Drinking Water

earthdome
Posted
Posted
A mate that runs a purification center told me that all the water is chlorinated which kills everything..The 24 stage filtration process removes the chemicals and the water is stripped of everything..Minerals included.

I hope the purification/filtration process is not removing everything. Absolutely pure water with no minerals is NOT good for your health. Drinking alot of 'distilled water" with no minerals will strip your body of electrolytes.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The Sun or UV method may reduce or eliminate bacteria but does nothing for toxic substances like heavy metals, etc. which might contaminate the drinking water.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Me thinks the mould problem in the water containers is simply because plastics come in different grades such as food grade plastic like those beer towers we see. If some one buys some cheap containers from China they may not be food grade so that is my theory and I'm sticking to it.  :)

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

A mate that runs a purification center told me that all the water is chlorinated which kills everything..The 24 stage filtration process removes the chemicals and the water is stripped of everything..Minerals included.

I hope the purification/filtration process is not removing everything. Absolutely pure water with no minerals is NOT good for your health. Drinking alot of 'distilled water" with no minerals will strip your body of electrolytes.

The Sun or UV method may reduce or eliminate bacteria but does nothing for toxic substances like heavy metals, etc. which might contaminate the drinking water.

Hey BubbleHead (EarthDome),

From your career as a nuclear engineer onboard a nuke sub, you are monitoring all kinds of fluids with their filtration

systems and also practicing chemistry in your sleep.......I guess you know a thing or two about potable water.  

What intrigues me more is that you are intimate familiar with heavy water.......he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake, a nuke surface navy puke (USS TRUXTUN CGN-35)

Edited by Jake
fluid check
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

:cheersty: I like that pineapple idea, but just to be safe drop a liter of rum in the jug,

Hey Gerald,

You're crackin' me up!  You're my kind of people to be with behind bars in the Philippines -- until our wife's bail us out

and then we get tortured together.  But we're snockered anyway, drinking that water with a chit-eaten grin.....he, he.

Rrriple, neepple LIKE, my priend!     

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yep..The water is stripped of EVERYTHING!!

We dont see too many people here going down with parasitic or bacteria born diseases like typhoid so much anymore like in the 80`s..

Our new problem is they are dropping like flies due to a sore lack of electrolytes and a good dose of copper and lead..

Not.

Edited by fred

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Has anybody tried Reverse Osmosis or a UV system?  

Yes, but just here in the US.  After building my house in 1986 and drilling a well the water would not pass the Health Dept standards.  I tried everything thay said including gallons of bleach and large clorine pool tablets.  Must be too many cows in the fields near by.  So I installed a UV light and the next test passed.  The UV light will kill 100% of the bacteria but will not do anything of course for other issues.  For anything else the Reverse Osmosis is the way to go.  The only way to know for sure which system you need is to have your water tested.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
What intrigues me more is that you are intimate familiar with heavy water.......he, he.

Heavy water, formally called deuterium oxide (H2O or D2O), is a form of water that contains a larger than normal amount of the hydrogen isotope deuterium, (also known as heavy hydrogen, which can be symbolized as 

H or D) rather than the common hydrogen-1isotope (called protium, symbolized as 
H) that makes up most of the hydrogen in normal water.

Heavy water is used in the Canadian Candu nuclear reactors.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
DILUTE bleach should be fine - it is after all what is used on babies' bottlles and teats. To quote a well known brand ("Milton") "Milton Fluid is made of an aqueous solution of sodium hypochlorite and 16.5% sodium chloride.

The Milton Fluid that is available to buy is a strength of 2% sodium hypochlorite." 30 minutes immersion in this is apparently the same as ten minute's boiling.

in the past i would use a very small, amount of bleach a few tablespoons,

swish it around,

then add HOT water a liter or 2.

swish it around,,, let it stand a short time, 5-10 min at the most,

Rinse with small amount VINEGAR,then hot water or just plain water for finial rinse, does wonders..

1 post stated if you want to see how your water looks, is to look on the toilet, that's so accurate,

you see the TRUE state the water is in

...................................................................................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_sterilizing_fluid

Milton sterilizing fluid is produced by Procter & Gamble for sterilization uses. It contains 1% sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) and 16.5% sodium chloride (NaCl; common salt). 1:80 dilution is used to sterilise babies' feeding utensils. A 1:20 solution is isotonic with body fluids. 1:4 dilution is used for wound management applications. This contains 0.25% w/v available chlorine and has a pH of 10.5 - 11.2.[1][2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Guys when copy and paste from wiki or any other source please right click and select paste as plain text. This would have eliminate the 500 links I see in this thread. Wiki does not have 500 links back to this forum so why would we want to give them so many links back. Yes of course leave a link to the source at the bottom of pasted content.

You can also set that all pasting is done in plain text, see attachments. 

post-1-0-43959100-1413017062_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-93109700-1413017063_thumb.jpg