there and looked at him, I think he expected us to get out and push :hystery: in his dreams.

I don't know if it's only me, but in these parts rains at night and then around 3ish in the arvo nearly every day.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

We go fishing, fish are wet any way, and we got a bag full, funny talking about tyres, we were on a tryc the other day on a muddy part of the new road works here, the guy couldn't get any traction with his rear bald tyre, he had a full load, we all just sat there and looked at him, I think he expected us to get out and push :hystery: in his dreams.

I don't know if it's only me, but in these parts rains at night and then around 3ish in the arvo nearly every day.

LOL...was there even one day over the last couple of weeks when it did not rain at least for a couple of hours...haha.....Chris...don't know if I told you, but I made lots of friends with my big golf umbrella...lol...you can get about 5 pinoys under one of those things :)

• Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

LOL...was there even one day over the last couple of weeks when it did not rain at least for a couple of hours...haha.....Chris...don't know if I told you, but I made lots of friends with my big golf umbrella...lol...you can get about 5 pinoys under one of those things :)

Yeah I remember you saying that, I usually see a pretty filipina with an umbrella and ask her can she walk a poor old expat across the road so I won't get wet :thumbsup: .

On the monday the daughter and friend wanted to go zip lining from a hotel in Cebu City, well we showed up to early and had to wait for it to open, so decided to get a big bang burger from Ayala, well while we where having lunch it absolutely pi$$ed down, lightning and thunder, the girls some how had a change of heart, thought shopping would be a better idea, more fun in the Philippines. :tiphat:

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Where I live its only raining 2 or 3 days a week right now so still plenty of days to go swimming. Even if it rains some while you are swimming what does it matter you are already wet just like the fish. Most Filipinos run inside when its raining but I don't see anything wrong with swimming in the rain if there's no lightening. Maybe they think its cold but I have never been cold outside since I came to the Philippines. My wife swims in the rain too. We're a perfect match.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Where I live its only raining 2 or 3 days a week right now so still plenty of days to go swimming. Even if it rains some while you are swimming what does it matter you are already wet just like the fish. Most Filipinos run inside when its raining but I don't see anything wrong with swimming in the rain if there's no lightening. Maybe they think its cold but I have never been cold outside since I came to the Philippines. My wife swims in the rain too. We're a perfect match.

Yeah, I've been known to go out anyway during a thunderstorm with occasional lightning.  My two piece mast

about 16' tall was made of aluminum.  Windsurfing was in my blood, along with a severe case of stupidity.  

Judy can get very dark and I can get even more darker.  We don't use no stinkin' umbrellas or wear oversize

T shirts.  Rain or shine, the locals can't believe how we are exposing ourselves like that, especially during a

torrential down pour.

I love it when Judy is all wet......he, he.  

• Like 4

Markham
Posted
Posted

I'm almost tempted to ask: what rainy season? For us down south it has been the driest "wet" season I've known with brief rain showers at most twice a week and even then lasting just a few minutes. You can always tell when it's about to rain here - the taxis run away and hide!

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Not too much rain here either. The muddy road beside our apartment is dry and hard. Having a mud road or street near by is a good way to judge how much rain you are getting.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I haven't been there for a couple of months but SAO is telling me it's wet.  I'll ask her tomorrow.  

Good Morning Vietnam quote, was going to try to paraphrase it for you all but I think the master can do the delivery:

I still get a chuckle out that after all the time I've spent in SE Asia and living in the tropics in Aust.

"Nice if you're with a lady, no good if you're in a jungle!"

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Well I haven't been there for a couple of months but SAO is telling me it's wet.  I'll ask her tomorrow.  

Good Morning Vietnam quote, was going to try to paraphrase it for you all but I think the master can do the delivery:

I still get a chuckle out that after all the time I've spent in SE Asia and living in the tropics in Aust.

"Nice if you're with a lady, no good if you're in a jungle!"

Might be interesting to note, Brett, that currently Robin is "drying out" in the clinic, getting off the Wild Turkey :)

• Like 2