The Dream

robert k
Posted
Posted

I had good broadband in Calocmoy, Socorro, Mindoro Oriental, are you trying to tell me that a narrow spot in the road like that is more advanced than Davao? :hystery:

Kai San
Posted
Posted

Reading comments from Expats who wanted to live permanently in the Philippines relieves my anxiety over going back to the Philippines. I took a 3 week vacation last year around September to see if I'm going to like living there, we stayed at my sister-in-law's condo in Makati, place is decent, actually very good for Philippine Standard, our nearest hangout place is Greenbelt,Glorietta- deemed to be an elite shopping mall in the Philippines.  Service however sucks.  You'll see sales staff talking in the corner about their personal lives, they do not greet customers when they walk in, verrrryyyy verrryyy slow service.  Have you tried paying with credit card? they swipe it into a card machine, then writes your card# on a paper (this really takes awhile)- unfortunately, customer security is not a priority.  Can't blame the staff though, they were not trained very well.  

I love the Philippines, but I can't help but complain too much about it.  I get so frustrated that I can't do anything but accept the fact that it is what it is.  Although there are progress, especially in tech, I think there are just soo many things that have to be fixed.

City offices have so many ways to improve the system - one is strict issuance of Driver's License.  People in the Philippines are not aware of the "Rules of the Road", for them knowing how to operate a car is enough to get a driver's license.  If they implement it right, cities can make money off driving permits, renewal of driver's license, etc.  And isn't it rewarding to pass a driving exam? It was such a great feeling right?

Anyway, I'm already offtopic.

I hope I could contribute when I move back. I'm still hoping for good things to come. I'm sure it'll be fun, but it would also be great to have a community (like this) to share what you're going through - all the pains and excitement, etc.

• Like 2

Kai San
Posted
Posted

This is the reason why we are going back to the Philippines - to get more value out of our dollar while building a business.

Hopefully soon, we'll live the "dream", go to different places without worrying about losing your 9-5 job and not worrying about steady income.

Our business is web-based, husband is a programmer, i am in logistics field but also trying to build a startup.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome Kai....as you read the forums and get to know us, you will find that most of us are older, living on fixed incomes from our lives of toiling for the man :no: . And while almost all of us are married to Filipina ladies, we are still foreigners here. There is a recent topic that quite a few of us ranted about what it will take for the Philippines to improve. One thing is for sure, there is little that "we" as "kano's" can really do to effect change. If we suggest things we are looked upon as meddlesome snobs. Most likely it will take folks such as yourself who as returning Filipino citizens who have been successful overseas and have learned new and different ways of doing thing. Again, welcome.

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted
Service however sucks.  You'll see sales staff talking in the corner about their personal lives, they do not greet customers when they walk in, verrrryyyy verrryyy slow service.  Have you tried paying with credit card? they swipe it into a card machine, then writes your card# on a paper (this really takes awhile)- unfortunately, customer security is not a priority.  Can't blame the staff though, they were not trained very well.  

You will find the service issue quite common and rarely will you find decent service. I fault the management and the unfair labor practices (keep their staff only for 6 months and then lay them off). Which explains the cyclic quality of service at the establishments you frequent.

Also, unlike the US, plastic is really not the way to be paying for goods and services. Typically the merchants will ADD the bank card's fees to your bill. I only use plastic as a last resort. I cash my USD when the exchange rate is highest (I try to do several month's worth of expenses).

• Like 4