The Dream

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I have been living here almost 2 years now.  So far so good  :)

I am always amazed at how bad some people talk about the PI's.  If I was that unhappy - I would leave!  It is really up to your attitude and temperament.  I came with a good attitude and have always enjoyed new cultures.  After 2 years my only real complaint is noisy neighbors. 

I try and stay realistic about it.  I am not one of the doom & gloom types but I also don't blow rainbow colored smoke up your butt (that cost extra!). 

I live in Iloilo.  It is a nice place to live but I would not want to visit...not much touristy things to do.  But on the flip side one of the best things about it is there are so few tourists.  We have a decent sized expat community but not the girly bars or crime/scammers that comes with a red light district. 

Take some time to choose the right place to live and you should be fine.  Most of us seem to end up living wherever "she" is from - but that is not so bad either.   :tiphat:

I lived in Cebu for nearly three years, and Iloilo was one place I visited. As you say, certainly few or touristy things to do, but I took a couple friends to visit their father, who was working construction there. We also hit up Bacolod and a BEAUTIFUL nearby resort in Mambukal, an hour's drive from Bacolod. Mambukal was pure greenery with seven beautiful waterfalls on a nearby hiking trail. It was home to tens of thousands of bats that would come out at night. The town was located a day's hike from a volcano, which caused hot springs to bubble out of the ground. That was as close to paradise as I've ever found.

Oops, back on subject...the thing that struck me about Iloilo was that it was extremely clean...MUCH cleaner than the area of Cebu where I lived. I didn't see any trash strewn about, whereas back in Cebu, people wouldn't think twice about throwing their trash on the ground anywhere. That was one of two things that disappointed me about Cebu: trash and food. I lived about an hour's drive from Cebu City, so my restaurant choices were extremely limited: Jollibee (the Filipino staple behind rice) or what they called pizza.

Iloilo was one place I briefly considered living, but there are so many other potential living spots. I've got my heart set on Lipa City, a big but extremely clean, peaceful, and beautiful city about an hour-and-a-half drive south of Manila.

• Like 3

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been living here almost 2 years now.  So far so good  :)

I am always amazed at how bad some people talk about the PI's.  If I was that unhappy - I would leave!  It is really up to your attitude and temperament.  I came with a good attitude and have always enjoyed new cultures.  After 2 years my only real complaint is noisy neighbors. 

I try and stay realistic about it.  I am not one of the doom & gloom types but I also don't blow rainbow colored smoke up your butt (that cost extra!). 

I live in Iloilo.  It is a nice place to live but I would not want to visit...not much touristy things to do.  But on the flip side one of the best things about it is there are so few tourists.  We have a decent sized expat community but not the girly bars or crime/scammers that comes with a red light district. 

Take some time to choose the right place to live and you should be fine.  Most of us seem to end up living wherever "she" is from - but that is not so bad either.   :tiphat:

Tim, great post. Triple like! I can sense your lifestlye is one of contentment and peace with a quiet enjoyment of your new home. I believe the challenges that face us in the Philippines are no more than they are of our home country-they are just..well..different challenges-and so life goes on. Attitude is the first thing I check-as priority- when I pack my luggage to go there. Sometimes we need to carve out our personal definition of our dream-and it can take some work as we are in a way restarting our life and planting new roots.

I personally hold onto  "the dream" of moving with my wife to the Philippines, not just because it's her home country, but also because in my several visits there, I love the people (in general), the culture, the way of life in general and how I can fit in. I had gone to 4 major cities and visited several areas in the provinces and had envisioned life there as a resident rather than a visitor-ultimately. I figured I'm squirreling away my money and moving much to the delight and agreement of Annie as well!!

Here in the US I am thoroughly preparing as best as possible. Researching this move on the internet to me is about 10% of the prep process and the rest is going there to experience all the country has to offer.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Nice to read different views on THE DREAM plus reasons, pros and cons.

One subject which is not often mentioned as a primary reason for living here is the weather.

For myself this would be one of the main considerations for spending time here. For sure many posters like myself come for cold climates where winter drags for 8---9 months. Waking up and putting on the shorts every day is a bliss.

Yes many countries offer this, but coupled with English speaking friendliness of younger ladies and other pluses I find it out weighs the numerous negatives.

We all can up and leave if we find it just does not suit us. Reminder to new comers, the first 6 months as previously mentioned can sure be shell shocked months.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Reminder to new comers, the first 6 months as previously mentioned can sure be shell shocked months.

:thumbsup:  Absolutley Spot On. Visiting is one thing but....................? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Alby
Posted
Posted

Reminder to new comers, the first 6 months as previously mentioned can sure be shell shocked months.

:thumbsup: Absolutley Spot On. Visiting is one thing but....................? :rolleyes:

Hehehe ... I have been 7 months here :)

Still shell shocked! Mainly coz people here want everything when they don't have anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

One subject which is not often mentioned as a primary reason for living here is the weather.

For myself this would be one of the main considerations for spending time here. For sure many posters like myself come for cold climates where winter drags for 8---9 months. Waking up and putting on the shorts every day is a bliss.

Yes many countries offer this, but coupled with English speaking friendliness of younger ladies and other pluses I find it out weighs the numerous negatives.

We all can up and leave if we find it just does not suit us. Reminder to new comers, the first 6 months as previously mentioned can sure be shell shocked months.

The weather is a major factor for me too. I can't stand the cold weather (anything below 60F) as the plates/screws in my leg remind me why I love the heat. 

Before I had the leg issue, I used to complain about the brief freezes in Florida and say that I would move south LOL. Now I am truly content with the weather in the Philippines. 

• Like 4

davewe
Posted
Posted

The weather is a major factor for me too. I can't stand the cold weather (anything below 60F) as the plates/screws in my leg remind me why I love the heat. 

Before I had the leg issue, I used to complain about the brief freezes in Florida and say that I would move south LOL. Now I am truly content with the weather in the Philippines. 

I don't have screws in my leg, but cold is my one admission that age is changing me. I live in the NW which is not particularly cold, but I don't even like it when it dips below 70. During the winter I invariably get a cough which lingers until the spring warms things up enough to break it up. So I can't wait till I live in 85+ heat on a daily basis.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I don't have screws in my leg, but cold is my one admission that age is changing me. I live in the NW which is not particularly cold, but I don't even like it when it dips below 70. During the winter I invariably get a cough which lingers until the spring warms things up enough to break it up. So I can't wait till I live in 85+ heat on a daily basis.

If this is a club we gotta join to live in the warmer climate, I'm joining!!!

:mocking:

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hey wish you guys could learn to use C instead of F so the rest of us can understand......

But we do agree it's far better hot than freezing.....This could also apply to my other point about the delights of enjoying the appreciation of so many young ladies here!!!!

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

The humidity is the killer!

Ever went out for 5 minutes somewhere to come back drenched in sweat? It's here!

Off to shower ... again! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk