Fines And Penalties For Major Traffic Violations In The Philippines

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just a foot note the EWD doesn't not belong to you even after you buy it ... it is assigned to the car and when you sell or get rid of the car it goes with it .... I bought one when we first got here but when i got my tags last year they never asked if I had one or not and issued me another one (which of course I had to pay for) and put a sticker on it that corresponds with my tag number .... they maybe more strict here in Negros but I understand it is a nation wide policy .... but probably not in forced ....

By the way if you do buy one take it down to them and they will put a sticker on it for you (I didn't know that) ACE sells them and is about half of what the LTO sells them for ..... but in all honesty the LTO ones come in a nice hard plastic case ..... at least the one I got did ..... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Americano
Posted
Posted

Here's a News article date June 24, 2012 concerning the Law requiring an Early Warning Device to be carried in 4 wheeled vehicles.  Its very strange that most of us drivers in the Philippines have never heard of this law.

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/35651/lto-to-enforce-law-on-use-of-early-warning-device

Americano
Posted
Posted

Just a foot note the EWD doesn't not belong to you even after you buy it ... it is assigned to the car and when you sell or get rid of the car it goes with it .... I bought one when we first got here but when i got my tags last year they never asked if I had one or not and issued me another one (which of course I had to pay for) and put a sticker on it that corresponds with my tag number .... they maybe more strict here in Negros but I understand it is a nation wide policy .... but probably not in forced ....

By the way if you do buy one take it down to them and they will put a sticker on it for you (I didn't know that) ACE sells them and is about half of what the LTO sells them for ..... but in all honesty the LTO ones come in a nice hard plastic case ..... at least the one I got did ..... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

From what I have read so far an EWD is not required for registration. Its only required for a road side stop or when you need to use it.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I thought that's what 4 way flashers were for. Our cars are not commercial vehicles.

Americano
Posted
Posted

I thought that's what 4 way flashers were for. Our cars are not commercial vehicles.

Don't forget we are in the Philippines where some things don't make any sense.  Maybe I will just carry some of my road flares from the USA.

RBM
Posted
Posted

I have already heard some stories about this from some expats that I know. One Aussie fellow I know has installed GoPro Cameras in the vehicle's visor (facing the street lights) and another in his ceiling facing the driver's window. Whenever he is in Manila, he runs the cameras constantly. If he gets in a dispute about running a red light (i.e. it's turns yellow while in the intersection), he has proof that the Traffic Enforcer is wrong. The ceiling camera is to catch the Traffic Enforcer asking for money in lieu of a ticket. Once they do that, he has them and they can't run away fast enough. I have also heard that this is becoming a trend and that motorcyclists are also installing them on their helmets. 

Quite an ingenious idea to keep the enforcers honest and the disputes resolved quickly.

I just bought a basic web cam from CDR King for P1800 including big mem card. In the event of an accident, depending the judge could be a big help.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Would the cam help in the redlight scenario since in the Philippines eyewitness testimony trumps photographic evidence?

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I have already heard some stories about this from some expats that I know. One Aussie fellow I know has installed GoPro Cameras in the vehicle's visor (facing the street lights) and another in his ceiling facing the driver's window. Whenever he is in Manila, he runs the cameras constantly. If he gets in a dispute about running a red light (i.e. it's turns yellow while in the intersection), he has proof that the Traffic Enforcer is wrong. The ceiling camera is to catch the Traffic Enforcer asking for money in lieu of a ticket. Once they do that, he has them and they can't run away fast enough. I have also heard that this is becoming a trend and that motorcyclists are also installing them on their helmets. 

Quite an ingenious idea to keep the enforcers honest and the disputes resolved quickly.

I just bought a basic web cam from CDR King for P1800 including big mem card. In the event of an accident, depending the judge could be a big help.

Web cam?  Isn't that made for the Internet?  How can you use it in your vehicle?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Web cam?  Isn't that made for the Internet?  How can you use it in your vehicle?

Yeh think thats the name. Its the same size as a garmin and mounts on the front screen. has a memory chip inside and basically records every thing in front. 

Some people also mount them at the rear.

Of course Philippines being what it is there is no guarantee it would stand up in court despite having date and time on the video.

Friends have of mine whom were involved in a minor incident said it defused a situation after the other person was shown how he was clearly at fault.. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

it defused a situation after the other person was shown how he was clearly at fault.. 

:hystery:  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Yeah But getting him to actually admit it, is a different Story!  Back to face again? This pride thing, can get ugly sometimes IMHO