Drinking Water

tothevictor
Posted
Posted

We just boil our tap water.  For a while we were living waaaay out in a province where we had a spring - I drank it as it was without modification, filtering or purification.  It was fine, never even a murmur from my guts (disclaimer: I have lived everywhere from Bombay to Phnom Penh so I've probably got some reasonably resilient abdominal flora).  Bottled water in the Phils is touch and go, sometimes it's clean sometimes it's not.  Boiling your own and then - if you're looking for some extra goodness - running it through some sort of a filter will do the job.  

The other option is to go to a proper water distilling service, one of the ones that you can actually see what they're doing with the water.  They do exist but they tend to cost more.  For my money just boiling it well does the job.  Either that or stick to beer, do you know what fish do in water? :P

• Like 3

Julia
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is there a chemical that we can add that will kill the mold but not us?

i think peels of fresh pineapple fruits found to be effective for this problem with molds

let the peels stay overnight

you will be surprised to see them gone in the morning

it will kill the mold and will keep you alive, Sir...

How many peels are required? Do you wash the peels first? Do you leave the peels in until the bottle is empty?

Thanks in advance.....if you don't hear from me, then........

no minimum required amount for the peels but it would be great if you could place as much as you can. Washing the peels would mean losing its natural juice which is actually the cleaning agent so you may refrain from washing them. Good luck, Sir!

Edited by Otsibal Teiluj
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

First day on arrival, I brushed my teeth with Manila tap water on purpose. It took about 4 days to get the mild reaction I desired. Had another light bout about two weeks later on Mindoro, I screwed up and drank some service water, it's easy to forget when you take most of your meals at home. At "home" we were getting water from the co-op, 20php per light blue opaque 5 gallon jerry can which was fetched every 2 days as it was used to wash dishes. Never had a problem with the co-op water in that location.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I don't like ice in my beer, as I have no idea where that Ice has been. Cleaned my teeth with tap water once and suffered for two days afterwards. Blue containers were 90p delivered in QC (100p after the deliveryman saw me!) and the water was OK.

DILUTE bleach should be fine - it is after all what is used on babies' bottlles and teats. To quote a well known brand ("Milton") "Milton Fluid is made of an aqueous solution of sodium hypochlorite and 16.5% sodium chloride. The Milton Fluid that is available to buy is a strength of 2% sodium hypochlorite."

30 minutes immersion in this is apparently the same as ten minute's boiling.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

It was called an ice dance (in Makati night club) where the ice she picked up from his glass.  Judy got pissed off at me because I was the instigator to get him to drink it -- and the crowd goes wild.....he, he.

Kinda reminds me of a similar scenario in Okinawa, except it involved bananas and young marines! hahahaha It's all good fun as nobody gets hurt :D

Ice can be just as dangerous as tap water. A neighbor of mine was always having problems whenever he used locally bought ice for his smoothies. 

I never had issues with ice from the same location as I only used it with my whiskey  :cheersty:  :thumbsup: 

Edited by Jake
deleted my obscene remarks
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

It was called an ice dance (in Makati night club) where the ice she picked up from his glass was rubbed throughout her body. Judy got pissed off at me because I was the instigator to get him to drink it -- and the crowd goes wild.....he, he.
 Kinda reminds me of a similar scenario in Okinawa, except it involved bananas and young marines! hahahaha It's all good fun as nobody gets hurt :D

Ice can be just as dangerous as tap water. A neighbor of mine was always having problems whenever he used locally bought ice for his smoothies. 

I never had issues with ice from the same location as I only used it with my whiskey  :cheersty:  :thumbsup: 

Are there any similar water purifiers sold in PI like the ones below.  Anybody use them?

post-686-0-33666100-1412824105_thumb.jpg 29 bucks from Amazon

or this one from the faucet: post-686-0-38021000-1412824373_thumb.jpg $25 from Amazon

By the way Master Guns......I'm staying away from bananas from now on.  Damn those Marines!

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bought my own blue bottles and put my name and address with stickers on them and sellotaped them over so the name couldn't be removed, so always get my own bottles back, 20p delivered. Clean my teeth with tap water, even drank by mistake the tap water a few times, only time I was sick, had a mixed drink with some ice, was crook for about a week.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have 8 blue containers.  All with our name written in black marker on them.  We bought them new and we bring them in and have them filled while we wait.  We would NEVER take a container that was not ours as they have been filled with gasoline, diesel and any other fluid you can think of.

We replace them once a year with new ones.

Edited by SubicSteve
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

My logic is that you need to get a light dose to at least mitigate any later heavy doses because you know it's going to happen eventually, water added to steamed vegetables cooling it off below the temperature which would kill the beasties and served, still hot, just not hot enough, or a thousand other ways. I don't want what is living in my gut to be virgin territory so I have projectile eruptions at both ends.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
We replace them once a year with new ones.

I wonder how wise it is to continue using the plastic bottles. I've used the same ones for going on 4 years. Maybe time to start new?

• Like 1