Drinking Water

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We buy our drinking water in the blue 20 liter (5 gallon) containers. When we look inside the empty or near empty containers, we see black mold. We have tried distilled, alkaline, and mineral water but it all forms a mold after 2 or 3 days. We prefer the mineral water. Anyone have some advice? Is there a chemical that we can add that will kill the mold but not us?

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

jpbago try this http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-mold-from-plastic/

It sounds to me that you have spores possibly in your water dispenser. I would throughly clean it out and then replace your water bottle. I would also place your water dispenser in a place where it gets plenty of light (light also mitigates black mold/mildew)

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

jpbago try this http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-mold-from-plastic/

It sounds to me that you have spores possibly in your water dispenser. I would throughly clean it out and then replace your water bottle. I would also place your water dispenser in a place where it gets plenty of light (light also mitigates black mold/mildew)

We do not use a water dispenser. The mold is in the blue containers. We use the blue containers which are high pressure cleaned at the water station before refilling. I will swish some white vinegar in the empties before we get them cleaned and refilled. Bleach will leave an odour and taste.

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

I am newly living in Davao. When I first arrived, I thought theses blue bottles of water were treated at some factory then distributed. Until I saw with my own eyes how wrong I was :)

I was at a laundry that doubled as a water distribution center. I saw how these empty bottles get delivered (from people like us), wiped then refilled by two Filipinos who were going at it from a faucet that kept running.

The first guy would wipe and fill. The second guy would put the top sealant with a hair dryer that melts the nylon around the bottle.

Now, we all know how many short cuts this process night have :)

I have to find another way to drink water, now ... may be it's cleaner from the tap? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

We recently switched from the blue containers because of the cleanliness and sometimes they short fill them a bit.  The water might be fine but if the containers are not cleaned properly (we just swap containers) then you might have a problem.  Also, the valves are not very good and not easy to clean.  We were paying 40p delivered.

We bought a nice dispenser with hot / cold (we turned hot off and it is now room temp) and use the clear 5 gallon bottles.  I think the clear bottles are cleaner and you can see inside if there were to be any dirt / mold / particles.  We pay p35 for the clear bottles but I go get them every 4 weeks or so.

Edited by OnMyWay

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My experience:  Each Water filling station is different and each stomach is different.  I got sick in Cebu from drinking water from a certain 'clean water' place that filled those 5 gallon blue plastic bottles but my expat neighbor got his filled at the same place and did not get sick.  The bottles are 'exchange' in places like that so no point in cleaning your bottles.

Conclusion:  Try different water places until you find one that works for you and/or buy own bottles and clean them yourself plus take them to the water place and watch them get filled.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

My experience:  Each Water filling station is different and each stomach is different.  I got sick in Cebu from drinking water from a certain 'clean water' place that filled those 5 gallon blue plastic bottles but my expat neighbor got his filled at the same place and did not get sick.  The bottles are 'exchange' in places like that so no point in cleaning your bottles.

Conclusion:  Try different water places until you find one that works for you and/or buy own bottles and clean them yourself plus take them to the water place and watch them get filled.

We have tried all four water stations in our city to no avail. We did buy our own containers and we do watch as they clean and we do show them the mold in the containers. We have never got sick but it looks bad.

We will try Juliet's suggestion.

Alby
Posted
Posted

I am newly living in Davao. When I first arrived, I thought theses blue bottles of water were treated at some factory then distributed. Until I saw with my own eyes how wrong I was :)

I was at a laundry that doubled as a water distribution center. I saw how these empty bottles get delivered (from people like us), wiped then refilled by two Filipinos who were going at it from a faucet that kept running.

The first guy would wipe and fill. The second guy would put the top sealant with a hair dryer that melts the nylon around the bottle.

Now, we all know how many short cuts this process night have :)

I have to find another way to drink water, now ... may be it's cleaner from the tap? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Is there a chemical that we can add that will kill the mold but not us?

i think peels of fresh pineapple fruits found to be effective for this problem with molds

let the peels stay overnight

you will be surprised to see them gone in the morning

it will kill the mold and will keep you alive, Sir...

How many peels are required? Do you wash the peels first? Do you leave the peels in until the bottle is empty?

Thanks in advance.....if you don't hear from me, then........

• Like 3