Curley
Posted
Posted

Has anyone used transferwise yet?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Has anyone used transferwise yet?

I looked at it from a Canadian point of view - which didn't take very long.  It is apparently available here but I say that because  they are offering Canadian franchises.  When I compared it to WorldRemit, I gave WR the win.  Best I could tell, TransferWise required a bank to send your money to -which means if you were using this to transfer your money to yourself, it isn't going to happen for the first little while...  Not until you are in the Philippines long enough to get a bank account.  And we all know that takes a bit of time to satisfy the Philippines before they will let you have one.  The rates to send to a bank appear to be similar so no savings there - but with WR, if you send for pickup?  Cheaper rates!  Plus all the special benefits?  Most of those are at WR too.  So I really do not see any reason to change companies at this time.  

Perhaps for non-Canadians, it might work out better?

• 1 month later...
virginprune
Posted
Posted

I sent money here to myself by WU before arrival which was ok but exchange and fees a bit much. Whilst here I have drawn money from my UK HSBC from Bpi ATM and was surprised that I got a better rate and even with the usual fees it still worked out much cheaper than WU. When back in UK I will give WorldRemit a try as it seems to be a preferred method to sending money.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I recently sent money to myself via WU. Made the transaction from the Philippines, sending money from my US bank account. I was using  the USA WU. I would complete the transaction and receive notification and 15  minutes later the transaction would be disallowed. After l called WU ( USA) to complain, my transaction was approved wit absolutely no added information other than how unhappy l was, especially as l had called them before l ever left the US to make sure I could send myself money.

Chapter 2 is my encounter with  the stepford wives robots at financial institutions to receive the largess provided by....me!  First stop is a bank that is a WU location, their WU system was down.

Next stop is up a floor to WU's own office, where l am informed they do not keep bales of money on hand. I barely stopped myself from noting that thereare two banks in the same building with the WU office. Filling out the paperwork was interesting. They "needed" a contact number for receiver. I 

noted that sender and receiver had the same name and DNA and sender had already given a contact number. I inquired if the receivers contact number was optional? I mean can people who do not have phones receive money? Blank look from stepford wive robot.  You can send money to yourself Western Union. Personally, I think you could start an account from scratch with some other company and it would be no more difficult. WU telling me it was all because of security was not exactly true because l gave absolutely no new information over the phone, other than l was not pleased. Actually l don't see how they could have used that to identify me as l am usually patient with them. ; )

Edited by robert k

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sorry made a mistake in spelling I did go to WorldRemit ..... the US is not listed in any of their drop down lists as well as Philippines .... has anyone tried to send money to themselves or to someone else from the US while living here in the Philippines .....

hmm I can see the US at the bottom of the drop down and seen here when selected

post-1-0-89735800-1417759670_thumb.jpg

This is the correct site

https://www.worldremit.com

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Still delighted with World Remit:

Nice BBC article about the company and its founder, here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30192220

Edited by Methersgate

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Sorry made a mistake in spelling I did go to WorldRemit ..... the US is not listed in any of their drop down lists as well as Philippines .... has anyone tried to send money to themselves or to someone else from the US while living here in the Philippines .....

hmm I can see the US at the bottom of the drop down and seen here when selected

attachicon.gifwr-us.jpg

This is the correct site

https://www.worldremit.com

DUH .... 1%20%28103%29.gif...... Ok so I'm a dumb arse .... you have to select US in the drop down at the far right and then the Philippines shows up .....  :bash: :hystery: ..... going to definately give them a try .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I use WU all the time always been great vranch right by my house and everywhere in the Phils .  I send myself money all the time because its still cheaper than the bank 

eg: 200 +pesos from the bank in the Phils 5 dollars from my bank and a crappy exchange rate at the atm  so it cost around 25 dollars to pull 10000 pesos out 

And western union sets the rate at sending so I send on good days sometimes I have 6 month old transactions .

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Still delighted with World Remit:

Nice BBC article about the company and its founder, here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30192220

Thanks for the link. That has really helped me make up my mind about who to use for future transfers.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

Azimo is also good, but it can only be used from the UK I think, Cost is about £ 5.

• Like 1