Visa Options For Longstay [Under 30, Funds From Abroad, Uk Citizen]

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

So as above I'm under 30, have funds from abroad, and a British passport.

I'm looking at long term stay in SE Asia. Have spent a year in Thailand recently  but they are getting strict with visa rules so I came back to UK to plan my next move.

Philippines appeals.

What options do I have for a long term stay?

I've read so much contradictory advice online so far - 59 days, 6 months extentions, 1 year multiple entry visas....I'm just not sure what the situation is.

Could someone please advise?

Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

You can arrive and get a visa waiver for 30 days, then you can extend to 59 days. Although as far as I know it has not been implicated at all BI offices yet you can now get 6 month extensions. This is available at Manila and I recall more info in this visa forum. You can now stay up to 36 months. Things change and not all changes are placed on the immigration site but to get an idea of fees search here, 

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

For a young fella it would pay off applying for a quota visa:

http://www.clarkisit.com/know-quota-immigrant-visa/

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

JGF is referring to the Tourist Visa. It averages about $560 per year in costs for the extensions. Also after 6 months in country, you have to get and Exit Clearance Certificate (ECC) from your local BI office 3 days prior to leaving country. When you do your extensions a 2x2 recent photo (easily obtained at the malls cheap) is required on each application.

If you get the quota immigration visa, you will be exempt from the ECC requirement. With 50 visas per year per nationality, it's extremely competitive to get.

• Like 2

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

Just had a quick read about the Quota visa. Doesn't seem like that fits my situation at all seeing as very competitive, limited, and preference goes to people with Fillipino children etc.

So as a tourist I can arrive get 30 days on arrival and then extend for 6 months relatively hassle free?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So as a tourist I can arrive get 30 days on arrival and then extend for 6 months relatively hassle free?

That depends on where you are Located. seems only Manila are doing 6 months at a Time, you may well have to do as many of us do, 2 months only but yes, it is relatively painless. (well having said this) It all depends where you are going to Live and How close the BOI office is to you. I know some, that have to make it a 2 day trip, One of my Friends does his, on a Different island. a lot closer and easier than Cebu.

Maybe this, will be a deciding Factor, for Accommodation purposes.

Your first one will be the Visa waiver @ 3030 peso. Needs to be done, prior to you 30 days run out. I usually do mine 2/3 days after I arrive.

The next one 1st extension, will be 3880 peso

Your 2nd Extension will cost more as you will have to apply for an ACR card. around 6000+ peso

then it remains at 3080 peso until Jan when you will be hit with the 310 peso reporting fee.

This goes on every 2 months, until you have been here for 3 years then you have to leave the PI. then it all starts over again. when you come back after say 2/3 days

Make any sense hmmmmmm I guess not too much but then, what does, when dealing with the BOI

Please bear in Mind, that after you have been here 6 months you will need an Exit certificate ECC to leave the PI.  This can only be done in Person at a Major BOI Office. 3 days(72 hours) before you are due to leave. There are no exceptions  to this. NO  ECC  you can't leave the PI

Come, Enjoy and be happy :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:  :unsure:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
That depends on where you are Located. seems only Manila are doing 6 months at a Time

Read today that Davao BI were asking if people want the 6 months so its must be filtering through to most BI offices now.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

You can get the 6 month visa at most offices now  super easy to stay in the Phils for up to 36 months at around 2 bucks a day

• Like 2

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

Please bear in Mind, that after you have been here 6 months you will need an Exit certificate ECC to leave the PI.  This can only be done in Person at a Major BOI Office. 3 days(72 hours) before you are due to leave. There are no exceptions  to this. NO  ECC  you can't leave the PI

And what is the purpose of this exit certificate? I've never heard of something like that before.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hi Scotsman and welcome to the forum.

I have a few mates in Thailand and they're getting around the new visa issues there by enrolling in whatever and staying on a student visa.  Registered training organisations in-country are all of a sudden booming, no surprise really.  Border hops aren't an issue for them anymore (yes, I resided there for a couple of months so feel your pain).  

On the upside, you can stay in PH for up to 3 years now on an extended tourist Visa and it's completely legitimate unlike the student scam in Thailand, so it gives you a fair measure of legitimacy and no inquiries regarding false pretences.  After the 3 years (yes you have to extend multiple times within that period as explained above) you do need to leave the country for an undefined period to reset and start again.  Some just do a "visa jump" to the cheapest place outside PI and come back within 24 hours.  Singapore, Kota Kinabalu, Guam, Hong Kong are all popular destinations and an excuse for a holiday.  

Overall, the visa process is much cheaper than Thailand under the previous rules so with that, the new Thai rules, and a lot of personal reasons, PI is a much better option for me.  

At the end of the day, it's your call mate.

Brett