Is This Legal?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The original post noted a sidewalk turned into a parking space but it goes both ways.  In Dumaguete, along the boulevard, there is a parking space that turns into a street food restaurant at night.  Its just using the available space to the max.  (For those familiar I am talking about the parking spaces across from Coco Amigos that turn into balut/tempera stalls at night.

If you are parked in that area after 5 pm when they start to set up the stalls you will have a devil of a time getting out.  Its not the only place that does this, just the best example I can think of.

DSC05345.JPG

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I once was having lunch in Paranaque watching all the vendors outside the glass of a restaurant-just going about their daily lives selling merchandise from their portable stands-many-maybe a hundred or so in a street. I looked up from eating-huh!?...They were gone?! The street was cleared out. I asked my (then) GF-what th... just happened? She calmly said police are in the area so they all clear out. By the time we were finished eating they were returning with their portable carts and setting up again to sell their merchandise. It's like a cat and mouse game-all day-every day-whereas the mouse is twice the size as the cat! Ahh..such as the charm of the Philippines!!

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It's like a cat and mouse game-all day-every day

This is something I found out Yesterday, Apparently there were moves some years ago to stop Street vending like this but like so may things regulating and enforcing are just not going to Happen. Again, it depends on the location, provinces and Towns just Interpret these things very Differently. Where would we all be with out Street vendors, we all need them at Sometime and It is a way of life for so many. No good Anyone say the Nationals don't help themselves, When, they Do, it seems it is wrong. No win Situation all round I think! 

JP

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Apparently there were moves some years ago to stop Street vending like this

But then, where would the cops get their free food?

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

You can't apply Western standards to the Philippines.

They should stamp that on every passport at port of entry.

You can remove the word "Western" from the statement and it will still be correct.  You can't apply standards to the Philippines.  There are no standards or laws that are equally enforced everywhere and on every person.  Is the word standards even in the Filipino English vocabulary?

• Like 3

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Apparently there were moves some years ago to stop Street vending like this

But then, where would the cops get their free food?

It seems like a cooperative effort-one hand feeds the other in looking the other way, non enforcement for victimless crimes, and most minding to their own life's struggles-such as the pulse of the city-sidewalks and all.

Alby
Posted
Posted

Americano, there is no translation in south Asian countries for the word 'logic'. Why? Coz it don't exist in the language :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

There is usually an armed security guard next to the reserved parking spaces. He will help the driver park if you are a customer. Otherwise, keep away. Pedestrians are presumed to be poor so their place in the social hierarchy is lower. If you use a car or taxi, the establishment assumes you are a person of importance or wealth.

I walk. The air inside vehicles is worse than the air outside, because the CO builds up and collects inside.

I don't care enough, what people think, to stop walking. I feel achy if I don't get exercise. It bugs me a bit what they think, but it's not the end of the world. 

I think all those security guards waving on people with massive 4x4s (SUVs) should shoot the drivers in the heads. Especially the "doctors" who "help" poor filipinos by getting paid relatively massive salaries, so normal families can be plunged into poverty or have to give up school because of hospital bills....

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

There is usually an armed security guard next to the reserved parking spaces. He will help the driver park if you are a customer. Otherwise, keep away. Pedestrians are presumed to be poor so their place in the social hierarchy is lower. If you use a car or taxi, the establishment assumes you are a person of importance or wealth.

I walk. The air inside vehicles is worse than the air outside, because the CO builds up and collects inside.

I don't care enough, what people think, to stop walking. I feel achy if I don't get exercise. It bugs me a bit what they think, but it's not the end of the world. 

I think all those security guards waving on people with massive 4x4s (SUVs) should shoot the drivers in the heads. Especially the "doctors" who "help" poor filipinos by getting paid relatively massive salaries, so normal families can be plunged into poverty or have to give up school because of hospital bills....

"Especially the "doctors" who "help" poor filipinos by getting paid relatively massive salaries, so normal families can be plunged into poverty or have to give up school because of hospital bills...."

I agree with you 100%.  Why should doctors get rich even from the poor people?  In my opinion doctors should start working at the minimum wage just like most people.  Why are they treated special and praised like they can do nothing wrong?  Most are greedy people who pretend they know everything when actually they know very little about living a health life.  In the USA their average life span is less than a couch potato. If they are so smart and know the way to live a long life then doctors should be the oldest people in the world instead of dying younger than the average person.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Why would anyone go to college for 12 years unless they would get a good paycheck?  Becoming a doctor is very hard - I would not want to go to a minimum wage doctor ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 1