Drinking Water

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I wonder how wise it is for the water companies to keep reusing the same lids.  Most of them do that if you don't pay extra and keep an eye on them.  I tried ending my bottles in without lids and a few different companies refused to take them without the lids.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

We replace them once a year with new ones.

I wonder how wise it is to continue using the plastic bottles. I've used the same ones for going on 4 years. Maybe time to start new?

There was something in the UK the other day about not re-using plastic containers too often as they develop microscopic cracks and bacteria form colonies in these.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We replace them once a year with new ones.

I wonder how wise it is to continue using the plastic bottles. I've used the same ones for going on 4 years. Maybe time to start new?

There was something in the UK the other day about not re-using plastic containers too often as they develop microscopic cracks and bacteria form colonies in these.

Even the small plastic bottles should not be re-used for more than 2 weeks as they give off BPA.

If you want to see what tap water is like, look inside your toilet tank.

The water filter on page 2 that fits on your faucet is too slow, even at 1st world pressure. You will forget what you went there for before your glass is full.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
Even the small plastic bottles should not be re-used for more than 2 weeks as they give off BPA.  

Yikes!

(From Wikipedia...)

"A 2009 study had shown exposure to BPA in the workplace was associated with self-reported adult male sexual dysfunction.[147]

A 2009 study on Chinese workers in BPA factories found that workers were four times more likely to report erectile dysfunction, reduced sexual desire and overall dissatisfaction with their sex life than workers with no heightened BPA exposure.[148] BPA workers were also seven times more likely to have ejaculation difficulties. They were also more likely to report reduced sexual function within one year of beginning employment at the factory, and the higher the exposure, the more likely they were to have sexual difficulties.[149] A 2010 study found that fetuses and young children exposed to BPA were at risk for secondary sexual developmental changes, brain and behavior changes and immune disorders.[150]

A study released in 2013 demonstrated that BPA in weak concentrations is sufficient to have a negative effect on the human testicle. The researchers found that a concentration equal to 2 micrograms per litre of bisphenol A in the culture medium, a concentration equal to the average concentration generally found in the blood, urine and amniotic fluid of the population, was sufficient to produce the effects. The researchers stated that exposure of pregnant women to bisphenol A may be one of the causes of congenital masculinisation defects of the hypospadia and cryptorchidism types, the frequency of which has doubled overall in the past 40 years. They also suggested that "it is also possible that bisphenol A contributes to a reduction in the production of sperm and the increase in the incidence of testicular cancer in adults that have been observed in recent decades."[151]"

Thank you and that's the last plastic bottle that I re-use!

• Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted

Never seen any mold in any of our bottles here ever..Something doesnt sound right!

A mate that runs a purification center told me that all the water is chlorinated which kills everything..The 24 stage filtration process removes the chemicals and the water is stripped of everything..Minerals included.

I saw a CNN documentary once where they sent scientists too Africa to prove/disprove claims that leaving drinking water bottles of bad water in the sun kills all known germs..The type of water tested was killing locals.

Sample bottles tested with lab tests showed some real nasties..Put on the roof for two days in hot sun changed all that.

Clean and safe to drink..

Google "sodis sun water purification".

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Put on the roof for two days in hot sun changed all that

I don't need to Google that.  I've done it with water left in the back of my truck for use in my radiator.  After a few days it is green and yuchy and I don't know anyone who would dare drink it or even put it in their radiator.  I found out that it stays in good condition (for radiator use) when you add chlorine bleach, but if you use too much and some idiot grabs it out of the back of your truck and gives it to their puppy then the puppy dies a horrible death.  But your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted

Put on the roof for two days in hot sun changed all that

I don't need to Google that.  I've done it with water left in the back of my truck for use in my radiator.  After a few days it is green and yuchy and I don't know anyone who would dare drink it or even put it in their radiator.  I found out that it stays in good condition (for radiator use) when you add chlorine bleach, but if you use too much and some idiot grabs it out of the back of your truck and gives it to their puppy then the puppy dies a horrible death.  But your mileage may vary.

Actually,I was wrong..That documentary by CNN was about 3 years ago! As you say..Leave it too long and algae will turn it green..

No idea if the algae will kill puppies.. I`ll let you know. 

6 hours in hot sun is all the scientists say is required.and is now recommended by the world health organisation.

High energy ultraviolet radiation from the sun can also be used to kill pathogens in water. The SODIS method uses a combination of UV light and increased temperature (solar thermal) for disinfecting water using only sunlight and plastic PET bottles. SODIS is a free and effective method for decentralized water treatment, usually applied at the household level and is recommended by the World Health Organization as a viable method for household water treatment and safe storage.[1] SODIS is already applied in numerous developing countries. Educational pamphlets on the method are available in many languages,[2] each equivalent to the English-language version.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
No idea if the algae will kill puppies.. I`ll let you know.

It was not the algae that killed the puppy, I believe it was too much bleach in the water that I put in to kill the algae that also killed the puppy when someone 'borrowed' my radiator water to give to the puppy.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Has anybody tried Reverse Osmosis or a UV system?  

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:cheersty: I like that pineapple idea, but just to be safe drop a liter of rum in the jug,

• Like 2