The Dream

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Lots of people have made the move to the Phils and maybe lots have returned to where ever they came from,

But who is still there living the way they want too, weather its still a dream most days but some days hard work too, you are still there and have no intention of leaving where you call home,

Then there is the ones who hated where they went to and have gone to other place or return back to there roots,

Moving to a different part of the world does not suit us all and there are a few who are living in the phils but give bad reports about the place but why are they still there, its a funny old world they say,

I am not there yet , will i love the place or hate it, or will it be just like here good days bad days,

One of the reasons we are going there is the cost , i dont want to work till i am 66, here in the Uk and then live in what i think will be a dumping ground for all Europe, but thats another story,

I will listen to all the advice that you will give me, but its down to me to find out where i want and what i want in my remaining years,

• Like 5

Paul Dean
Posted
Posted

Lots of people have made the move to the Phils and maybe lots have returned to where ever they came from,

But who is still there living the way they want too, weather its still a dream most days but some days hard work too, you are still there and have no intention of leaving where you call home,

Then there is the ones who hated where they went to and have gone to other place or return back to there roots,

Moving to a different part of the world does not suit us all and there are a few who are living in the phils but give bad reports about the place but why are they still there, its a funny old world they say,

I am not there yet , will i love the place or hate it, or will it be just like here good days bad days,

One of the reasons we are going there is the cost , i dont want to work till i am 66, here in the Uk and then live in what i think will be a dumping ground for all Europe, but thats another story,

I will listen to all the advice that you will give me, but its down to me to find out where i want and what i want in my remaining years,

I'd choose a place with potable water. The only two I know of are the subic freeport area (did i say that right?), and Davao city. I wouldn't suggest the latter if you like drugs, sex with underage girls, or other illegal/immoral things. I heard mayor Deuter (did i say that right?) has death squads that ride around on black hondas giving warnings to people. Supposedly, if they don't leave the city or stop doing bad stuff after the second warning they are shot dead, even children. Personally, I have no problem with this, as I despise criminals and dislike most children, but it's information that's good to have/look into. Keep in mind I haven't been yet, but Davao is where I'm gonna go. It was rated the fourth safest city in the world not too long ago, that's surprising when considering the reputation of Mindanao.

• Like 2

Markham
Posted
Posted

I'd choose a place with potable water. The only two I know of are the subic freeport area (did i say that right?), and Davao city. I wouldn't suggest the latter if you like drugs, sex with underage girls, or other illegal/immoral things. I heard mayor Deuter (did i say that right?) has death squads that ride around on black hondas giving warnings to people. Supposedly, if they don't leave the city or stop doing bad stuff after the second warning they are shot dead, even children. Personally, I have no problem with this, as I despise criminals and dislike most children, but it's information that's good to have/look into. Keep in mind I haven't been yet, but Davao is where I'm gonna go. It was rated the fourth safest city in the world not too long ago, that's surprising when considering the reputation of Mindanao.

There is potable water throughout the Philippines however the WHO rated Davao's natural water supply as the best in the world second only to a supply in the Pyrenees.

The mayor whose name you're struggling with is Rodi Duterte whose wife is German. It is his son that we have to thank for the city's blanket smoking ban. As for "death squads that ride around on black hondas giving warnings to people", that's the stuff of urban myth, nevertheless the city is the safest conurbation in the country and one of the safest in Asia. 

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

The quality of many things are deteriorating in the US and the prices keep rising while the product shrinks.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
but Davao is where I'm gonna go. It was rated the fourth safest city in the world not too long ago, that's surprising when considering the reputation of Mindanao

Metro Davao is quite safe as well as Samal Island. I visited Davao City about 2 years ago and have several friends there, none have ever had an issue regardless of the time of day or night they wander around; my self included.

The trouble spot for foreigners is mostly on the Zamboanga Peninsula; the Muslim majority area. But I'd still be careful traveling in any of the more remote areas.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well said Tim

intrepid
Posted
Posted

This topic reminds me of an old tail I was told many years ago.(see below story)  We must remember that a lot has to do with our attitude!

For what it's worth,

A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.
"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."
"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.
Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.
Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.
"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."
"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."

• Like 5

russellmania
Posted
Posted

I read Sunstar.com a few times a week and I check out Cebu City then Pampanga then Manila and last is Davao City. And just like you guys I heard Davao is pretty safe city. But I see more murders and crime committed in Davao then all the other cities I mentioned. I was surprised.

• Like 2