What Would You Do Different?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Soooo what would you do different?
Only come with what you can bring in 2 suitcases

This is interesting.  I got rid of everything and only came with what I could bring in 2 suitcases.  What I would do different is pack as much of my quality things into BB boxes that I could and send them here.  So as you can see, everyone is different and you are going to have to decide what your personality favors.

• Like 5

MikeB
Posted
Posted

As for what to bring, there's no right or wrong; I shipped 2 or 3 BB boxes that arrived a couple months after I did. I was very happy to get it. I shipped a 46 in Samsung TV that I still have so that was a good decision. The bicycle I shipped I have basically never used. All of the garden tools that I gave away before I left because I thought I would never use them I've had to repurchase because that turned out to be wrong. The jackets, long pants, and shirts have all been given away. A lot depends on where you end up and that's often hard to predict.

• Like 3

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I shipped a 46 in Samsung TV that I still have so that was a good decision.

I shipped a 46 in Samsung TV that I still have so that was a good decision. The bicycle I shipped I have basically never used.

Wow, what were the shipping costs on these items? How long did they take to arrive; were they held up long at customs?

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

They were sent Balikbayan Box, took 2 months - no customs.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

They were sent Balikbayan Box, took 2 months - no customs.

That's LUCK    :)

Customs don't check all, but more than earlier. The custom fee can become VERY high... 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Customs don't check all, but more than earlier. The custom fee can become VERY high

Customs fees on a BB box?  About 75% of the expats I know have used them and I don't know as single person who has been checked or had to pay a custom fee.  I thought that was just one of those things they send out a news bulletin on to scare people into being honest.  Have you had a bb box checked?  Anyone here?  What was the result?

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Have you had a bb box checked? Anyone here? What was the result?

I only ship two boxes per year.  Never have been checked and never a problem.  Between my friends in our local group we send about 35-40 boxes per year and same,...never a problem being checked.  Only one several years ago had been opened by a thief and a new laptop and new shoes were taken that was not listed on the shippment list.  I still think the reciever may have sold them.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Customs don't check all, but more than earlier. The custom fee can become VERY high

Customs fees on a BB box?  About 75% of the expats I know have used them and I don't know as single person who has been checked or had to pay a custom fee.  I thought that was just one of those things they send out a news bulletin on to scare people into being honest.  Have you had a bb box checked?  Anyone here?  What was the result?

There is no custom fee at BB boxes IF the rules are followed, but many don't   :)   

(They are suppoused to be SUPPORT to Filipins, NOT to transport expat's moving goods to ourselves...)

I haven't send any BB, but wasm't it in this forum it was reported San Fransisco transporter had got punishment fees for BB boxes they had transported, and hadn't follow the rules. So they started  to check if senders follow the rules...

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Jon, your check list shown really nails it for me as well. I have it printed out as an all in one guide. My only question is will a one way ticket be allowed if I opt to get a BB stamp for my wife-or do the airlines require it no matter what. Although the fare difference is not that much from what I see with Phl Airlines anyway.

• Like 3

fred
Posted
Posted

Vacation/holiday insurance good for up to a year if you can get it.

• Like 2