Trust Or Sort Of.

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

I thought this might grab some deep thoughts and some touchy ground...joining this site and watching you tube for few months many hours..ok learned generally in life about earning trust and such...this being a big word.like having handcuffs with no key..without the key you are locked limited..with the key ..knowing when to use it...trusting filipino's i see the difference..good and bad like any....here we learn and receive advice from expats with experience..its awesome ten thumbs up to all of you......i want to know any stories or experiences that are bad .have been bad from entrusting a fellow expat..maybe not so much as bad advice.but more of the possibilities of being taken advantage of...reason i asked this is because i do believe being new and inexperienced in a foreign land and especially a third world country we will have guard up but..im thinking very volnurable......i want to believe all expats would be like brothers of sorts ....friendships and trust are challeging enough in home country.im looking for the bad stories because im sure there are plenty of good stories of fellow comrades ..wether its a personal experience or a situation you might of heard about or know about

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Please check which forum you start new topics in, This has nothing to do with living cost. Moving topic.

• Like 1

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Sry jolly bout topic posted wrong still getting the hang of the forem... :)

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

What Brett says Kaz.

I see two different types of trust here. 1st asking questions here on the forum, 2nd entering into a "personal" relationship here with a fellow expat.

When asking questions here I follow President Regan's quote "Trust but Verify" The answers to questions here are almost always sincere and correct IN THAT PERSONS experience. However here in the Philippines the process for getting a drivers license (for example) is listed on the LTO website and the Los Pina's branch might follow it, drive 20 minutes to the Paranaque branch and there might or might not be a small change. It all depends on what the boss of that branch wants to do. Another example is review an earlier post about opening a bank account :1 (103): . You will be amazed (or not) about the different experiences members have had when dealing with different branches in different parts of the country.

Trusting an expat in person? Well I am with Brett on this one. Its all up to you and your gut. Having said that, I would treat an expat here just like a Filipino. If on the first time that you meet him and he asks for money,,,,,,,find a new friend :cheersty: .  

• Like 4

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Theres a mentality here that if you loan a guy twenty bucks and he doesnt pay you back.he avoids you to avoid paying..we says its the best twenty bucks we spent..lol...i think i might go broke if i bring that mentality to phils.hehe...and your point on financial...its hatd to trust banks here in usa too.from my online experience i learned that the phils i have chatted have no problem asking for money assuming we have...i didnt think that be an issue with an expat..but money is a funny thing..funny money.lol

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sry jolly bout topic posted wrong still getting the hang of the forem... :)

Its OK, I will bill you later  :tiphat:

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I agree... if it's too good to be true, run as fast as you can. There are many expats that have good intentions. However, there quite a few who best be stayed away from. Never lend any money to anyone. When you first come here to live, you will beset with "opportunities"; business investments (scam), house for sale (no clear title), land for sale (doesn't own or no clear title), I love you within 5 minutes of meeting someone (gold digger) and the list goes on..... Never never rush into anything here. If you get a bad feeling about something, listen to your gut. It usually is right even when you can't translate what is being said. 

Some new expats latch onto other expats thinking that they have a common bond and will look out for each other. I would go with a pleasant attitude but do not trust anyone here until you have had plenty of time to make some observations. 

• Like 5