What Would You Do Different?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
My only question is will a one way ticket be allowed if I opt to get a BB stamp for my wife-or do the airlines require it no matter what

Steve, I have used the BB visa many times. I have NEVER been asked to show a return ticket at immigration (to my knowledge anyway). It is my understanding that it is the airlines that enforce it. Only once was I questioned about the "throw away ticket" at LAX. But that one time if we did not have one we would have been denied boarding. Sooooooooooo to quote Mr. Eastwood it all depends "Do you feel lucky (not gonna call you a punk lolol).

I know there are rules and regulations about immigration entry into NAIA. I am not commenting on them, only on my own experiences with the process. IMHO a 50 buck throw away ticket is well worth not having the anxiety of wondering if we could fly or not.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jon, your check list shown really nails it for me as well. I have it printed out as an all in one guide. My only question is will a one way ticket be allowed if I opt to get a BB stamp for my wife-or do the airlines require it no matter what. Although the fare difference is not that much from what I see with Phl Airlines anyway.

I Normally get a line about Splitting hairs here but I will say it again just so i can get some peace in my head i said it.

When you are leaving the US or any Other Country that allows a passport entry into the RP, you (The Foreigner) are travelling on what will become a 9a Tourist Entry. the BB Stamp is not a Visa and so therefore you must have an onward ticket, The BB stamp is issued at your point of Entry in the RP the Airline Staff may not always be aware of the Privilege you may or not reicieve when Arriving.

It is not always a certainty that you will always get the BB stamp 

It really is just not worth the hassle  to try and leave without an onward ticket as you may be denied boarding. Those are the Strict Rules laid out by the BOI to Airlines and as we have discussed before, Not many Airlines will want to pay the Fines and Fly you back if the rules are not adhered too. (This would be at their cost) just think about it. Your wife either travels to the RP alone or is left standing at Immigration and they don't let you in should the BB be Denied.

For me NO! 

Morning All.

JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

I agree with JP, why risk the hassle? Buy a cheapo ticket on Airasia or one of the other low end Asian carriers and not worry at either end (immigration or boarding from the US). PAL asked for my onward ticket in San Francisco my last trip in October. I promptly whipped out my 2000p ticket to Malaysia and that satisfied them. Upon arrival at NAIA Terminal 2, the immigration officer gave me a BB Stamp without issue. It went really smooth and we weren't asked for the marriage certificate (even though we had it on hand in case).

• Like 5

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much-onward ticket no matter what-no exceptions :th_noproblem:  ...I will add to my list...Kuala Lampur here I come (maybe not). 

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much-onward ticket no matter what-no exceptions :th_noproblem:  ...I will add to my list...Kuala Lampur here I come (maybe not). 

You can get a Manila- Kota Kinablu ( spell check ) with Cebu Air on a promo for around 1400 pesos with tax and add on's cost you around double that, hardly worth the hassle for $50 odd bucks to have problems getting on a flight, just do it.

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have an alibi or two....

Once you get here, have your wife enroll in Philhealth Insurance. It costs roughly 2500php per year and saves you at least 10% on any hospital stay. The longer you don't use it, the better the % coverage.

Another, get Blue Cross/Blue Shield from the Philippines. It costs about $150/mo and carries at least 200,000php coverage at the hospital.

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Lots of good info in this thread, but I think the one thing I would do differently is to take advice with a grain of salt.  I should have been listening to expats that are in my age range (40's), living here full-time, and sharing a similar attitude and outlook as me.  I think I posted this before but it's worth re-stating.  The Philippines experience is different for everyone and different expats will naturally have different problems.

As an example, I was 41, never married and without children when I moved here.  So to get advice from 60ish retirees or younger K-1 visa guys was just silly.   No offense to those people, but I had different plans. needs and tolerances than them.  My point is that one size does not fit all, and just like all Filipinas are not cut from the same cloth, neither are we :)  

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I should have been listening to expats that are in my age range (40's), living here full-time, and sharing a similar attitude and outlook as me.  

So the younger expats have different visa needs than older ones? Younger ones know all about sending boxes and laws/rules etc? Can you give an example of advice on this forum or anywhere that is not applicable to any age? 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
So the younger expats have different visa needs than older ones?

Aren't you still in your 40's JGF?  You tell that young whipper snapper  :hystery:

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Lots of good info in this thread, but I think the one thing I would do differently is to take advice with a grain of salt.  I should have been listening to expats that are in my age range (40's), living here full-time, and sharing a similar attitude and outlook as me.  I think I posted this before but it's worth re-stating.  The Philippines experience is different for everyone and different expats will naturally have different problems.

As an example, I was 41, never married and without children when I moved here.  So to get advice from 60ish retirees or younger K-1 visa guys was just silly.   No offense to those people, but I had different plans. needs and tolerances than them.  My point is that one size does not fit all, and just like all Filipinas are not cut from the same cloth, neither are we :)

I meet regularly with a group of expats, (mostly 60+) and I listen to all their stories. They come from a diverse background of experiences (offshore oil, marine surveying, private sector, manufacturing, maritime services, merchant marine, retired military,  etc.) I take all advice with a grain of salt.  But I also keep their info in the back of my mind. I definitely do not want to relearn any of their mistakes.

I would not group the advice by age but rather personality, background and goals. I rather enjoy the insight obtained from them. 

• Like 2